SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Taking the Lord's name in vain: It's not about cussing

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
roadsign

Taking the Lord's name in vain: It's not about cussing

Here is the first section of my thoughts regarding this topic:

TAKING THE LORD'S NAME IN VAIN

Most of us learned the third commandment when we were very young. It says,

"Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord your God in vain."Ex. 20:7

I understood this to mean: Don't cuss using God's name. I will never forget when I was in Grade three and one little boy broke that rule. There were dire consequences for him. For some time after that all the school yard conversation seemed to be absorbed in discussion about that incident. We all got the message: Those who didn't want to get in trouble didn't dare get caught using bad language (with God's name) and those who wanted attention used God's name profanely to get a rise out of everyone.

Conscientious people are offended when they hear the Lord's name used in a profane way; and rightly so. Those who were raised respectably learned not to speak God's name wrongly. Instead they might express strong emotion by using toned-down expletives 'Gee!', Gosh!' or 'Golly!' or Gee whiz! But for some (like my religious authorities at the time) even those words were considered to be 'unwholesome talk' [Eph 4:29]

So what do you say when your thumb gets bashed by the hammer? Do you shout out, "Praise the Lord anyway!"? Is this more pious than saying, "For Christ's sake!" After all, we are supposed to praise him all the times. But we should do all for his sake, too. What about saying "For Pete's sake!" Is that not taking Pete's name in vain? (Oh, but Peter was only an apostle!)

Strong's Concordance clarifies the meaning of "vain" by giving some other meanings: deceptive, falsely, lying, idolatry, uselessness [7723 shav, Hebrew]

I don't think that the New International Version of the Bible gets these meanings across clearly enough. It simply says: "You shall not misuse the name…"

I will attempt to describe my thoughts on the meaning of this commandment:

Taking a name - the implications

What does it mean when we take on someone's name? The marriage tradition gives us a good analogy. A woman can't take the name of any man just because she likes him or his house, or because he is good looking and has lots of money. She marries a man only after he has invited her to be his wife. Through a promise, he receives her into a permanent covenant relationship with him. She promises to remain faithful. She surrenders her own surname and takes the name of her husband. She becomes the Mistress (Mrs.) of ___(his name) and receives all the rights and privileges associated with that relationship.

In many cultures marriage has been a form of social security. The woman had a secure place to live and be provided for. Her responsibility was to raise children under her husband's name. In turn, the husband promised to protect and provide for her. She and the children were safe. As long as she remained faithful, she was also safe from other men taking advantage of her. Taking the name of her husband had a lot of implications. It was not just a name.

If however she divorced and kept the surname of her ex-husband, the rights and privileges of that relationship could no longer be assumed. Legally she was not the mistress (Mrs.) of her husband. She was only using that name nominally. Everyone would realize that.

Taking God's name - the implications

We can't freely take God's name just because we like it. God's name is only for those whom he calls and receives into a permanent covenant relationship with him. He receives the genuinely repentant person - those who leaves their ways of sin and calls on him for salvation:"Everyone who calls on the NAME of the Lord will be saved."[Rom. 10:13]

More here, [url=http://www.thewayback.net/articles/takingthelordsname.htm]Taking the Lord's Name in Vain[/url]
including:

"Taking his name: the awesome priveleges"

Taking the name "Christian" in vain.

"The Consequences of taking his name in vain" (very serious!!!)

"The solution" (repentance)

Diane

2005/10/27 7:57Profile
LetUsPray

Re: Taking the Lord's name in vain: What does it mean?

Amen! Thank you for this Diane.

Romans 8:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Did we ever read this verse? This verse doesn’t say: For whosoever shall call the Lord shall be saved, but it clearly states in every translation I have read: For whosoever shall call UPON THE NAME OF the Lord shall be saved.

It is for this reason that Jesus told His disciples that we should ask the Father IN HIS NAME, for each time we do this; we call UPON THE NAME OF our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

It is for this reason that Paul writes that those who are truly saved have received the Spirit of Adoption, or, the Spirit of His Son, by which we cry out: Abba! Father! If we don’t have that urge within us, maybe we should re-read our Bibles and find out why.

Paul told us to be imitators of him, as he was of Jesus Christ. He NEVER told us to be imitators of him, as he was of Stephen, or any other human being or group of human beings in the entire New Testament.

2005/10/27 8:44Profile
groh_frog

Do you show the respect that the Lord deserves?

This article showed a different side to what is commonly taught. What it comes down to, is reverance to the Lord.

I had a friend when I was in High School. For his age, I'd have to say that he was an amazing witness in his daily life- you could just see that he lived differently than most did.

One of the things that I learned to respect the most from him was his respect for the Lord. Not just in his walk and talk, but in everything.

One day I was getting a ride from him after school- he drove an old broken down suzuki samurai. Well, on the back seat was his Bible. Well, our group of people needed some space, so I moved to set the bible on the floor to free up the seat. Almost as soon as I started to move, he truned around and said, "please don't do that. Could you hold it? That's a very important book you have there." (now, I don't remember word-for-word, but that was the jist of it)

Now, he didn't bow down to the Bible at night, or anything like that. Don't mistake it as him making an idol, or anything. But his reverance ran so deeply...

Anyway, I respect that. Your witness can lie in your reverance. It shows.

Again, I liked this article. It's good to see an outward change come from an inward one. Cool website, too, Diane.

Grace and Peace...

2005/10/27 8:47Profile
roadsign

Re: More than respect

Quote:
This article showed a different side to what is commonly taught. What it comes down to, is reverance to the Lord.

Well, I think it means much more than that. It means, don't call yourself a Christian if in reality, you are not trusting in him, loving him with your entire life - your hearts, soul, and mind, and if you "have other gods before you", other idols in your heart. This issue is revisited in Revelation in the letters to the seven churches (You have lost your first love.

This interpretation seems unusual to us, but it is repeated through out scripture, including the curse for disobedience: "for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless".

I ask myself, why do we always assume that this has to do with cuss words. If that was the correct interpretation, then why would God place it here - near to top of the ten commandments. Is that really the most important issue that God has with people? What about the heart issue - from where all else overflows?

Jesus said, "Few find the way". Those who think of themselves as Christians, but aren't one of God's, don't wish to have their deception uncovered. Their interpretation of this verse (bad language) fits far better into their legalistic frame of mind where the a focus is on outer behavior. this interpretation absolves them of their own rebellion. This shallow interpretation is really the result of following the "different gospel" that Paul speaks about in Galatians. (That is WORTH checking into!!!)

I suspect this thread is not of interest to the vast majority. Their greater desire is to avoid anything that may bring innner conviction, and instead their interest remains on something outside of themselves; example: the "sinnners" out there - (like those who swear and cuss), false groups, issues, etc etc.

Just watch and see........
I wonder if I will be proved wrong..........
Diane

2005/10/28 12:00Profile
roadsign

It's not about cussing

I am revisting this thread (under a slightly modified heading) because I think it ties in with a present discussion about communion.

The Communion/Eucharist ritual is common to all denominiations under the umbrella of "Christian". (ie The Bible is their holy book).

Taking communion when one is not truly born of Christ's Spirit is taking the Lord's name in vain. It is useless, in vain, pointless. That would include the vast majority of professing "Christians"
Diane

2005/10/30 13:43Profile

Re: Taking the Lord's name in vain: It's not about cussing

boys oh boys, I don't know about you, but when I hit my thumb with the hammer on a cold day, the name of jjjjjjeeeeesssssuuuuuussssss cccccchhhhrrrriiiissstttt is drawn out longer then the Golden Gate Bridge. Depends on the degree of the slam, the name of Jesus can be quite satisfying. At least that's what I used to say, but I don't do it anymore. I do speak His name but it's more like, "Oh Jesus look what happened, I hit my thumb" something of that nature. I jammed my finger on the door the other day, and I felt bad for my finger than the overall situation.

I think there is a lesson to be learned here about the many membered body of Christ. How that when one member hurts we all hurt. When I hit that finger, my whole body shuddered, and I began to caress that finger and took some ice to keep the temperature down, as thats what happens in the body when something is injured, blood races to that section, because "life is in the blood", blood is a restorer.

It's beautiful when you look at it that way.

We are the temple of the holy Spirit. If we just mediated on this alone, it would consume us to the place that we would handle the church like we handle a baby who can't walk.

LordJesus & lordKarl

2005/10/30 14:46
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Sister Diane wrote:

Quote:
suspect this thread is not of interest to the vast majority. Their greater desire is to avoid anything that may bring innner conviction, and instead their interest remains on something outside of themselves; example: the "sinnners" out there - (like those who swear and cuss), false groups, issues, etc etc.

Just yesterday as I was listening to the streetpreacher mp3s suggested here by one of the members, this very same thought came to mind. That is, how Ray Comfort's method of using the law to bring about the need for repentance to the non-believer. And one of his questions speaks of cussing. I thought to myself about the very superficial understanding most have concerning this particular law of God.

I am sorry that I did not see your thread earlier.

Paul wrote:

Rom. 2:17 Indeed you are called a Jew, and rest on the law, and make your boast in God, 18 and know His will, and approve the things that are excellent, being instructed out of the law, 19 and are confident that you yourself are a guide to the blind, a light to those who are in darkness, 20 an instructor of the foolish, a teacher of babes, having the form of knowledge and truth in the law. 21 You, therefore, who teach another, do you not teach yourself? You who preach that a man should not steal, do you steal? 22 You who say, “Do not commit adultery,” do you commit adultery? You who abhor idols, do you rob temples? 23 You who make your boast in the law, do you dishonor God through breaking the law? 24 For “the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you,” as it is written.

God is not glorified by those who say they are the people of God and yet show no evidence of the grace that has been given them through the power of the Holy Spirit. Because of this false witness, the heathen say, "Your God has no power."

There is much meat in this thread to be chewed, but out of time for now.

God has blessed you Sis.

In Christ
Jeff

2005/11/2 15:33Profile
roadsign

Re: Missing the point is deadly

Quote:
using the law to bring about the need for repentance to the non-believer. And one of his questions speaks of cussing

I suppose this approach may work for the pagans, but those who were brought up respectably and haven't heard those words around them are not as inclined to use them.

[b][color=993300]The real concern:[/color][/b]
The vast majority of professing Christians who never cuss areFAR MORE GUILTY of taking God's name in vain than cussing pagans. Pagans do not TAKE GOD'S NAME. They don't pretend to be Christians.

The more appropriate questions should be: "Are you trusting in the things of this world, even thought you claim to trust in God". Are you calling yourself a Christian but are worried a lot or hate someone? - or whatever other symptoms of taking God's name in vain.
Diane

2005/11/3 8:18Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re: Taking the Lord's name in vain: It's not about cussing

I have a slightly different take (although it's built on these thought given)
Commandment One : Don't COMPARE God to another - He has no equal.
Commandment Two : Don't CREATE a God to suit your self - He has no equal.
Commandment Three : "I have a NAME, therefore I have a personality. Don't disrespect it" - He has no equal.

Everyother commandment is God looking out for us, and our brethren, and asking us to treat each other with respect. The first three is God simply saying, return me the same courtesy.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

2005/11/3 8:57Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Sister Diane wrote:

"Strong's Concordance clarifies the meaning of "vain" by giving some other meanings: deceptive, falsely, lying, idolatry, uselessness [7723 shav, Hebrew]"

The words deceptive, falsely, lying, idolatry or uselessness convey to me as one who willingly misrepresents the effective working of God's grace in one's life. When one professes to be a disciple of Christ and yet by one's actions proves otherwise.

I forget who said this but I will try to paraphrase his thought.

"When one professes Christ on Sunday and then denies Him the rest of the week by his or her actions, this the world finds unbelievable."

What is it that the world finds unbelievable? Is it not the the lack of power to change one's life in a way that would actually demonstrate to the world the "good news?"

John 17:4

"I have glorified You on the earth. I have finished the work which You have given Me to do. 5 "And now O Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was. 6 I have manifested YOUR NAME to the men whom You have given Me out of the world...10 And all Mine are Yours, and Your are Mine, and I am glorified in them...22 And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one; 23 I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the WORLD MAY KNOW THAT YOU HAVE SENT ME, AND HAVE LOVED THEM AS YOU HAVE LOVE ME."

To take the name of the Lord in vain, to me is to deny the work of the Holy Spirit, to quench the Holy Spirit, and then to blaspheme the Holy Spirit.

To take the name of the Lord in vain, means that salvation has not been accomplished in the individual.

Those who do not "HALLOW" God's name, are those who refuse to be one with Christ and the Father. Thus it is all vainity. One seeks to be something he or she is not and God does not take this frame of mind lightly.

In Christ
Jeff

2005/11/3 11:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy