SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Word Origins question

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
denem7

Orange Park, FL

Word Origins question

is there a website that tells the origins of words? i just finished reading kp yohannan's book "the road to reality" (which i highly recommend). in the book ,he mentions the fact that paul usually opened his letters by saying "paul, a servant of Christ.....". kp says that the original greek for the word "servant" is DOULOS which literally means "bondservant" --which is different from a regular servant. a regular servant works 8-5, then goes home and does as he/she pleases but a "bondservant" is bound to his/her master 24 hours a day. that's the same way we are with Christ! thanks- dennis

2005/9/27 8:32Profile
samkma

Bahrain

Re: Word Origins question

A search on the internet will help. At present I do not have any links.
KP Yohanan is a reowned preacher from India.

2005/9/27 12:51Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re: Word Origins question

As Philologos may tell you, words in scripture don't have definitions as much as they do histories. there are tools that can aid you in your studies such as concordances, lexicons, etc., but these tools generally give a summary of the word in question. They are useful, but deeper studies sometimes requires some personal investigations into how the words were built layer upon layer throughout the scriptures. As for the net studylight is a good resource. If you wish to download a program esword is a good free bible software that is modular. Certainly you will want to look at other resources to see if they concur with your word study findings. This will help you keep on track and out of left field. ;-)

2005/9/27 13:05Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
This will help you keep on track and out of left field.

Can we have a explanation of this 'word origin'? I suspect it has something to do with that degenerate version of cricket that you play over there. ;-)

2005/9/28 5:34Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Can we have a explanation of this 'word origin'?

I suppose that was a vile mix of metaphors. :-? I am no where near to being as pedantic as I need to be, but you should have seen me about 2 years ago before I started following the works of Bro. Ron Bailey. ;-) I'll keep reading and listening. :-D

Quote:
I suspect it has something to do with that degenerate version of cricket that you play over there.

I have to admit I did not know how cricket was played. So I looked up this summary:

[i]Although the game play and rules are very different, the basic concept of cricket is [u]similar to that of baseball[/u]. Teams bat in successive innings and attempt to score runs, while the opposing team fields and attempts to bring an end to the batting team's innings.[/i]

I didn't mean to make it sound like a base runner in baseball running bases- but if you get out of the base lines and ran into left field you certainly would be "out".

I suppose I should have just said- consulting other sources will help minimize false conclusions. :-P

Great to have you back brother!

2005/9/28 21:13Profile

Re:

Follow Christ.

When each of us stands individually before the King on Judgment Day, we will be asked, "What did you do with MY WORD AND MY SPIRIT, who was sent to lead you into all Truth ?"

If any of us say, I followed so & so or so & so taught me this and that ..... that won't go well on That Day.

I've seen this praise of man, quite a number of times now and I'm sorry, it is robbing ones of their individual manhood in Christ.

This is becoming more than even Paul would except or tolerate. 1Corth3.

Sorry if anyone is mad at me for saying this, but no man is inerrant, nor do they deserve this almost servitude type postings that I've seen more times than I can count now on this Forum.

I admire a lot of men on this board, but I do not consistently come on here and excessively praise them. That isn't good for them or for my own growth.

We need to stand on our own, as Christ requires of each of us, and stop using this forum to promote a man continuously.

If someone followed me around doing that, I'd say the same thing. Follow Christ and don't promote a human.
If someone did that to me, I'd probably leave the forum altogether and never be found within ear shot of the person again, for their own sakes and their own walks with Christ.

I truthfully mean no harm by this posting. Quite the contrary in the Eternal scheme of things.

His Love to you.
Annie

Edited: changed bad use of words.

2005/9/28 22:03

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy