SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : God's "new thing"? Or disobedience?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

God's "new thing"? Or disobedience?

Catholic Archbishop Wilton Gregory spoke at the Second Ponce de Leon Baptist Church in Atlanta, Georgia, on Sept. 28 and said there is a new cooperation among Baptists and Roman Catholics. He called this [i]"God's new thing."[/i]

Gregory said Baptists and Catholics have [i]"a mutual heritage of faith."[/i]

In fact, there is [b]no[/b] mutual heritage whatsoever, because they have a different faith. Sound Baptists follow the faith once delivered to the saints in the New Testament Scriptures (Jude 3) and hold to the Bible as the sole authority for faith and practice and to salvation by grace alone through faith alone without works or sacraments and to believer's baptism by immersion, [b]none of which the Roman Catholic Church accepts.[/b]

The pastor of this Southern Baptist-affiliated church, David Sapp, said, [i]"The world is put off by Christian division. It is a stumbling block for evangelism, for Christian influence in the public arena and for our own spiritual growth"[/i] ("Atlanta Archbishop Calls for Closer Baptist-Roman Catholic Relations," Associated Baptist Press, Oct. 3).

In fact, [b]God has commanded[/b] the division between true and false doctrine, between sound and apostate churches. Paul rebuked the church at Corinth for "bearing with" those who bring false gospels, false christs, and false spirits (2 Cor. 11:1-4).

Krispy

2005/10/7 11:02
Conqueror

Re: God's "new thing"? Or disobedience?

Krispy,

Not to get off topic...but what does your signature mean? What language is that.

-Conqueror

2005/10/7 14:29Profile

Re:

It's Cherokee... loosely interpretted it means "As much as possible, live in peace."

Krispy

2005/10/7 15:10
beenblake

Tennessee, USA

Re: God's "new thing"? Or disobedience?

Ephesians 4:2-16 (NLT)

2 Be humble and gentle. Be patient with each other, making allowance for each other's faults because of your love. 3 Always keep yourselves united in the Holy Spirit, and bind yourselves together with peace. 4 We are all one body, we have the same Spirit, and we have all been called to the same glorious future. 5 There is only one Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6 and there is only one God and Father, who is over us all and in us all and living through us all. 7 However, he has given each one of us a special gift according to the generosity of Christ. 8 That is why the Scriptures say, "When he ascended to the heights, he led a crowd of captives and gave gifts to his people." 9 Notice that it says "he ascended." This means that Christ first came down to the lowly world in which we live. 10 The same one who came down is the one who ascended higher than all the heavens, so that his rule might fill the entire universe. 11 He is the one who gave these gifts to the church: the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, and the pastors and teachers. 12 Their responsibility is to equip God's people to do his work and build up the church, the body of Christ, 13 until we come to such unity in our faith and knowledge of God's Son that we will be mature and full grown in the Lord, measuring up to the full stature of Christ. 14 Then we will no longer be like children, forever changing our minds about what we believe because someone has told us something different or because someone has cleverly lied to us and made the lie sound like the truth. 15 Instead, we will hold to the truth in love, becoming more and more in every way like Christ, who is the head of his body, the church. 16 Under his direction, the whole body is fitted together perfectly. As each part does its own special work, it helps the other parts grow, so that the whole body is healthy and growing and full of love.

2005/10/7 15:12Profile
Conqueror

Re:

Quote:
It's Cherokee... loosely interpretted it means "As much as possible, live in peace."

Ahh...I thought you were trying to type out "tongues" :)

2005/10/7 15:30Profile
Smokey

Edmonton Alberta Cda.

Re:

Wow..
As I was mulling over the "scripture" posted by beenblake, and checking resources to respond on this post, I came to understand why there are so many bible "translations" flooding christian circles these days. The answer is so simple, and yet so profound...
"What bible translation is best", has been a seemingly neverending debate going on on this forum since the beginning, there has been endless banter in my bible studies, and in the church I attend.. It seems that each pastor has his own favorite translation that he will use, and will liberally sprinkle verses from other versions into his sermons as needed.... The result is, as believers we no longer have a "CLERLY DEFINED STANDARD" for scriptual clarity in the church. Of course, this leads to confusion, which leads to a wattering down of biblical truth, which leads to introduction of false doctrin, which will lead to the end days Laodicean church.
Give it some thought...
Greg

2005/10/7 20:22Profile

Re:

Smokey... I absolutely agree with you. However, I hope this doesnt become another Bible versions thread, yet I can not help but believe that watered down versions are a part of what my original post is about, tho not mentioned.

As far as beenblakes post is concerned... you cant just take and adhere to the parts of scriptures that we like, and ignore the rest.

Krispy

2005/10/8 5:16
Smokey

Edmonton Alberta Cda.

Re:

I believe that every time someone puts out another "Bible translation" the world has to say."Haven't they got it right yet??"
Every new fad translation, has to undermine the credibility of the ones that have preceeded it, to the point that major challenges are coming from "within" our own walls..
Notables are The Jesus Seminar, and a man named Biship John Spong that openly, and supposedly from our midst, challenge authenticity of recorded Scripture.
It is important to remember that Scripture is only one of the tools available to the believer. Holy Spirit has been sent to us by Jesus and the Father, to be the ultimate revealer of Truth..We need to be walking in the spirit moment by moment, in touch with His desire for our personal relationship with Him.
I think that a large number of "translations" are compromised, but God has preserved enough Light to keep them effective..Trying to walk closer each and every day.. Greg

2005/10/8 20:16Profile

Re:

amen bro...

Krispy

2005/10/9 7:12
beenblake

Tennessee, USA

Re:

Ephesians 4:2-16 (KJ)

2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; 3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. 4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; 5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all. 7 But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ. 8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men. 9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? 10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.) 11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; 12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: 13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: 14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; 15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: 16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

2005/10/11 8:19Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy