SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Buying gas with your debit card.

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Buying gas with your debit card.

I was going to put this in current events, but thought maybe not everyone goes there.

I just heard the Host of our Christian radio station tell about this, that he'd read, so I went to find the article.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Banking/Betterbanking/P118381.asp

2005/9/26 17:35
Compton

Re: Buying gas with your debit card.

Those wascally wabbits!

2005/9/26 17:43Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Hi GrannieAnnie...!

Wow -- that is really frightening! But I have experienced it in the past (just not $75). Because of this, I tend to buy my gasoline at Exxon, MurphyUSA, or HEB stations. They only place a $1 hold on both debit and credit cards.

It's amazing (and scary) how much power such companies have over consumers!

A few years ago, I noticed a $150 charge on my bank card from Blockbuster Video. I called the local store and told them that there must have been a mistake, since I didn't have a TV -- let alone a membership there. They refused to refund my money. They wanted for me to [u]prove[/u] that I did not rent any DVDs from their stores. I asked them, "How can I prove something that I did not do?" They wouldn't even tell me [i][u]when[/u][/i] the DVDs were supposedly rented -- and how they would rack up a $150 amount in late fees. Eventually, they told me what week (six months earlier) that I supposedly rented the DVDs. I realized that I was in Puerto Rico (with NASA) during that time.

Thus, I was able to [u]prove[/u] that I was not present in Texas to rent those DVDs. However, Blockbuster Video still required that I make copies of my plane tickets and my hotel receipts. I had to get those faxed from the resort. It was very tiresome, but worth it to prove my point. In the end, they never refunded my money. Instead, they mailed me a $150 gift card for Blockbuster Video. I asked them what I was supposed to do with such a card (since I did not even own a television). They told me that I could use it to buy DVDs as gifts -- or purchase snack food at the local store.

I probably could have forced them to refund money, but I eventually grew very tired of their tenacity. I still do not understand how they got my name and bank info. I emailed them (and kept a copy for myself) stating that I wanted any account under my name closed. They never emailed me back.

:-)

2005/9/26 18:02Profile

Chris,

I have to say that's a horrific tale you've just shared with us! :-o

2005/9/26 19:11
ccchhhrrriiisss

Hi Dorcas...!

Quote:
I have to say that's a horrific tale you've just shared with us!

Now, I check my online bank statements with careful scrutiny every week.

:-)

2005/9/26 20:40Profile
HopeinChrist

I have seen those $1 charges on my online statement before and always wondered what in the world they were for. Thankfully, I have not noticed and large sums blocked out!

2005/9/26 22:50Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy