SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Anointing Your Home

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Anointing Your Home

Recently a friend and I were discussing the need (or lack there of) to anoint a new home when you move in. The conversation was centered around curses or unclean spirits that may be in the house. Anyone have any input or scriptures to support this?

2005/10/4 11:51
LetUsPray

Re: Anointing Your Home

I certainly have input on this subject, but again, it is controversial, but I am willing to go out on a limb.

I will first seek the Lord though.

2005/10/4 12:24Profile

I have never anointed a home, but I usually pray for blessing on any house I'm going to live in, at a very early stage after having moved there. I don't have any Bible verses, but would expect the Lord to bring to understanding and mind, any specific matter which should be addressed in the prayer.

I have laid hands on walls of rooms and doors to rooms, in particular, depending on what I know the use of a room has been or will be, and often have mentioned the blood of the Lamb. But I would not make a routine of any prayer - much rather be led on the day at the time, by the Spirit.

Also, I found myself moving to a farm at the same time as the heir took possession after his father's death. He had grown up on that farm but still we made a point of praying in every field and grazing space, and they had never had such a good yield prior to the harvest the brought in that year. Bless the Lord.

This may seem a little vague by way of testimony, but some first-time visitors would comment on the atmosphere in one particular house, as being especially welcoming and friendly.

2005/10/4 12:42
dullrainbow

Iowa U.S.

1 John 2:27
But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Now, I am not speaking of those who you have discussed this with. This is only my opinion... I too was told of such things, when I was with those who follow another gospel. They told me just the same but refused to hear how that,
For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. Romans 8

I had an old friend once and I mean old :-) she said the devil can't come anear the blood of Jesus. We know that that blood is applied to our hearts, just as the anointing in 1 John. Now anointing people that is different.

So my point is the applied blood of Jesus that runs off the enemy of our souls.
Keep all focus on God through Jesus, not tongues, not evil spirits. not gifts ect.
1 Peter 3:11
Let him eschew evil, and do good; let him seek peace, and ensue it.
Eschew can mean: to turn around and run in the opposite direction. Or
Merriam dictionary
more at SHY:
to avoid habitually especially on moral or practical grounds : SHUN
Again it can mean: verb: avoid and stay away from deliberately; stay clear of

I may be totally wrong here and welcome any rebuke, or correction.

The Holy Spirit surrounds us on everyside to warn, protect.

just my opinion

I would like to add, that until the first battle is fought and lost, that, being the self life within our hearts. There shall never be any victories won in the second battle which is against: principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. ephesians 6

Ephesians 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.

2005/10/4 12:54Profile
LetUsPray

An encounter with a spirit of witchcraft, a number of years ago, underscores this point. I was the keynote speaker at a Christian camp for a week during which I stayed at a bed-and-breakfast in a nearby town, since there was insufficient accommodation at the camp. At the end of the week, one of the staff members of the camp asked me if I slept well at the bed-and-breakfast. I answered that I had experienced no difficulties, except for the fact that the train whistle would wake me every night. This surprised the staff member, since he had stayed at the same establishment for several months. He asked me if I had heard the footsteps in the halls at night, and if the door to my room had been opened, even though no one would be there. I told him that I had made it a habit already years before, to pray in each hotel or motel room where I would spend the night. The first thing I did, when I had entered my room, was to go on my knees and pray. I asked God’s forgiveness for all sins committed in the room and on the premises. I then spoke the cleansing of the blood of Jesus over all implements, walls, floors, and ceiling in my room. I continued and rebuked all powers of darkness and at this point I discerned a spirit of witchcraft: Then a spirit passed by my face; The hair of my flesh bristled up (Job 4:15). After about fifteen minutes of rebuking it and commanding it to leave in Jesus’ name, it did. I learned later that groups held séances and Halloween parties at this establishment.

How many of us pray in the rooms of the hotels where we stay? Even though we do not have all the insights of the effects of the spiritual realm around us, we have been given a lot of warnings in the Bible. I do not want to sleep in a room where a spirit of witchcraft, or any other wicked spirit for that matter, has made its abode. A more pointed question is: how many Christians believe the possibility that an unclean spirit shares the house (room) they live in? Judging from the reactions and comments from Christians, I have talked to through the years, along with many Christian books I have read, even to consider the influence of demonic powers in the personal lives of Christians, is heresy. Most Christians do not want to discuss or consider this possibility, or even worse - most do not believe it to be true. unquote

Quoted with permission.

2005/10/4 13:05Profile

Re:

When I first posted this I didn't fully share my thoughts on this subject. I wanted to see what others would say. For me I have never been able to find scriptures supporting the notion of anointing a building or structure. Praying a prayer of blessing for your home I can understand. When Jesus encountered demonic spirits they were always in a person not a structure or building. I also think that the person who currently lives in that house and their hearts are what is important. In other words I know many people who have anointed their home but they are caught in sin still. Habitual sin resides in their hearts and anointing their home didn't break that off. Also in reading Psalm 91 this morning I noticed again that in verses 9-11 it says...Because you have made the Lord, who is my refuge, Even the Most High, your dwelling place, No evil shall befall you, Nor shall any plague come near your dwelling; For He shall give His angels charge over you, To keep you in all your ways. Thanks for your thoughts so far and keep them coming! ;-)

2005/10/4 13:16
LetUsPray

Dear Pij,

Quote:
When I first posted this I didn't fully share my thoughts on this subject. I wanted to see what others would say.

I am a bit disappointed that you just wrote this to see what the reactions would be. I trust the Lord to use this for someone who may benefit from this thread.

Matthew 12
43 When the unclean [or foul] spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh [or pass through, journey] through dry places [or room, quarter], seeking rest, and findeth none.
44 Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished.
45 Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation.

Where do you think this spirit that was journeying through the dry places found these seven other spirits? Do you think that they were in other people and the first spirit asked the other spirits to come out of them so they could then inhabit the first person?

What do you think happened to the evil spirits that entered the herd of pigs – a legion, this would about 6,000 some tell me – when they asked Jesus? (Mark 5:13) I don’t believe that spirits drown, so they must have been somewhere. Maybe waiting for other victims?

Revelation 18:2
And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon [not a person] the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the HABITATION [or abode] of DEVILS, and the HOLD [or prison, cage] of every FOUL [or unclean] SPIRIT, and a CAGE [or hold, prison] of every unclean and hateful bird.

Only if this Babylon is a physical person holds your understanding of wicked spirits true, otherwise you should accept the fact that some people have different experiences in Christ than others and that those experiences maybe valid.

In the mean time, keep on praying or declaring Psalm 91. I speak it out loud or recite it as a prayer in the first person; it is a most effective “weapon” Christ has given us to withstand attacks from the evil one, including oppression from “stuff,” that the evil one throws at us all the time.

I continue to be deeply saddened by the very unkind things some “brothers and sisters” in Christ say about these things. If you want to be popular and accepted, don’t get involved with this.

Maybe if you asked The Father of our Lord Jesus Christ for the gift of discerning of spirits, and you received it, your perspective may change. I am 100% convinced it will.

God bless you Pij.

2005/10/4 16:34Profile
HopeinChrist

Re:

I don't know of any specific scriptures on this, although it seems like I have read somewhere in the OT of anointing a house with leprosy. Not sure, I don't have time to look it up right now.

I have anointed my house and prayed over it though. There are other family members who participate in things they should not and since I can't actually lay hands on them and anoint them, I anoint the house and other particular objects. I figure it's not going to hurt at least.
Hope

2005/10/4 17:09Profile
LetUsPray

Dear Hope,

You wrote:

Quote:
I have anointed my house and prayed over it though. There are other family members who participate in things they should not and since I can't actually lay hands on them and anoint them, I anoint the house and other particular objects. I figure it's not going to hurt at least.

Exodus 40
9 And thou shalt take the anointing oil, and anoint the tabernacle, and all that is therein, and shalt hallow it, and all the vessels thereof: and it shall be holy.
10 And thou shalt anoint the altar of the burnt offering, and all his vessels, and sanctify the altar: and it shall be an altar most holy.
11 And thou shalt anoint the laver and his foot, and sanctify it.

I have done this in churches and also participated in this when the leadership felt led to do so. Opposite to the prayers I quoted in my earlier post, I have never seen any spiritual change as a result of this anointing as was commanded under the Old Testament Law. Our New Covenant is through the Blood of Christ. As I quoted earlier, I have seen spiritual manifestations in homes, etc., on a number of occasions which negatively affected the Christians living in these homes. No anointing with oil ever changed anything, prayers and the Name of Jesus certainly did. Lastly, when Christians who dabble in certain sins are being oppressed, no prayer or anointing will ever change a thing; if nothing else, things will get worse after “housecleaning” is done without repentance on the part of the people who live in the house.

As a final note, if you are a Christian living with non-Christians, I believe that praying for them as Job prayed for his children – Job 1, substituting offerings with prayers for forgiveness – will certainly make a difference. Even Jesus asked His Father to forgive them for they didn’t know what they were doing (Luke 23:34). Jesus didn’t speak idly. I have written more regarding this on my website www.thefinalcall.net

2005/10/4 19:16Profile
HopeinChrist

Re:

Quote:
I have seen spiritual manifestations in homes, etc., on a number of occasions which negatively affected the Christians living in these homes. No anointing with oil ever changed anything, prayers and the Name of Jesus certainly did.

Yes, I believe prayer is the most effective weapon I have to combat this. The focus is always on the prayer, not the oil. I guess I just look at the oil as a tangible, symbol of faith on my part. It's like I am saying in my heart to God, "I believe your Holy Spirit is moving on and affecting this situation."

Quote:
when Christians who dabble in certain sins are being oppressed, no prayer or anointing will ever change a thing; if nothing else, things will get worse after “housecleaning” is done without repentance on the part of the people who live in the house. As a final note, if you are a Christian living with non-Christians,

At this point, I am not sure if I am dealing with the former or the latter. If you asked them, they would confess Christ. But there is one thing that really concerns me (above and beyond the acts they engage in and the rebellion). They have both sat under teaching, preaching that I know was reading their mail, creating a strong atmosphere of conviction and repentance yet they seem unaffected. It is the apathy, and indifference that really bothers me. I don't sit around trying to guess about their salvation, only God knows the heart. I just keep taking them to the Lord because I figure either way they are in desperate need of Him.
Hope

2005/10/4 22:45Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy