SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Why Sunday?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

God made the sabbath holy, but why was it created? for man.

I would like to have some input on my comment below. I'm curious to see if anyone agrees/disagrees. It that a biblical founded statement (below)?

2005/11/15 9:29Profile
macbug

So Cali-

Re: Saturday or Sunday

One way to look at it is that one day the Sabbath represents the law and the bondage to those who are compelled that obey and honor it.

The First Day of the week represents the Grace, Love, Peace, Joy that believers have in Jesus Christ.

The Sabbath is a day of completion after 6 days of Labor; the First day is the day of resurrection or rebirth, a new start towards Holiness and Service of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

One Day represents the Old Covenanent and the First Day represents the NEW COVENANENT.

I could go further but you get the idea, the early church, before denominationalism set it chose in love to honor the Lord on the First Day of the Week Sunday. That is a tradition that is older than the bible itself, I mean the New Testament anyway.

Please consider my opinion in the spirit it is given, in love and respect,

2005/11/15 10:01Profile
Nasher

Watford, UK

Re:

Quote:
Here is a thought:

Christ brought the spiritual nature and expounded on the 10 commandments.

Murder- its wrong to hate.

Adultery- It's wrong to lust.

Keep the Sabbath holy- Keep everyday holy.

What think ye?

I like this. 8-)

2005/11/17 7:56Profile
macbug

So Cali-

Re: It is a choice that each must make.

Do all unto the Lord for His glory, in a spirit of Love.

2005/11/21 19:21Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

brethren
i've been reading this book named Pagan Christianity by Frank Viola and it's been most interesting. it gives an outline of where a lotof these sunday traditions come from, the altar, sermon etc and also outlines the influence of paganism on Christianity. i got to this point where it talks about the origins of sunday worship and the book says that Constantine (who was reponsible for the church building as we know it today and lots of other things) decided to dedicate this day to being a legal holiday to honor the sun god Mithras which he worshipped (as per the book he also did this as though the god was Christ)

it seems that from there sunday became the day or worship rather than every day.

2005/11/25 0:11Profile
ravin

Washington st. u.S. A.

Re:

read Hebrews 4:1-16 All of what we do it must be backed by the word and not by mans reasoning.
Our foundation is the rock of the word.
Hebrews 4:4,5 " For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.
What is that rest in the word it was the seventh day look at verse 9 also
9. There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
10. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his works, as God did from his.

Why would the word talk about Gods seveth day rest and that we have need to enter into it if it was done away with. of all the commands its the only one that says remember. Is it not God who dosn't change and his word stands forever. I believe that we must follow his word by faith and enter into his rest on his day that he (God ) set as side.

And as for making all days holy, was sit not the pharisees who made laws and traditions around what God had said, and Jesus said that they esteemed their traditions more than the law of God. I believe we must be careful when we take it upon ourselves to add to the word of God; where God said "Remember" to keep my sabbath day holy - He means, THAT DAY. That day was His rest. To do anything more, is to add to His word. We must follow the Word of God, and do it by faith, not as unto law. We serve a God who knows men's hearts.
We always ask this question: What would Jesus do? It states in the Word, that "and as His custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read." Luke 4:16.
Acts 1:12 states "Then returned they unto Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet which is from Jerusalem as Sabbath day's journey." Why were they keeping the Sabbath Day's journey - and Jesus led them on a Sabbath Day's journey. It must be important if the Holy Spirit saw fit to mention it.

2005/11/25 1:50Profile
groh_frog

Re:

A few people have mentioned the idea that "it doesn't matter what day we assemble on, weather it be Monday, Sunday, or even Wednesday". The question I have goes back to Exodus 16- the story of the Manna and Quail.

"Then the LORD said to Moses, 'I will rain down bread from heaven for you. The people are to go out each day and gather enough for that day. In this way I will test them and see whether they will follow my instructions. On the sixth day they are to prepare what they bring in, and that is to be twice as much as they gather on the other days." (v. 4-5)

"Then Moses said to them, 'No one is to keep any of it until morning.' However, some of them paid no attention to Moses; they kept part of it until morning, but it was full of maggots and began to smell." (v. 19-20a)

It seems that having a very specific day to rest was important- any other time they tried to gather extra, it turned rotten!

Now, Christ said, "Not one letter will pass away from the Law", and yet I wonder if we've used men's reasoning to change the fourth commandment? Even the disciples continued to worship in the sinagogues for a time. Eventually we had gatherings of Christians, but we didn't change to Sunday until many years after Christ's death.

Now, of course we should live every day for the Lord, but going back to the original question, did we reason our way out of the Sabboth using men's reasoning?

Grace and Peace...

2005/11/27 1:43Profile
Graftedbranc

Re:

Quote:
Why would the word talk about Gods seveth day rest and that we have need to enter into it if it was done away with.

The whole book of Hebrews is showing us Christ in the Old Testament in types, shadows, and figures. The Sabbath Rest is a type of Christ. It is a picture of the rest we have in Christ. we are seated with Christ in the heavenly places (Ephesians 2) and typified in Hebrews 4 by the land of Cannan.

According to the Law, we work and have rest. But in the New Testament we begin in Christ and work from rest, His rest.

The Law says, do this and you shall Live. But the New covenant says. Live and you shall do this.

The writer to the Hebrews is encouraging the believers to enter into Christ as their Sabbath rest and using the Rest of Cannan as the picture of Christ.

I like the Footnote in the RcV:

"The Sabbath rest is Christ as our rest, typified by the good land of Canann. Christ is rest to the saints in three stages. 1. In the church age, as the heavenly Christ, the One who rests from His work and sits on the right hand of God in the heavens. He is the rest to us in our spirit. 2. In the millennial kingdom, after Satan is removed from this earth, Christ with the kingdom will be the rest in a fuller way to the overcoming saints, who will be His co-kings, sharing and enjoying His rest. 3. In the New heaven and new earth, after all the enemies, including death, the last enemy, have been made subject to Him, Christ as the all-conquering One, will be the rest in the fullest way to all God's redeemed for eternity...But the Sabbath rest mentioned here and typified by the rest of the good land of Canaan covers only the first two stages of Christ's being our rest, It does not include the third stage."

Graftedbranch

2005/12/6 0:30Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy