SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Born Again By What Means

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 Next Page )
PosterThread
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Luke 8:11 “Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. 12 Those by the wayside are the ones who hear; then the devil comes and takes away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved. 13 But the ones on the rock are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, who believe for a while and in time of temptation fall away. 14 Now the ones that fell among thorns are those who, when they have heard, go out and are choked with cares, riches, and pleasures of life, and bring no fruit to maturity.

In these three situations, what might we say of these who hear the word, who God has placed His word in their hearts? What has not taken place?

Listen to Paul's testimony...

Phil. 3:7 But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. 8 Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith; 10 that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death,

Paul is willing to give up everything "for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ..." This knowledge is not just appropriating Scripture and saying that we believe what the Scripture may be conveying to us. For Jesus said,

Luke 8:10 And He said, “To you it has been given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God, but to the rest it is given in parables, that
‘Seeing they may not see,
And hearing they may not understand.’

Many do not see. Why? The answer is found in the first three groups.

In Christ
Jeff

2006/3/1 14:20Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Phil 3:
10 that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death,

Being conformed to His death, is what seperates us from the first three groups. I believe we know in our hearts when we hear the preacher telling us a lie. I believe the Holy Spirit gives witness to this. But we know that in the last days, many will surround themselves with teachers who tickle the ear. The first group allow Satan to steal the word of God out of their heart, lest they should believe and be saved.

Being conformed to His death will free us from that which tempts us. If we die to this world, will not our hearts be free from the fear of men? If we die to this world, will it not mean that the lustful pleasures that we once sought no longer satisfy.

Being conformed to His death will reveal the futility of living for the comforts and pleasures this world has to offer. How many suffer finacial bondage brought about by our desire for the pleasures that this world seeks? How many have not time for God and His people? How many have no time for family? Oh how easily the word of God is chocked out of our lives.

But, many have tried to find peace through their own efforts. They live according to the law. But what does Scripture say to those who have patience?

Luke 8:
15 But the ones that fell on the good ground are those who, having heard the word with a noble and good heart, keep it and bear fruit with patience.

Psalm 119

9 How can a young man cleanse his way?
By taking heed according to Your word.
10 With my whole heart I have sought You;
Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments!
11 Your word I have hidden in my heart,
That I might not sin against You.
12 Blessed are You, O LORD!
Teach me Your statutes.
13 With my lips I have declared
All the judgments of Your mouth.
14 I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies,
As much as in all riches.
15 I will meditate on Your precepts,
And contemplate Your ways.
16 I will delight myself in Your statutes;
I will not forget Your word.

This person knew the answer.

In Christ
Jeff

2006/3/1 16:20Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Luke 8:

12 Those by the wayside are the ones who hear; then the devil comes and takes away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.

2 Timothy 2

2Tim. 2:14 Remind them of these things, charging them before the Lord not to strive about words to no profit, to the ruin of the hearers. 15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 16 But shun profane and idle babblings, for they will increase to more ungodliness. 17 And their message will spread like cancer. Hymenaeus and Philetus are of this sort, 18 who have strayed concerning the truth, saying that the resurrection is already past; and they overthrow the faith of some. 19 Nevertheless the solid foundation of God stands, having this seal: “The Lord knows those who are His,” and, “Let everyone who names the name of Christ depart from iniquity.”

23 But avoid foolish and ignorant disputes, knowing that they generate strife. 24 And a servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient, 25 in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps will grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth, 26 and that they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will.

In this section of Scripture we find that Paul warns Timothy of one particular instance where Satan steals the word out of their hearts.

Paul exhorts Timothy.

15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Do you see the point on which Paul rests on?

"the word of truth"

In Christ
Jeff

2006/3/2 13:38Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Luke 8

6 Some fell on rock; and as soon as it sprang up, it withered away because it lacked moisture.

13 But the ones on the rock are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, who believe for a while and in time of temptation fall away.

In the book of James we are given some instructions:

James 5:13 Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing psalms. 14 Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. 16 Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. 17 Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain; and it did not rain on the land for three years and six months. 18 And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth produced its fruit.

James 5:19 Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back, 20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins.

These Scriptures teach how to protect the weak, the sick who lack moisture, who [b]"wanders from the truth."[/b]

In Christ
Jeff

2006/3/3 13:10Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Luke 8

7 And some fell among thorns, and the thorns sprang up with it and choked it.

14 Now the ones that fell among thorns are those who, when they have heard, go out and are choked with cares, riches, and pleasures of life, and bring no fruit to maturity.

Jesus taught this,

Luke 16:13 “No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.

Where do we at this moment in time find ourselves. Do you despise the manifestations in people that worship mammon bring to light? Or are you indifferent to this precept? Do we have one master or do we live in adultery?

The word of God is powerful, "and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."

What is the word discerning in our hearts?

In Christ
Jeff

2006/3/4 11:27Profile
roadsign

Re: the LAW of the Spirit

Quote:
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.

The word, law, here needs some attention. We rarely think of this word in connection with New Covenant, and yet here it is.

I am more inclinde to think: "The Spirit has made me free." which is true, but what of this: the law of the Spirit has made me free.
And how does this law make us free.

I think I know, but I want to know more clearly.

Diane

2006/3/4 13:07Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Sis Diane wrote:

Quote:
The word, law, here needs some attention. We rarely think of this word in connection with New Covenant, and yet here it is.

Psa. 119:1 Blessed are the undefiled in the way,
Who walk in the law of the LORD!
2 Blessed are those who keep His testimonies,
Who seek Him with the whole heart!
3 They also do no iniquity;
They walk in His ways.
4 You have commanded us
To keep Your precepts diligently.
5 Oh, that my ways were directed
To keep Your statutes!

Meditate on these words of Scripture.

What does it mean to walk "in the law of the Lord? Are they just words, then we are governed by our carnal mind and subject to the law of death. Or is the Spirit involved as one reads and meditates on the words of God. The Spirit will reveal things never understood by the carnal mind. Do we struggle to know His words, or do we struggle to hold onto men's doctrine. Everyone who honestly seeks will struggle for the first and begin to see the wonders of the truth as it unfolds in our own lives. In the beginning I struggled to hold onto men's doctrines. There is no peace in this pursuit. Peace is realized as God reveals His perfect truth in us.

God gives those His promise that they will live in a state of blessedness. In verse 5, the psalmist, reveals that in himself he cannot direct his own way. He seeks God for the grace necessary to "walk" in His ways.

7 I will praise You with uprightness of heart,
When I learn Your righteous judgments.

Seach the Scripture for the meaning of judgements. What does it mean to one [b]who learns of God's righteous judgements.[/b] How do these personal judgements of God impact the life of the one whom God judges continually. What is the underlying purpose of His judgements?

9 How can a young man cleanse his way?
By taking heed according to Your word.

The word of God, the Holy Scriptures penetrate our being. The work of the Scriptures will bring about questions like the one in verse 9.

Deut. 30:14 But the word is very near you, in your mouth and in your heart, that you may do it.

Look to this verse, where is the word of God? Why does God reveal His word?

What does this phrase mean? "that you may do it."

The word of God is incorruptible, those who hear begin to understand that incorruptibility.

I will continue, out of time.

In Christ
Jeff

2006/3/4 14:26Profile
roadsign

Re: law of the Spirit

Quote:
Deut. 30:14 But the word is very near you, in your mouth and in your heart, that you may do it.

I think that this verse is saying that God's laws are not merely written on stone tablets, or somewhere far away, where we have to go to discover them. They are written on the conscience. "Gentiles... show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciense also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing." Romans 2:16

But I don't think that this is referring to the "law of the Spirit" as applied to someone born again. (in the real sense)

There is something still missing here in my mind, maybe it has to do with the definition of the word: law.

Think of scientific laws, or natural laws. They are not a list of dos and don'ts as we think of laws. They form a prescribed, preprogrammed predictable system that governs the universe.

Well what of Spiritual law? Likewise it is not merely a list of rules we obey, but far more. It is a spiritual operational system that governs our lives - distinct and very different from natural laws.

The law of the Spirit might include such aspects as divine revelation and miracles, supernatual insight, operation of the gifts and offices, and also qualities such as faith, love,and self-sacrifice (beyond human natural faith and love, and self-sacrifice)

The Kingdom of God is not of this world. It is governed by spiritual laws, not natural laws.... The law of the Spirit has an eternal perspective, not temporal.

...and much more.... which would make a good study.
It should also keep us from mixing up the natural with the spiritual.. and maybe understand the New Covenant.

Does this make any sense?
Diane

2006/3/4 19:04Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Romans 2:15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts , their conscience also bearing witness , and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another ;)

What is the heart? 2588. kardia
Search for G2588 in KJVSL
kardia kardia kar-dee'-ah

prolonged from a primary kar (Latin cor, "heart"); the heart, i.e. (figuratively) the thoughts or feelings (mind); also (by analogy) the middle:--(+ broken-)heart(-ed).

The heart is the mind will and emotions, feelings, thoughts and learning center of the soul. It is separate but connected to the spirit of a man. The spirit of a person before salvation is of Satan, and can only know the things of the world. When a person believes God about His Son and Jesus Christ comes into our spirit and we now have the Spirit of Christ, which is rebirth, of water and the Spirit, we are regenerated and can know the things of heaven. Jhn 6:32 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven. Not of this earth but of the Kingdom of God. Jhn 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Now I see. The physical with heavenly indications. Jhn 9:25 He answered and said, Whether he be a sinner [or no], I know not: one thing I know, that, whereas I was blind, now I see. John 9:39 And Jesus said, For judgment I am come into this world, that they which see not might see; and that they which see might be made blind. For never in all the world has this happened because no man could see until Christ gave blind eyes to see.
John 9:32 Since the world began was it not heard that any man opened the eyes of one that was born blind. Which we all were.

Everybody wants to make all these one when it comes to a person. If we don't rightly divide them we will never come to the understanding of how God does His work in the believer. Body, Soul, and Spirit. The Body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. 1Cr 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost [which is] in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? In other words the body is just a clay pot quickened to hold all that the new birth contains.

The soul or heart of a man is where the renewing of the mind comes from. Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. What is the perfect will of God? That we know that we have the Mind of Christ and the Holy Spirit who deals in the heart of us that are saved, will teach us this truth. John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

The Holy Spirit dwell in the soul of man and also is the power of the spirit of a person. The only thing left is the spirit of a person, that is where Christ dwells, that is we no longer have the spirit of our father Satan because Christ defeated him at the Cross. By being born again we know possess the Spirit of Christ, that Satan out and Christ in. Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

1Pe 1:11 Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.

This is what Christ was talking about when He said that this would happen before it happens so we would understand and believe. John 14:29 And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe.

What are we to believe? John 14:26-28 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

He is telling us that the Comforter will come and be in us not with us, and He is telling us that He Himself will come and He will be in us also. The Holy Spirit to teach us all things. Jesus Christ to be our New Nature in Spirit, the Life we now live we live by the Faith of the Son of God. Then God the Father also coming to make His Abode with us. John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

So, The Holy Spirit our Teacher in our soul, heart. The Spirit of Christ our new Life in Christ our regenerated nature, and God the Father ruling and reigning over the complete person, by the power of His Spirit that controls our learning and the power of the Spirit of Christ that is in us. The Holy Spirit does all the work, The Spirit is our new life, Christ finished His work at the Cross. The Body quickened to contain this Deity and the seed that must be planted in the ground, die and then on resurrection morning a new body that will produce the fruit of the Seed that is Born Again in us, The Incorruptable Seed of Jesus Christ and we will be just like Him.

In Christ: Phillip

2006/3/4 21:08Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Sister Diane wrote:

Quote:
Think of scientific laws, or natural laws. They are not a list of dos and don'ts as we think of laws. They form a prescribed, preprogrammed predictable system that governs the universe.

The law of the Spirit is also a preprogrammed system which God has established before the foundation of the world. This system that governs the universe, is also predictible.

It is predictable, in that those who live by this law, will be conformed into the image of Christ. The scientific oberservation of this law is found by one who endeavors to recognize how this law affects one's heart. The path that one takes is not predictable. For the Lord lights the path. This is what seperates the Spiritual world from the natural world. Our carnal mind cannot not comprehend the Spiritual. So what has God given us to open the door to the Spiritual?

1Pet. 1:22 Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit in sincere love of the brethren, love one another fervently with a pure heart, 23 having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever,

How has God ordained, or pointed to the means by which we come to understand the law of the Spirit? It is by faith. Listent to these words, "Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth." What does this say about the way one enters into and remains on the lighted path? The next words are,"through the Spirit in sincere love of the brethren, love one another fervently with a pure heart, having been born again,..."

These words of Peter also are the same as 1 John. These words of Peter are also the same as Pauls. Only through the Spirit do we hear the commands of how to perform what we did not know according to our carnal mind.

And finally, Peter points to the source from which understanding comes. It is the incorruptible seed, the word of God. God has ordained that His word is the key to finding the things of the Spirit. It is the key which opens the door to Jesus. It is the power of the incorruptible seed, the word of God that changes the condition of one's heart. It is the incorruptible seed which reveals the law of the Spirit to us. The manifestation of this law in the hearts and minds of those who believe reveals the Salvation that changes us into the image of the incorruptible Jesus our Christ.

In Christ
Jeff

2006/3/6 11:45Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy