SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : God and man at table have sat down...

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

God and man at table have sat down...

The heading of this thread is from Christian song of the 1960's. I was researching the 'peace offering' and its significance and found this wonderful insight into [url=http://www.global-prayer-digest.org/monthdetails/2005/md-May-2005.asp]Muslim Hospitality.[/url] If we remember that Islamic customs are rooted in semitic desert history, we can see that much of this tradition is almost 'Abrahamic' and as such gives a much needed insight into Bible culture.

The 'covenant meal' that many of us take regularly is really part of this culture. It is not accidental that Paul refers to the 'breaking of bread' as 'the Lord's table'. I found that this article challenges me at many levels. Paul says that a key characteristic of an elder is that he will be 'hospitable' or as Tyndale translated it in 1536 'harbourous'.

Here's the hymn:
Welcome all ye noble saints of old
Welcome all ye noble saints of old,
as now before your very eyes unfold
the wonders all so long ago foretold.
[i]God and man at table are sat down.
God and man at table are sat down.[/i]

Elders, martyrs, all are falling down,
prophets, patriarchs are gath'ring round;
what angels longed to see now man has found.

Who is this who spreads the vict'ry feast
Who is this who makes our warring cease
Jesus, risen Saviour, Prince of Peace.

Beggars lame, and harlots also here;
repentant publicans are drawing near;
wayward sons come home without a fear.

Worship in the presence of the Lord
with joyful songs, and hearts in one accord,
and let our host at table be adored.

When at last this earth shall pass away,
when Jesus and his bride are one to stay
the feast of love is just begun that day.

Robert Stamp

2005/10/14 6:38Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re: God and man at table have sat down...

Hi Ron,

That was a quite interesting article. It concerns me that often as believers we are not in step with Biblical principals and it opens the door to false religions gaining a foothold in areas. The religion comes of as so much more real and relavant.

In our parts we have these so-called progressive dinners and such. People go from house to house eating a different part of the meal. Yet, why do we have to designate special occasions for what should be a matter of normal living? It is almost pretentious.

I was also concerned about the Christians selling alcohol in Muslim lands. I know there are various views on this, but I can't help but wonder if the shallow Christianity we are suffering in the West has not opened the floodgates to the enemy?

2005/10/14 12:06Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re: God and man at table have sat down...

Hi Ron,

That was a quite interesting article. It concerns me that often as believers we are not in step with Biblical principals and it opens the door to false religions gaining a foothold in areas. The religion comes of as so much more real and relavant.

In our parts we have these so-called progressive dinners and such. People go from house to house eating a different part of the meal. Yet, why do we have to designate special occasions for what should be a matter of normal living? It is almost pretentious.

I was also concerned about the Christians selling alcohol in Muslim lands. I know there are various views on this, but I can't help but wonder if the shallow Christianity we are suffering in the West has not opened the floodgates to the enemy?

2005/10/14 12:06Profile
eaglelionxz

Re:

One can only HOPE that the floodgates have been opened towards Heaven, and not towards the enemy.

May they all be drunk with the wine/alcohol that comes from above, and May the light of his Son, shine upon there countenance after meeting with him at the Threshing Floor.

2005/10/14 12:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy