SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Born Again By What Means

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 Next Page )
PosterThread
rookie

Born Again By What Means

1 Peter 1

23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

John 3:

3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Peter states that it is the word of God that causes one to be born again.

This has been my experience how about you?

In Christ
Jeff

2005/10/24 11:05Profile
rookie

Re: Born Again By What Means

Mark 4:

13 And he said unto them, Know ye not this parable? and how then will ye know all parables? 14 The sower soweth the word. 15 And these are they by the way side, where the word is sown; but when they have heard, Satan cometh immediately, and taketh away the word that was sown in their hearts. 16 And these are they likewise which are sown on stony ground; who, when they have heard the word, immediately receive it with gladness; 17 And have no root in themselves, and so endure but for a time: afterward, when affliction or persecution ariseth for the word’s sake, immediately they are offended. 18 And these are they which are sown among thorns; such as hear the word, 19 And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful. 20 And these are they which are sown on good ground; such as hear the word, and receive it, and bring forth fruit, some thirtyfold, some sixty, and some an hundred.

Here is another description of the means by which we are born from above. To understand this parable is key to understanding all other parables.

13 And he said unto them, Know ye not this parable? and how then will ye know all parables?

The incorruptible seed breaths life into those who hear.

In Christ
Jeff

2005/10/24 12:34Profile

Re: Born again by what means?

John 12:20 onwards (KJV)

And there were certain Greeks among them that came up to worship at the feast: the same came therefore to Philip, which was of Bethsaida of Galilee, and desired him, saying,

'Sir, we would see Jesus'.

Philip cometh and telleth Andrew: and again Andrew and Philip tell Jesus. And Jesus answered them, saying,

'The hour is come, that the Son of man should be glorified. Verily, verily, I say unto you, [b]Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit[/b]. He that loveth his life shall lose it; [u]and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal[/u]. If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.'

In this portion of scripture, we see that the seed will bring forth the life of Jesus, and the Father will honour the life of Jesus in a man.

Note, the fruit being spoken of here is probably the fruit of the Spirit (as with the Vine, John 15) rather than new converts.

This ties in with Romans 6.

3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also of resurrection:

16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
17 [u]But God[/u] be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, [b]but ye have obeyed [u]from the heart[/u] that form of doctrine which was delivered you[/b].
18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the [u]servants of righteousness[/u].

22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, [b]ye have your [u]fruit unto holiness[/u], and the end everlasting life[/b].

Romans 7:4
Wherefore, my brethren, [b]ye also are [u]become dead[/u][/b] to the law [u]by the body of Christ[/u]; that ye should be married to another, to him who is raised from the dead, [u]that we should[/u][b] bring forth [u]fruit unto God[/u][/b].

2005/10/24 21:45
npautsky

Texas

Re:

Another facet of a beautiful truth.

Joh 8:31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye[u][i][b] continue in my word[/b][/i][/u], then are ye my disciples indeed;

Joh 8:32 And [u][i][b]ye shall know the truth,[/b][/i][/u] and the truth shall make you [u][i][b]free[/b][/i][/u] .

Joh 8:33 They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man:[u][i][b]how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free?[/b][/i][/u]

Joh 8:34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, [u][i][b]Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.[/b][/i][/u]

Joh 8:36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free [u][i][b]indeed.[/b][/i][/u]

O precious Gospel that leads us to the Light
How great thy strength to break the powers of night.

2005/10/25 1:03Profile
rookie

Re:

Likewise: John 6:

62 What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before? 63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

The Spirit of God works on the heart, the words that Jesus speaks, these words bring life.

In Christ
Jeff

2005/10/25 10:41Profile
rookie

Re:

Psalm 119:

103 How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth! 104 Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105 NUN. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. 106 I have sworn, and I will perform it, that I will keep thy righteous judgments. 107 I am afflicted very much: quicken me, O LORD, according unto thy word. 108 Accept, I beseech thee, the freewill offerings of my mouth, O LORD, and teach me thy judgments. 109 My soul is continually in my hand: yet do I not forget thy law. 110 The wicked have laid a snare for me: yet I erred not from thy precepts. 111 Thy testimonies have I taken as an heritage for ever: for they are the rejoicing of my heart. 112 I have inclined mine heart to perform thy statutes alway, even unto the end.

Do our passions align with these words written in Scripture?
They should.

In Christ
Jeff

2005/10/26 11:39Profile
rookie

Re:

Do we find that our lives are beginning to reflect the Light of Life that we see in the Holy Scriptures. Is our name written in the Book of Life?

Is not the Holy Scriptures the "Book of Life?"

In Christ
Jeff

2005/10/26 15:06Profile
roadsign

a work of the Spirit

Quote:
Peter states that it is the word of God that causes one to be born again.

Christ is referred to as the word in John 1 - so in a sense this is true. After all, Christ promised us his life - the abundant life which is the Spirit dwelling in us. It is the Spirit which births us - born (from above)

John 4:5 "No one can enter the kingdom of heaven unless they are born of water and the Spirit.
Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit."

It is a supernatural work. Apart from this divine work, we are just living the Christian life in our own strength - according to the uncrucified flesh. It may feel Christian, but in the end Christ will say, "depart from me, I never knew you."

In a sense you are right. However, if we interpret those words to mean that reading the Bible and trying to follow rules in it is an indication that we are saved, then we are deceived.
Diane

2005/10/26 21:06Profile
rookie

Re: a work of the Spirit

Sister Diane wrote:

Quote:
In a sense you are right. However, if we interpret those words to mean that reading the Bible and trying to follow rules in it is an indication that we are saved, then we are deceived.

I agree with your thought here. Many search the Scriptures and think that they know the Eternal Life. Jesus spoke of this condition in John 5:

38 And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not. 39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. 40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life. 41 I receive not honour from men. 42 But I know you, that ye have not the love of God in you. 43 I am come in my Father’s name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive. 44 How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only? 45 Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust. 46 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me. 47 But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

Jesus declared that these men whom He spoke to did [b]not have God's word abiding in them.[/b] He declared that these men are following other men, and not God.

What does it mean to have the word of God abiding in them? Remember, Jesus judged them for the absence of God's word abiding. This means that God had already supplied the grace necessary for this to occur.

Deut. 30:14 But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it.

In Christ
Jeff

2005/10/28 10:51Profile
rookie

Re:

James 1:

17Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. 18Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.
19Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: 20For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. 21Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls. 22But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. 23For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: 24For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was. 25But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.
The King James Version, (Cambridge: Cambridge) 1769.

Here we see once again that the Scriptures are the root from which one receives salvation.

verse 18, 'Of His own will He begat us by the [b]word of truth[/b]

verse 21, "...and recieve with meekness the [b]implanted word, which is able to save your souls.""[/b]

Why are the Scriptures able to save your soul if you are a doer of the word?

In Christ
Jeff

2005/10/31 12:47Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy