PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Quotes on Revival

"REVIVE US AGAIN, O GOD,
THAT YOUR PEOPLE MAY REJOICE IN YOU."
(I suggest reading ALL of Psalm 85)

"When I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or command locust to devour the land or send a plague among my people, if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
2 Chr 7:13-14 (NIV)

"A movement of God among His people is characterized by a profound awareness of sin. Repentance of sin and revival are inseparable." - G. Richard Blackaby

"The Holy Spirit, as the actual agent--the Word preached, and the prayers of the people, as the instruments--and we have thus explained the cause of a true revival of religion." - C. H. Spurgeon

"Revival in its fullness will see neighborhoods, schools, work places and cultures changed and healed." - Marc Dupont

"A revival which does not make men right with God and man is a cloud without water." - Martin Wells Knapp

"The Solemn Assembly has simply fallen into oblivion at the hands of a people too arrogant to know that their own corporate sins - especially those heart sins of pride, unbelief, and rebellion - have created a nation ripe for destruction." - Richard Owens, in "The Solemn Assembly"

"The English Particular Baptist John Sutcliff, who reprinted Edwards's Humble Attempt in 1789, described this union in prayer in the following words:
'In the present imperfect state, we may reasonably expect a diversity of sentiments upon religious matter...Yet all should remember, that there are but two parties in the world, each engaged in opposite causes; the cause of God and of Satan; of holiness and sin; of heaven and hell. The advancement of the one, and the downfall of the other, must appear exceedingly desirable to every real friend of God and man...O for a thousands upon thousands, divided into small bands in their respective cities, towns, villages, and neighborhoods, all met at the same time, and in pursuit of one end, offering up their united prayers, like so many ascending clouds of incense before the Most High!'" - Dr. Thomas J. Nettles, in a sermon, "Concerts of Prayer."

"The prayer that sparks revival begins long before the countryside seems to awaken from its slumber in sin. It starts when men fall on their knees and cry out to God. That's where true intimacy with God takes place and we begin the journey of being transformed into the image of Christ. And as men are transformed, the course of a nation can be changed." - Wellington Boone

2003/11/16 15:16Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Quotes on Revival

Study the history of revival. God has always sent revival in the darkest days. Oh, for a mighty, sweeping revival today! - Adrian Rogers

Revivals begin with God's own people; the Holy Spirit touches their heart anew, and gives them new fervor and compassion, and zeal, new light and life, and when He has thus come to you, He next goes forth to the valley of dry bones…Oh, what responsibility this lays on the Church of God! If you grieve Him away from yourselves, or hinder His visit, then the poor perishing world suffers sorely! - Andrew Bonar

God's time for revival is the very darkest hour, when everything seems hopeless. It is always the Lord's way to go to the very worst cases to manifest His glory. - Andrew Gih

We often have a tinted view of revival as a time of glory and joy and swelling numbers queuing to enter the churches. That is only part of the story. Before the glory and joy, there is conviction; and that begins with the people of God. There are tears of godly sorrow. There are wrongs to put right, secret things...to be thrown out, and bad relationships, hidden for years, to be repaired openly. If we are not prepared for this, we had better not pray for revival. - Brian Edwards

Oh! men and brethren, what would this heart feel if I could but believe that there were some among you who would go home and pray for a revival - men whose faith is large enough, and their love fiery enough to lead them from this moment to exercise unceasing intercessions that God would appear among us and do wondrous things here, as in the times of former generations. - C.H. Spurgeon

Revival is a renewed conviction of sin and repentance, followed by an intense desire to live in obedience to God. It is giving up one's will to God in deep humility. - Charles Finney

A revival, then, really means days of heaven upon earth. - D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones

Does it grieve you my friends, that the name of God is being taken in vain and desecrated? Does it grieve you that we are living in a godless age...But, we are living in such an age and the main reason we should be praying about revival is that we are anxious to see God's name vindicated and His glory manifested. We should be anxious to see something happening that will arrest the nations, all the peoples, and cause them to stop and to think again. - D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones

True revival is that divine moment when God bursts upon the scene and displays his glory. - Del Fehsenfeld Jr.

Revival awakens in our hearts an increased awareness of the presence of God, a new love for God, a new hatred for sin, and a hunger for His Word. - Del Fehsenfeld Jr.

The 'glory' comes when God takes over. He fills the church with His presence and power. When He takes over, all the credit goes to Him. - Del Fehsenfeld Jr.

Revival is not just evangelism, excitement, or emotionalism. It is the extraordinary movement of the Holy Spirit! - Del Fehsenfeld Jr.

Revival, no matter how great or small in its ultimate scope, always begins with individual believers whose hearts are desperate for God, and who are willing to pay the price to meet Him. - Del Fehsenfeld Jr.

God wants to avert judgment, and He's simply looking for one person who will pay the price in prayer and in faith and in commitment, whatever it takes, to get a hold of God and not let loose. - Del Fehsenfeld Jr.

Revival is the moving of God's Spirit, through the power of His Word, to the hearts of His children, that resurrects to new life those areas which have been lying stagnant, dormant, or out of balance, and that results in new love and obedience to Jesus Christ. - Del Fehsenfeld Jr.

If revival depended on you -- your prayers, your faith, your obedience -- would your church ever experience revival? - Del Fehsenfeld Jr.

Nothing short of an outpouring of God's Spirit will revitalize and empower an impotent and anemic church to display once again His glory to a lost world. - Del Fehsenfeld Jr.

A baptism of holiness, a demonstration of godly living is the crying need of our day. - Duncan Campbell

A revival almost always begins among the laity. The ecclesiastical leaders seldom welcome reformation. History repeats itself. The present leaders are too comfortably situated as a rule to desire innovation that might require sacrifice on their part. And God's fire only falls on sacrifice. An empty altar receives no fire! - Frank Bartleman

We cannot organize revival, but we can set our sails to catch the wind from Heaven when God chooses to blow upon His people once again. - G. Campbell Morgan

If revival is being withheld from us it is because some idol remains still enthroned; because we still insist in placing our reliance in human schemes; because we still refuse to face the unchangeable truth that, 'It is not by might, but by My Spirit.' - Jonathan Goforth

I read of the revivals of the past, great sweeping revivals where thousands of men were swept into the Kingdom of God. I read about Charles G. Finney winning his thousands and his hundreds of thousands of souls to Christ. Then I picked up a book and read the messages of Charles G. Finney and the message of Jonathan Edwards on 'Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God,' and I said, 'No wonder men trembled; no wonder they fell in the altars and cried out in repentance and sobbed their way to the throne of grace!' - Leonard Ravenhill

Revival is when God gets so sick and tired of being misrepresented that He shows Himself. - Leonard Ravenhill

The spiritual disciplines of 2 Chronicles 7:14 are not just conditions for a true revival; they are the revival itself! - Lewis Drummond

A spiritual awakening is no more than God's people seeing God in His holiness, turning from their wicked ways, and being transformed into His likeness. - Lewis Drummond

An awakening is ready to burst on the dismal scene when Christians have a deep, profound Spirit of prayer for an awakening. - Lewis Drummond

In the Irish Revival of 1859, people became so weak that they could not get back to their homes. Men and women would fall by the wayside and would be found hours later pleading with God to save their souls. They felt that they were slipping into hell and that nothing else in life mattered but to get right with God... To them eternity meant everything. Nothing else was of any consequence. They felt that if God did not have mercy on them and save them, they were doomed for all time to come. - Oswald Smith

Revival is not the discovery of some new truth. It's the rediscovery of the grand old truth of God's power in and through the Cross. - Sammy Tippit

Whether it be in the personal life, or in the church life, or on the mission field, we need revival--we need revival urgently--we need revival desperately! - Stephen Olford

Revival is the manifestation of the glory, power, and blessing of the Son of God among His people. - Stephen Olford

Revival is ultimately Christ Himself, seen, felt, heard, living, active, moving in and through His body on earth. - Stephen Olford

Revival is not some emotion or worked-up excitement; it is rather an invasion from heaven which brings to man a conscious awareness of God. - Stephen Olford

Will you pray 'Revive me!' and then open your being to the Spirit of Revival? Do not rest until you have been restored to the fullness of the blessing that God is waiting to pour out in your life! - Stephen Olford

Revival is that strange and sovereign work of God in which He visits His own people--restoring, reanimating, and releasing them into the fullness of His blessing. - Stephen Olford

When God breaks into a life or a community, nothing else matters save the person of Jesus, the glory of Jesus, the name of Jesus. - Stephen Olford

Perhaps the greatest barrier to revival on a large scale is the fact that we are too interested in a great display. We want an exhibition; God is looking for a man who will throw himself entirely on God. Whenever self-effort, self-glory, self-seeking or self-promotion enters into the work of revival, then God leaves us to ourselves. - Ted Rendall

Revival is falling in love with Jesus all over again. - Vance Havner

God loves with a great love the man whose heart is bursting with a passion for the IMPOSSIBLE. - William Booth

Let Christians remember, that in a season of revival as well as in a season of coldness, the evidence of piety is to be sought in the fruits of the Spirit. And let sinners remember that no degree of attendance or means, no degree of fervor, can be substituted for repentance of sin and faith in the Savior… - William Sprague

2003/11/16 15:22Profile
Will

Auckland, New Zealand

Re:

Man these are some inspirational quotes.

I especially liked the one by Spurgeon;

Quote:
Oh! men and brethren, what would this heart feel if I could but believe that there were some among you who would go home and pray for a revival - men whose faith is large enough, and their love fiery enough to lead them from this moment to exercise unceasing intercessions that God would appear among us and do wondrous things here, as in the times of former generations. - C.H. Spurgeon

Got any more? 8-)

2003/11/16 16:45Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Got any more?

Sure brother, I love inspiring quotes, especially on revival.

There seems to be a notion abroad that if we talk enough and pray enough, revival will set in like a stock market boom or a winning streak on a baseball club. We appear to be waiting for some sweet chariot to swing low and carry us into the Big Rock Candy Mountain of religious experience . . . a kind of benign miracle, a feverish renaissance of religious activity that will come upon us, leaving us morally as we are now, except that we will be a lot happier and there will be a great many more of us...
-A.W. Tozer

In every revival there is a re-emphasis of the Church's missionary character. Men return to Calvary, and the world is seen afresh through the eyes of Christ. The infinite compassion of Christ fills the heart, and the passion evoked by Calvary demands the whole wide world as the fruit of His sacrifice.
-John Shearer

There are different kinds of fire; there is false fire. No one knows this better than we do, but we are not such fools as to refuse good bank notes because there are false ones in circulation; and although we see here and there manifestations of what appears to us to be nothing more than mere earthly fire, we none the less prize and value, and seek for the genuine fire which comes from the altar of the Lord.
-William Booth

Revival is the people of God living in the power of an ungrieved, unquenched Spirit.
-James A. Stewart

With some men it would seem, if they could control God's operations and manipulate His actions they might tolerate a revival; but to allow God a free hand, fills them with righteous indignation and horror. If only God would consent to become an 'ecclesiastic' and respect their dignity and decorum and beautiful order of service and ways of running the Church, they might condescend to have a revival.
-William P. Nicholson

Revival is a Divine attack on society.
-Ron McIntosh

My fear is not that our great movement, known as the Methodists, will eventually cease to exist or one day die from the earth. My fear is that our people will become content to live without the fire, the power, the excitement, the supernatural element that makes us great.
-John Wesley

2003/11/16 16:55Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Thank you Greg,
Much to apply here,
To take to heart.

Quote:
Revival is when God gets so sick and tired of being misrepresented that He shows Himself. - Leonard Ravenhill

Oh my! Are we not close then?

2003/11/17 1:37Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Oh my! Are we not close then?

Yes brother! It seems when the church is under control and has everything organized and in the realm of possible then God is let out of the picture. We need to get back to the place where we NEED God.

Quote:
God loves with a great love the man whose heart is bursting with a passion for the IMPOSSIBLE. - William Booth

Let's pray for this large vision, that God would open our narrow tunnel vision, and reveal His awesome and HUGE purposes in our day. William Booth caught that passion and vision for the IMPOSSIBLE and God was with Him the whole time.

2003/11/17 16:44Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy