SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : History of Christians in War

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
DeanTaylor

Ephrata PA

History of Christians in War

Since I was born again, it has always been a surprise to me that bible believing-revival praying-faith trusting Christians, involve themselves so much in the affairs, politics, allurements and –yes- wars of this world.

A people who claim to trust God, depend on Him, and believe that he answers prayer should not be entangled in the world as American Christian Evangelicals so often do.

DL Moody put it this way. "There has never been a time in my life when I felt I could take a gun and shoot a fellow being. In this respect I'm a Quaker." --D.L. Moody

You see 2 Cor 2:4 says that “No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.”

We have in the Blood of Jesus such a strong weapon that to turn to carnal politics and weaponry to accomplish disputes and conflicts is absolutely nonsensical.

We are promised victory, but our theology in obtaining that victory is in all cases through the cross. It is indeed a theology of martyrdom. In the book of Revelation we see a glimpse of the saints defeating one greater than Hitler, Stalin, or Ghengis Khan, they defeated the Beast from the pit of Hell. But look how they did it…

Rev 12:11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

Remember saints “the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds” 2 Cor 10:4 5

As far as the Early Church is concerned I would quickly agree that they need to be looked at and received with a grain of salt. But when you see them having universally one voice on a subject, separated by language, ocean and continents it should at least make us stop and think. Especially, when the doctrine we end up with goes against the clear teaching of our Master Himself.

Matt 5: 43 “Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. 44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;”

Bro. Dean Taylor
Ephrata, PA

2005/10/18 9:26Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy