SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Born Again By What Means

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 Next Page )
PosterThread
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Psalm 73

2 But as for me, my feet had almost stumbled;
My steps had nearly slipped.

Here Asaph speaks of things which he discovered to be a trap, a stumbling block. He looks back to a point in his walk where he experienced some of what the first three groups of people stumbled on and did not become fruitful.

Listen to his testimony about the world and its vanity.

In Christ
Jeff

2006/1/29 12:20Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Psalm 73

3 For I was envious of the boastful,
When I saw the prosperity of the wicked.
4 For there are no pangs in their death,
But their strength is firm.
5 They are not in trouble as other men,
Nor are they plagued like other men.
6 Therefore pride serves as their necklace;
Violence covers them like a garment.
7 Their eyes bulge with abundance;
They have more than heart could wish.
8 They scoff and speak wickedly concerning oppression;
They speak loftily.

I myself remember the times where as I read Scripture, and began to understand what a disciple of Christ should experience, I too was envious of those who seemed to live in prosperity. Satan tempted Jesus by offering Him the riches of this world. Satan in like manner steals the word of God out of the hearts of those who allow envy for the lifestyles that seem prosperous. Satan's efforts can be masked in the preaching of the "prosperity gospel."

Satan's efforts can be seen in those who preach that God loves you just as you are and never point to Jesus as the source from which all who hear will enter into the law of liberty. These shepherds always point to men and not to Him through whom we have access into all mercy and grace. These shepherds have entered not through the gate but have climbed over the fence to steal.

Satan's ways can argue for the happiness of the individual is of most concern for this life. The pursuit of freedom will satisfy the yearning in one's heart. Freedom to do and pursue the dictates of one's own heart is the substance for which man must strive. This is, of course. a lie. For the carnal mind is enmity towards God and cannot please God.

If one searches the Psalms one will find the many ways Satan steals the substance for what we hope for. The word of God attacks the strongholds of Satan [that] he has sown in our hearts. Many stumble when envy is allowed to continue to feed the desires for this world.

In Christ
Jeff

2006/1/30 10:14Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Psalm 73

13 Surely I have cleansed my heart in vain,
And washed my hands in innocence.
14 For all day long I have been plagued,
And chastened every morning.
15 If I had said, “I will speak thus,”
Behold, I would have been untrue to the generation of Your children.
16 When I thought how to understand this,
It was too painful for me—
17 Until I went into the sanctuary of God;
Then I understood their end.

In these verses we hear of a struggle that once filled Asaph's life. He saw the world for what it was. He speaks of his own suffering as a consequence of being a member of "the generation of Your children." He speaks of the temptation of giving in to the pull of the world.

13 Surely I have cleansed my heart in vain,
And washed my hands in innocence.

Job mentions the same thought in his suffering.

This suffering is a consequence of following God. Why? The work of God will begin to destroy our hopes that bind us to the ways of this world. God roots out and pulls down and destroys. This is the cross that everyone takes up who are of the "generation of Your children." This is the death that we share in with Christ. This is not a moment in time but an experience that continues as God sees fit.

14 For all day long I have been plagued,
And chastened every morning.

In the sower of the seed, the first three groups fall short in this experience. This is a time where the soil is being prepared. And the first three groups choose to remain alive for the things of the world.

Luke 8

12 Those by the wayside are the ones who hear; then the devil comes and takes away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved. 13 But the ones on the rock are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, who believe for a while and in time of temptation fall away. 14 Now the ones that fell among thorns are those who, when they have heard, go out and are choked with cares, riches, and pleasures of life, and bring no fruit to maturity.

Asaph points us to the Path.

16 When I thought how to understand this,
It was too painful for me—
17 Until I went into the sanctuary of God;
Then I understood their end.

Understanding comes when we too go into the sanctuary of God.

In Christ
Jeff

2006/2/1 10:12Profile

Re: Born Again By What Means

Quote:
Satan's efforts can be seen in those [b]who preach that God loves you just as you are and never point to Jesus[/b] as the source from which all who hear will enter into the law of liberty.

There is a very fine line - or is there? - between knowing that we can come to Jesus 'just as we are', but, the WHOLE point is that we won't [u]stay[/u] that way. The seed which falls into the ground (Jesus) and dies (through baptism into His death) - as Jesus was put in the tomb, out of sight - is raised in a glorious new body, in which the life of God is the driving force (the incorruptible Seed) .....from which Christ is being formed in us.

If one comes to Jesus as one is, and does not fall into the ground of Christ, identifying with His death, there can be no new life..... in reality.

2006/2/1 12:35
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Sister Lynn wrote:

Quote:
If one comes to Jesus as one is, and does not fall into the ground of Christ, identifying with His death, there can be no new life..... in reality.

We all come to Jesus as we are, dead in our sins. We all have the gift that is freely given to us, the opportunity to live because of the Life. We all rely on our carnal mind, yet Christ exhorts us to take His yoke upon us, and [b]learn[/b] from Him. We do not know or understand how it is that we must die with Him for we have no understanding, only the mustard seed of faith. The precept of death to the old man, being buried with Christ, is a precept that He himself teaches each of us. We know according to Scripture that this precept exists. We know that Christ commands us to take up the cross daily, yet the death of the old man, in the life of a believer grows continually in its power to empty us of self-exaultation and self-governing. Paul testified of this experience.

1Cor. 15:31 I affirm, by the boasting in you which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily.

Now we begin this life trying to live according to the law. We only find condemnation because the carnal mind can not deliver us from ourselves. This experience causes suffering. Yet Christ is there teaching us to hear His voice. As we begin to follow Him in obedience, we begin to see more clearly the wonderful ways Christ, leads us to this death. Along with this experience of death, comes the experience of Life. We begin to experience the filling of His Life. This work of God, this grace, changes the substance for what we hope for. That is why His burden is light. Only by the Spirit can one satisfy the law of God.

Eph 1

"having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, 14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory."

The sealing of the Spirit, many look at as legal term just like the precept of being baptized into Christ's death. Yet it is much more. As the Spirit guides us we begin to realize the effective working of God's grace through His Spirit leading us to "absorbing" the 'Life" that becomes salvation, the redemption.

The sower of the seed parable exhorts us to continue on. The parable warns us what to look out for along the path of redemption. Salvation is realized as we grow to be one with the Father and the Son, through the Holy Spirit. It is always what we are, not what we say we are. Scripture always gives us light to reveal the conditions of our hearts. According to Scripture, belief creates. It all started in Genesis 3:15. We begin believing and doing the things which pleases Satan. God sends the woman to birth the Seed in us.

Ramble ramble ramble
sorry sis

In Christ
jeff

2006/2/2 16:35Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Psalm 73

22 I was so foolish and ignorant;
I was like a beast before You.
23 Nevertheless I am continually with You;
You hold me by my right hand.
24 You will guide me with Your counsel,
And afterward receive me to glory.
25 Whom have I in heaven but You?
And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You.

Asaph looks back to a time when he realized the foolishness of his carnal mind. He sees himself as a beast before the Lord and His glory. This understanding comes from the Lord through the Spirit.

How does he know the counsel of the Lord? How does he know that he will be received up in glory? How can one who is supposedly not born of the spirit according to dispensational theology, have a heart like his?

When the martry Stephen was about to die, to whom did he look upon?

In Christ
Jeff

2006/2/3 10:54Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Whom do we the born again have? Colossians 1:27-28 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

Whom do we have, we have Christ Jesus in us and we are already seated with Him in Heavenly Places. Eph 1:3 Blessed [be] the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly [places] in Christ:

Eph 1:20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set [him] at his own right hand in the heavenly [places],

Eph 2:6 And hath raised [us] up together, and made [us] sit together in heavenly [places] in Christ Jesus:

Eph 3:10 To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly [places] might be known by the church (the body of Christ) the manifold wisdom of God,

In Christ: Phillip Not earthly but heavenly.

2006/2/4 1:37Profile

Re: Born Again By What Means

rookie said

Quote:
Ramble ramble ramble
sorry sis

Jeff,

There are ramblings and there are ramblings. Yours are never a digression..... from the word of truth.....

EDIT although I agree with Phillip about new birth being possible only after Christ had been revealed. That's not to say the OT saints did not have a spiritual knowledge of God which [i][b]assured[/b][/i] them of salvation by faith..... but, new birth and salvation by faith, are not identical, I believe.

2006/2/4 12:25
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Br Phillip

1Cor. 15:42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. The body is sown in corruption, it is raised in incorruption. 43 It is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness, it is raised in power. 44 It is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. 45 And so it is written, “The first man Adam became a living being.” The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.

1Cor. 15:46 However, the spiritual is not first, but the natural, and afterward the spiritual. 47 The first man was of the earth, made of dust; the second Man is the Lord from heaven. 48 As was the man of dust, so also are those who are made of dust; and as is the heavenly Man, so also are those who are heavenly. 49 And as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly Man.

1Cor. 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does corruption inherit incorruption.

According to these Scriptures which body are you at this moment in time, the natural or the heavenly?

In Christ
Jeff

2006/2/4 12:25Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Thankyou Sis.

In Christ
Jeff

2006/2/4 12:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.