Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Christ is Fashionable

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Chosen7Stone

FL, USA

Christ is Fashionable

Teens' Faith In Fashion Is Their Cross To Wear
Lynette Sharlo doesn't know that much about her religion. The 14-year-old goes to church only every once in a while. But lately, her necklace with a cross has become very important to her.
"I saw it, and I thought, I've got to get this - for fashion," she said.
The Greenfield Middle School student isn't the only one turning to Jesus for jewelry.
In recent months, sales of necklaces, earrings and other items bearing a cross or a crucifix - a cross with the image of the crucified Christ - have increased.
One well-known jewelry designer has created a waiting list for the crosses he supplies to 300 shops across the country, and some stores in the Milwaukee area are reporting sales increases of up to 30%.
Experts believe Sept. 11 has something to do with it, but celebrity doesn't hurt either.
"It comes on strong whenever the country is in trouble," said Robert Lee Morris, a nationally known jewelry designer who claims to have created the crosses Madonna made popular during the early 1980s.
Back then, Morris said, people snapped up crosses while dealing with the country's recession and the fighting in Beirut. Around the same time, Madonna was draping herself with rosaries and crucifixes while singing songs such as "Like a Virgin."
Today, with the United States again in recession and troops fighting a war against terrorism, crosses can be spotted on everyone from Elizabeth Hurley to Britney Spears and Lil' Kim. Spears, whose playlist includes "I'm a Slave 4 U," told Teen People her favorite accessory is her diamond cross necklace.
Fourteen-year-old Danielle Shook of Greenfield has similar tastes. Shook said she recently started wearing the cross she received for First Communion in second grade. But she isn't thinking of the sacrament when she wears it.
"It's just fashion, I guess," Shook said.
Cross sales are double what they usually are at Claire's, a popular accessory store found at Milwaukee-area malls. Crosses also are showing up on display at mainstream stores such as Express, Wet Seal and The Limited.
Shops that specialize in religious articles are seeing an increase in business, too, and their employees are growing accustomed to selling hip, new cross designs - from leather necklaces to crosses that fans of heavy metal music buy.
"It's a 'they've-just-got-to-get-it' kind of thing," said Jim Langreder, manager of The Giving Tree, a religious gift shop in Waukesha.
"They're kind of giggling and laughing a little bit while they're buying it. You kind of know they're getting it just to get it," he said.
Fashion or blasphemy?
Some worry that the trend borders on blasphemy - more about style than sacredness. Christians believe the cross in jewelry is meant to remind wearers of Jesus Christ's ultimate sacrifice.
At NPH Christian Books and Gifts in Wauwatosa, marketing coordinator Andrea Delwiche said she has noticed customers whose crosses around the necks are hanging over not-so-Christian sayings on their T-shirts.
At Afterthoughts, an accessory store in Southridge Mall, employees say it's safe to assume many of the cross buyers are not heading straight to church.
"Half these girls that are buying these have dirty mouths," said Melissa Rick, a 19-year-old employee at the store.
While Delwiche, who has worked at the NPH Christian Books and Gifts for five years, said it wouldn't be very Christian-like to start judging her customers, she hopes the meaning behind the cross won't be washed away in the wave of popularity.
"I would hate to see it lose the important meaning that it has for Christians," she said, adding that the trend could be a good thing. "It's a doorway for people to learn more about Christianity."
Sharlo guesses that for now, she and her Greenfield classmates aren't thinking about religion when they put on the jewelry. She isn't even sure about the proper way to describe her crucifix, which has a "silver outline and God in the middle."
"It just looks nice," she said.
[img]http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/news/img/mar02/crossbig031102.jpg[/img]

2003/11/18 0:40Profile
Chosen7Stone

FL, USA

Re: Christ is Fashionable

Do you find it difficult to witness to people like this? Are they stubborn, or convinced they're en route to heaven?

2003/11/18 22:48Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Do you find it difficult to witness to people like this? Are they stubborn, or convinced they're en route to heaven?

Yes I find it extremely difficult thats why I let God do most of the work. I think you even told me a few times we just have to be a signpost pointing the way. But you are right its quite hard when they have already justified themselves and their lifestyle. here's an intresting question to ask people like this! its a story Paris Reidhead shared in his book:

I once asked a group of people at an evangelistic meeting, “How many of you are saved?” I’d say more than ninety percent raised their hands. I was astounded. They’d hardly brought any unsaved persons into that meeting. They had planned the evangelistic meeting but, apparently, were not able to convince one unsaved person to attend. Then I asked another question. “How many of you have ever been lost?” I don’t believe I had ever asked that sequence of questions before. Four hands went up. Finally, I asked: “How in the world can you be saved if you’ve never been lost? Because the only kind of people God saves are lost people.”
-Paris Reidhead (Finding the Reality of God pg.75)

2003/11/19 0:09Profile
Chosen7Stone

FL, USA

Re:

Awesome account! Though sad...I know that the majority of North American churches would be able to report the exact same thing, had the line of questions been asked. :(

2003/11/19 17:56Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Awesome account! Though sad

Yes its quite sad that many people choose to just hang around the cross but never get up on it.

[b]Galatians 2:20a (kjv)[/b] - I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me.

2003/11/19 18:36Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy