SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Why Sunday?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
groh_frog

Why Sunday?

Sunday. Almost unanimously among the Christian denominations, Sunday is called the Sabbath.

Now, the Sabbath day is an extremely important day. There's an entire commandment set aside for it.

I know that the Bible talks about 'regarding one day as more holy than another', basically saying to be sure of what you believe.

Now, from what I've been told, we call Sunday our Sabbath in honor of Christ's resurrection, and of the new covenant.

Now, my challenge comes because of when Israel was wandering in the desert eating manna. They were given very specific instructions to collect enough for one day each day, and double on the sixth day. If they tried to change and collect double on any other day, they would find it rotten the next morning. Basically, the Lord was very specific in which day to rest. Even the early Church in Acts worshipped in the sinagogues on the Sabbath.

So, when, and why did we change?

Grace and Peace...

2005/10/24 7:28Profile
beenblake

Tennessee, USA

Re: Why Sunday?

Dear groh_frog,

Are you asking why don't we keep the Sabbath Holy? Are are you asking, why do we celebrate the Sabbath on Sunday rather than another day?

I am not educated in the history behind this or why the Church changed. Although, here are some scriptures that may have influenced the current trend:

Romans 14:5 (NLT)
In the same way, some think one day is more holy than another day, while others think every day is alike. Each person should have a personal conviction about this matter.

Galatians 4:8-11 (NLT)
8 Before you Gentiles knew God, you were slaves to so-called gods that do not even exist. 9 And now that you have found God (or should I say, now that God has found you), why do you want to go back again and become slaves once more to the weak and useless spiritual powers of this world? 10 You are trying to find favor with God by what you do or don't do on certain days or months or seasons or years. 11 I fear for you. I am afraid that all my hard work for you was worth nothing.

Colossians 2:16 (NLT)
So don't let anyone condemn you for what you eat or drink, or for not celebrating certain holy days or new-moon ceremonies or Sabbaths.

Something else that may be helpful is the Baker's Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology on the "Sabbath." You can find it here:

http://bible.crosswalk.com/Dictionaries/BakersEvangelicalDictionary/bed.cgi?number=T619

Here is another entry on "The Lord's Day"

http://bible.crosswalk.com/Dictionaries/BakersEvangelicalDictionary/bed.cgi?number=T444

Hope this helps,

In love,
Blake

2005/10/24 9:57Profile
groh_frog

Re:

Hey, thanks for the info.

I know that our salvation does not hang on our works, but I do believe it is important to serve God because of who he is, and what he's given us. This question comes up, because it almost looks like some of those verses were used as a loop-hole to create a new sabbath day.

Now, I know that, once again, salvation doesn't change, weather or not we even have a Sabbath day, and so our condemnation doesn't come from it. But why was it at one time such a big deal, and now it seems like many churches even advertise it as an "if you feel like it, you can set aside a day for the Lord". Again, I know that we live every day for God, and we should be motivated to serve God in everything we do, but should we be reserving a Sabbath day to serve God?

I haven't checked out that other string yet, but I will. Thanks again for the input.

Grace and Peace...

2005/10/25 0:02Profile
beenblake

Tennessee, USA

Re:

Hello again,

Quote:
But why was it at one time such a big deal, and now it seems like many churches even advertise it as an "if you feel like it, you can set aside a day for the Lord".

This quote from the Baker's text may help:

"Second, by stressing that the Sabbath was made for humankind and not humankind for the Sabbath (Mark 2:27) Jesus gives an indication as to its true meaning. That is, he places it against the universal horizon of God's intent that it benefit all creation and not just Israel."

God had given the Sabbath unto creation as a gift. The question is, however, why did it carry such a heavy weight previously, and not so much now?

It may have something to do with the law. The Sabbath was part of the law of God. While under the law, the people of Israel had to be commanded to love the Lord.

A large part of love is giving the object of our love attention. Children crave thier parents attention and time. When we fall in love with our spouse, we crave their attention and time. Likewise, God wants our attention and time. He wants our devotion.

Under the law, it had to be commanded. Thus, people had to be commanded to spend time with the Lord. It held such weight because the Lord really wanted our love. The entire law was based upon the command that we love the Lord first above all things. Breaking the Sabbath was like breaking the biggest law of all. That is why the punishment held death.

God still wants our love. However, now He wants our love to be pure. True love is not an obligation. It cannot be commanded. If I tell you to love me, then how can you? You can't force someone to love you. They have to do it willingly.

So, in order that we can love God willingly, He sets us free from the law through the death of Christ. Once we are set free from it, then we can love God not by command, but out of gratitude for Him loving us first.

I don't think there is any less emphasis on giving our devotion to the Lord or devoting time to Him. However, this time of our devotion is intimate. Our time with the Lord is not broadcasted or shared with creation. Rather, it is personal. Jesus told us to pray in private and fast in secrecy. Jesus, as our example, spent countless hours and days alone with the Lord. Many times, the apostles would have to go look for Him.

And so, I believe that the Sabbath is no longer about us, so to speak. It used to be about God giving creation a day of rest, and thus, the day was for our benefit. Now, through Christ, it is more personal, and about having a relationship with the Lord.

Before, while under the law, we were a part of creation. Now, under Christ, we are a part of God. We don't have a select day to worship God, rather, every minute of every day, our every action and every being, has been submitted unto Christ. We walk in the Spirit. We walk filled with God's love.

You'll notice that in the new testament, there is a large emphasis on being joyful and thankful, with extra stress in being thankful. What greater love can we show or give the Lord than to show Him gratitude? He constantly showers His love down upon us, He blesses us, He saves us, and He cares for us. By saying thank you, in actions and words, it really shows that we appreciate His love.

The emphasis, therefore, has shifted from having a single day devoted to the Lord, to living a life devoted to the Lord. Although, this devotion must be given willingly out of love.

This is how I see it, however, you should really pray about it. As Paul said, the Sabbath is a personal matter, and it should be, for it is about having a personal relationship with the Lord. If the Lord has laid this matter of the Sabbath on your heart, then maybe He is trying to speak to you? (Just a suggestion.)

I hope this helps,

In love,
Blake

2005/10/25 9:50Profile
Logic

The Saboth is a representation of Christs finished work on the Cross. When He brought in the New Testement He did away with man trying to live up to the Law wich is the "work" HE gave us that Rest inwitch we must live in by faith Hebrews 4:2

Quote:
Hebrews 3:11-Heb.4:11 So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.)
12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.
13 But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.
14 For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;
15 While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.
16 For some, when they had heard, did provoke: howbeit not all that came out of Egypt by Moses.
17 But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned, whose carcases fell in the wilderness?
18 And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not?
19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

The Children of Isreal did not enter the "rest"(Saboth). We are in the rest now because Jesus is that Rest. The rest is from the works of the Law. We are not under Law but Grace, But we can not be Lawless on the other hand. So therefor Jesus has fulfilled the Law for us and we must remain in HIM - V.14

Quote:
Hebrews 4:1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

Ephesians 2:8,9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourself(works of the Law): it is the gift of God: Not of works,lest any of you should boste

Quote:
3 For we which have believed do enter into rest,(Salvation) as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although [b]the works were finished from the foundation of the world[/b].

(Rev, 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of [b]the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world[/b].)
Quote:
4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.
6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works,(of the Law) as God did from his.
11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

2005/10/25 18:47Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

We have looked at this topic from time to time here on SI under several different threads but you might like to dip into [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=3878&forum=36&post_id=&refresh=Go]The Fourth Commandment[/url] to see if some of that conversation is still helpful.

2005/10/25 19:16Profile
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

groh_frog,

[b]Historically,[/b] the shift from the Sabbath to the "Lord's Day" (cf. Rev) is attested by some of the early Church Fathers.

Quote:
"If, therefore, those who were brought up in the ancient order of things have come to the possession of a new hope, no longer observing the Sabbath, but living in the observance of the Lord's Day, on which also our life has sprung up again by Him and by His death--whom some deny, by which mystery we have obtained faith, and therefore endure, that we may be found the disciples of Jesus Christ, our only Master." [i]Ignatius, To the Magnesians, 9:1 (A.D. 110)[/i].

[b]Scripturally,[/b] may be you can start by paying attention to the hints dropped by the scriptural writers in emphasizing the "first day of the week" (e.g. Luke 24:1). You will find references to this in the gospels and the book of Acts (in relation to the worship of the early Christians). [e.g. Matt 28:1, Mark 16:2, Mark 16:9, Luke 24:1, John 20:1, John 20:19, Acts 20:7, 1 Cor 16:2]

[b]Theologically,[/b] the apparent significance of the "first day" of the week is because it is the day of Christ's resurrection, the earth-shaking event that signifies a new age. The humongous volume, [i]The Resurrection of the Son[/i], by NT Wright is an excellent book on the ancient sources concerning the resurrection of Jesus, both biblical and extrabiblical.

There were some discussions of this in previous threads within the forum.

2005/11/2 11:41Profile
Graftedbranc

Quote:
Almost unanimously among the Christian denominations, Sunday is called the Sabbath.

What should be our consideration is that in no place in the New Testament is Sunday called the "Sabbath". Regardless of the fact that most religious institutions call Sunday the Sabbath, our faith and doctrine is based in the revelation of scritpure and not the practice of religion. Religion is almost never right.

The early Christians ceased to observe the Jewish Sabbath because the Law was over. IT took a little time according to Acts for this reality to sink in even to Peter and expecially James who had a high regard for the Mosaic Law. But the completed revelation through the Apostle Paul brought in the most clarity and final word.

Sunday is not the Sabboth. IT is the Lord's day. That is the day the Lord rose up from the dead. The Sabbath indicates rest after 6 days labor. But the Lord's day speaks of working from rest. That is in Christ we are resting and our 6 days labor proceeds from our rest in Christ.

Crucifixion terminated the law. And resurrection brought in the New Creation. We live not by the Law but by the resurrection Life of Christ.

However in Colossians Paul even speaks of "some regard one day above another, another regards every day alike." AS Christians we don't observe a day in a religious way. We observe Christ. We don't have a day, we have a Person. We don't live by religious rules and regulations, we live by the Spirit of the Living God who is within us.

The church in Acts met on the Lord's day but also daily from house to house breaking bread, in fellowship, the Apostle's teaching, and in prayer. There is no "holy day" for the beleiver. There is a Holy Christ whom he has partaken of and who lives within his regenerated spirit. Every day is a day to know Christ, to experience Christ, to live Christ and to be His expression. Every day is a day to meet with saints, to pray, to work, and to enjoy the riches of the Triune God in Christ in our spirit.

It takes a real work of Grace for the Lord to bring us into the reality that we are dead to the law, and that religion is a part of the Old creation. We are so religious by nature. We are so much attached to the Tree of the Knowlege of good and evil it is hard for us to let go of "good"

Christians can let go of evil, but good? Not so easy. Our religious nature needs to be exposed. We want rules, we want rituals, we want to think, "if I just do this and that I am ok. But God does not give us that, He gives us Christ and only be living in a living contact and in the experience of our organic union with Christ can we please God because God is only pleased with Christ in us.

I might add that in Hebrews where the apostle tells us, "not to forsake the assempbling together as is the habit of some..." He does not say, "because God's Law tells us it is a sin not to "go to church on the "sabbath".

Rather the Apostle, with no reference to a "day" tells us not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together because we need the encouragement of the body. We need the supply which comes only through the body of Christ and we also need to be a vessel of that supply to the body.

Our meeting together as Christians is not a matter of law or ritual or rule for rightousness. We meet beause we are the organic body of Christ and His corporate expression on this earth. We meet because the Life Supply is through the body and not just as an individual. It is a matter of practical growth in life and of our corporate testimony of Christ and His expression, not one of rule and regulation.

A quick illustration. If I don't eat, I will eventually die. That is a fact. IT is an inherent law of being. It is not a command, "eat your food daily or you will be judged". No, It is just the law of our being, if we don't eat we will die becuase we need the nourishment of the food supply.

In the same way, If we don't feed on Christ in the meetings of the church, we will be deficient in the heavenly spiritual nourishment and we will not grow and eventually we will be spiritually dead. It is a matter of eating and life, not one of rule and regulation. It matters not whether it is Sunday, Monday or Wedensday. The day is not the issue. The Lord said, "whenever two or more are gathered in My Name, there am I in the midst of you." Whenever means "whenever".

Why do I go to the Lord's day meeting of the church? Is it beccuse I am observing a day? NO. It is because the church meets on this day. why? primarily it is the day everyone has off because relgion has made it so. Is the Lord's table meeting on the Lord's day more holy than the wedensday night prayer meeting or the friday night home meeting? No. Is it more holy that when I meet with one or two brothers and pray through some scritpure, sing some hymns and interceed for the church? No. The Lord's day meeting is a meeting and is holy because the saints are there and Christ is in us and Christ is holy.

Graftedbranch

2005/11/14 15:59Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Here is a thought:

Christ brought the spiritual nature and expounded on the 10 commandments.

Murder- its wrong to hate.

Adultery- It's wrong to lust.

Keep the Sabbath holy- Keep everyday holy.

What think ye?

2005/11/14 16:04Profile
ravin

Washington st. u.S. A.

Re:

The Bible says remember to keep the sabbath Holy.
Why would an all knowing God want us to remember something that was going to be put away?
Matt:24.20 "But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither ON THE SABBATH DAY." Jesus It seems that the sabbath was still real and relevant to the creator of the world, and to be remembered in the end days,and prayed about.
Are all the commandments(Ten) holy? and wich one would you not keep. who made sunday holy? was it God or man? the word says (Paul) we must run the race by the rules are we are to be disqualified.
It seems that we have rules to run by.
as for me and my house we will err on the side of God and His word.

2005/11/14 19:26Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy