SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Taking the Lord's name in vain: It's not about cussing

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
roadsign

Re: Calling yourself God's chosen in vain

Quote:
To take the name of the Lord in vain, means that salvation has not been accomplished in the individual.

Scripture says this a thousand ways.
Examples:

Many will say "Lord, Lord....
They have taken his name .... in vain.

The nation of Israel: After experienciing all those miracles and tasting the goodness of God, they rejected God, and so their title as God's chosen, was in vain. "They did not enter his rest".(see Hebrews)

The church of Laodicea: "You are neither cold or hot (neither a professing atheist nor a genuine Christian) God said, "I am about to spit you out...." (Their Christian label was in vain for sure!)

Galatians speaks all about "taking the Lord's name in vain." Following the "other gospel" is taking his name in vain. "A man reeps what he sows." So if he trusts in the flesh (ie legalism = the other gospel), he reaps the results: alienation from God.

Yes, it's all about rejecting all that Christ came to do - atone for sin and bring salvation.

Also, consider that every Christian denomination hands out labels in vain - they promise those who comply with THEIR standards the title: Christian.
That includes those who promise salvation to everyone who once "asked Jesus into their heart" . Statistics say that only 5% of those who claim to be born again really are. Well, I don't know how you can tell, but I suspect that this estimation is not an exageration.

Any more??
I'd like to make an article out of the Biblical examples.
Diane

2005/11/4 8:29Profile
groh_frog

Re:

Diane, I see what you're trying to say, and I agree that taking the Lord's name in vain is indeed a transgression of the commandment, showing that work needs to be done in the individual. But to say that someone who has used that name in vain (as in a swear word) is not saved in kind of crazy. We all fall short, and we're all working on something or another in our lives. But unlike that statistic asserts, you can't judge a person's salvation, especially based on their faults.

Now, I'm not justifying this, just to make myself clear. I agree that those that the Bible speaks of that are quoted as saying "Lord, Lord", and still perishing, have used the name of the Lord in vain. But I also believe it's a totally different context than of the commandment. Don't confuse them just because the word is the same- it's not saying the same thing.

Grace and Peace...

2005/11/4 10:32Profile
roadsign

Re: clarification

Quote:
But to say that someone who has used that name in vain (as in a swear word) is not saved in kind of crazy

Why don't you take a quick peek again at the article at the beginning of the thread? That will help you understand why I feel that the third command is not about saying swear words.

It's about taking Fred Bickle's name and calling yourself Mrs. Fred Bickle when really he is not your husband. You just think he is. You have taken his name in vain, because you won't receive any of the priveleges of that marriage relationship - which really doesn't exist.

And He will say, Depart from me, I never KNEW you"
Diane

2005/11/4 13:26Profile
groh_frog

Re:

Alright. I see what you're saying. I think it was just a little unclear on that point. But I agree with what you mean.

Grace and Peace...

2005/11/6 0:30Profile
rookie

Re:

Sister Diane wrote:

Quote:
I'd like to make an article out of the Biblical examples.

Many times in my reading of Scripture, certain thoughts come to the forefront of my mind. The substance of these thoughts form a kind of path that the Lord is taking me on so that I might come to some understanding which I have no clue as to where He is leading. Yet as time passes the understanding is realized by His method. Here alittle there a little, line upon line, precept upon precept. I believe your thought about this commandment is one of those events which light the path.

As I read again through the OT I will search for the grace that God provided to the OT saints that enabled them to obey this command.

I suspect there is much to be gleaned of this mystery that is revealed in the OT. As I read through Psalms and Proverbs, as I read through Jeremiah and Isaiah I am sure that there will be words of God provision for those who are faithful. The nature of God never changes. Where God calls God also provides.

In Christ
Jeff

2005/11/8 12:43Profile
rookie

Re:

Listen to these Scriptures and how they speak of sacrifice.

1Sam. 15:22 So Samuel said:
“Has the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices,
As in obeying the voice of the LORD?
Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice,
And to heed than the fat of rams.

Hos. 6:6 For I desire mercy and not sacrifice,
And the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.

Rom. 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.

Now listen to the portions of Psalm 50:

4 He shall call to the heavens from above,
And to the earth, that He may judge His people:
5 “Gather My saints together to Me,
Those who have made a covenant with Me by sacrifice.”
6 Let the heavens declare His righteousness,
For God Himself is Judge.

14 Offer to God thanksgiving,
And pay your vows to the Most High.
15 Call upon Me in the day of trouble;
I will deliver you, and you shall glorify Me.”

Do you see these faithful and by what type of sacrifice are they His? Listen to those who offer the wrong type of sacrifice and what God has to say of these who take His name in vain.

16 But to the wicked God says:
“What right have you to declare My statutes,
Or take My covenant in your mouth,
17 Seeing you hate instruction
And cast My words behind you?
18 When you saw a thief, you consented with him,
And have been a partaker with adulterers.
19 You give your mouth to evil,
And your tongue frames deceit.
20 You sit and speak against your brother;
You slander your own mother’s son.
21 These things you have done, and I kept silent;
You thought that I was altogether like you;
But I will rebuke you,
And set them in order before your eyes.
22 “Now consider this, you who forget God,
Lest I tear you in pieces,
And there be none to deliver:
23 Whoever offers praise glorifies Me;
And to him who orders his conduct aright
I will show the salvation of God.”

Do you hear in this Scripture the 3rd Commandment?

Again,

“What right have you to declare My statutes,
Or take My covenant in your mouth,
17 Seeing you hate instruction
And cast My words behind you?

Do you hear the words that judges those who take the name of the Lord in vain? Do you see the list of acts that by them they that do them are judged?

In Christ
Jeff

2005/11/9 12:31Profile
roadsign

references

These scriptures are all proclaiming the exact same message: Do not take God's name in vain.

Thank you, I will keep these references. I suspect that you have only gleaned the surface.

Again: We need to be careful how we interpret scripture. When our interpretation seems to be a stray thought, not repeated anywhere else, then we need to beware. Let the wider context interpret.
To limit the third commandment to swear words really misses the mark, as far as I'm concerned. But it's a handy interpretation because it keeps us from facing our own hypocrisy.
Diane

2005/11/9 12:45Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Taking the Lord's name in vain: It's not about cussing

I believe there are probably many different ways in which we take the Lord's name in vain. A couple that come to mind are;

Any time His name is used, especially in prayer, without the awe and reverance that it deserves.

Any time we make a promise to the Lord and then break it.

In Christ,

Ron

2005/11/9 13:21Profile
rookie

Re:

There is a spiritual precept in which we as His children become one with the Son and the Father. His children will grow to be like Him. Just like there is an opposing spiritual precept where those who remain in bondage to Satan become one with Him. With this thought in mind, I would like to point out another verse sited in Psalm 50.

God declares that those who "cast my words behind you" fail to come to an understanding of who God is. Those who reflect the carnal nature and not His are judged by these words. "You thought that I was altoghter like you..."

Those who give the sacrifice God has always required will be blessed in this way.

23 Whoever offers praise glorifies Me;
And to him who orders his conduct aright
I will show the salvation of God.”

To choose to remain the way we always were and yet claim His covenant sets us in violation of the 3rd commandment.

What is His warning?

But I will rebuke you,
And set them in order before your eyes.
22 “Now consider this, you who forget God,
Lest I tear you in pieces,

The ten commandments teaches one that he should fear Him who created all things.

In Christ
Jeff

2005/11/9 15:09Profile
rookie

Re:

Ezekiel 33:

23 Then the word of the Lord came to me saying; 24 Son of man, they who inhabit those ruins in the land of Israel are saying; "[b]Abraham was only one, and he inherited the land. But we are many; the land has been given to us as a possesion."[/b]

Here again we see that a people have claimed the covenant of God. And here again we will see that they have taken the Lord's name in vain.

25 "Therefore say to them, "Thus says the Lord God; "You eat meat with blood, you lift up your eyes toward your idols, and shed blood. Should you then possess the land? 26 You rely on your sword, you commit abominations, and you defile one another's wives, Should you then possess the land? 27 'Say thus to them, "Thus says the Lord God, "As I live, surely those who are in the ruins shall fall by the sword, and the one who is in the open field I will give to the beasts to be devoured, and those who are in the strongholds and caves shall die of the pestilence...."

Here we see once again the penalty for taking the name of the Lord in vain. What does Scripture say as to why these people stumble?

30 "As for you, son of man, the children of your people are talking about you beside the walls and in the doors of the houses; and the speak to one another, everyone saying to his brother, "PLEASE COME AND HEAR WHAT THE WORD IS THAT COMES FOR THE LORD."

31 "So they come to you as people do, they sit before you as MY PEOPLE, and they hear your words, BUT THEY DO NOT DO THEM; for with their mouth they show much love, but THEIR HEARTS PURSUE THEIR OWN GAIN. 32 Indeed you are to them as a very lovely song of one who has a pleasant voice and can play well on an instrument; for they hear your words, BUT THEY DO NOT DO THEM. 33 "And when this comes to pass--surely it will come--then they will know that a prophet has been among them."

How do they fail? They choose not to do what they here. Yet they know God and yet they claim His name.

Luke 8:14, "Now the ones that fell among thorns and those who, when they have heard, go out and are choked with cares, riches, and pleasures of life, and bring no fruit to maturity."

In Christ
Jeff

2005/11/10 15:35Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy