SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Catholic Cardinal Publicly Prays To Allah

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Catholic Cardinal Publicly Prays To Allah

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/forum/2004/may/featured_news.gif[/img]

Catholic Cardinal Publicly Prays To Allah

"Traditional Islam: The Path to Peace"
Remarks by Cardinal Theodore McCarrick to King Abdullah II of Jordan
Archbishop of Washington and CUA Chancellor

Your Majesty,

A few months ago, when I was privileged to pray for you on another occasion in this capital city, I asked Allah, the compassionate and merciful Lord of all the world, to bless you and to help you make your country a bridge across which all nations might walk in unity, fellowship and love. As I listened to your words today, I believe my prayer is being answered.

Indeed, the Amman Message of November of last year is a blueprint and a challenge not only to the great world of Islam, but to the whole human race. Your thoughtful leadership is a stirring invitation to all of us, especially to the people of the Book, the family of Abraham, who share so much and who are called to be brothers and sisters in God's one human family.

Your Majesty's call and that of the Holy Father are in so many ways the same. May Allah, the merciful and compassionate, continue to guide your steps along this noble path. May He guide and protect you, your family and your beloved country and may peace and justice come to all lands and all peoples through your efforts, your vision and your courage.

In the name of Allah, the merciful and compassionate God, we pray. Amen.

2005/9/20 14:08Profile
JaySaved

Missouri

Re: Catholic Cardinal Publicly Prays To Allah

Where did you find this?

2005/9/20 14:13Profile
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

Nevermind, I found it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/13/AR2005091301810.html

2005/9/20 14:20Profile

Re:

At first i was like, 'first off he is Catholic', then i was like 'Allah just means God in arabic', then third i was like :-o :-o :-o ' it really means 'catholic praying in Islam's god's name' :-o :-o :-o

Wow. A beginning of change, has occured a while back, and it will continue to change. Inter-faith will run rampit.

Just the other day, a Principle of a school went to the middle school's Christian Club and he asked 'can you guys change your name from the "Christian Club" to something else, like 'we accept all faith's Club' or something??, because 'Christian Club' is offensive and we don't want to offend people'. THANK GOD those kids took a stand and said 'NO!'.

2005/9/20 21:05
groh_frog

Re:

What's the prophecy about the one-world religion? The fact that people can accept interchanging 'gods' like they are the same. Ya know, I used to think that the only way to lead a person to Christ was by living as an example, and that street preechers just push people away. Now, I know without a doubt that "repent or you will persih" must be screamed in the streets.

Father, be with us, and what we will face.

Grace and Peace...

2005/10/30 8:23Profile
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re:

This will become common, I'm sure.

Inevitable, but bad news,
-Eli

2005/10/31 13:36Profile
groh_frog

Re:

Yeah, it seems to becoming common among more than just catholic priests- I've seen a few churches that seem to accept other paths to God. Something to pray about.

Grace and Peace...

2005/11/6 11:14Profile
PTywama3

Tacoma, WA

Re: Catholic Cardinal Publicly Prays To Allah

First off, before we all get our bonnets knitted, this guy was very explicit.

We use the most generic word I know of for God. It is all in context. Everything about our God resides in the capitolizing of a letter. Wonderful, eh? Yeah. Allah actually is the word for God. If you were to pray in Arabic, randomly substituting the word God for Allah would be folly, like saying "ohio" while greeting an American in the morning. Legitimate, but completely useless. LANGUAGE MEANS SOMETHING.

Now, for some very specific points.

Quote:
A few months ago, when I was privileged to pray for you on another occasion in this capital city, I asked Allah, the compassionate and merciful Lord of all the world, to bless you and to help you make your country a bridge across which all nations might walk in unity, fellowship and love. As I listened to your words today, I believe my prayer is being answered.

Ok, so. We don't want peace. We can't accept peace. Wonderful point, boys. Yes, this is a "sign" of the end of all days. Its not even the end goal. But it will be a side affect of the return of the living God.
Quote:
Your thoughtful leadership is a stirring invitation to all of us, especially to the people of the Book, the family of Abraham, who share so much and who are called to be brothers and sisters in God's one human family.

Not being overly familiar with that particular speach, I do have to note something of worth here. The cardinal specifically points out us being children of Abraham. Notice there is a distinct difference between the children of Israel and the children of Abraham - symbolically similar, the children of Ishmael are supposed to be a "thorn." Yet the cardinal strives for unity of purpose, and expresses a value of his fellow man.
Quote:
Your Majesty's call and that of the Holy Father are in so many ways the same. May Allah, the merciful and compassionate, continue to guide your steps along this noble path.

Maybe we should understand something about Islam. They take this titling to their god to be hope, as in if I say it enough, maybe he will change and take pity on me - there is no muslim guarantee of entrance to heavan aside from righteous martyrdom (which is seriously open to interpretation). We believe it to be true. Of our God. Merciful and compassionate.

Aside from this, I would also like to bring to your attention the plight of King Cyrus of Persia.
Quote:
Ezr 1:1 Now in the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, that the word of the LORD by the mouth of Jeremiah might be fulfilled, the LORD stirred up the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia, that he made a proclamation throughout all his kingdom...

To set the Jews free. The prayers of His children would let Him act beyond their nifty little "boundaries."

Has anybody heard of the small group that went through the path the Crusades took so many centuries ago with a letter of apologies to the Muslims? How impactive was that? How horribly futile does our doctrine and appreciation say it is?

I agree that it is quite important to examine the world we live in, to accept our God and His guidance. Tradition and ritual plays a major role in this. God, however, has consistantly asked His people to step beyond that into something else. I don't know where God's hand was with this Cardinal. I do know that God is not beyond reaching out to Catholics. I also know that they're not stupid.

So I guess this whole post is a simple request: please, lets not jump to hasty conclusions.

2005/11/6 12:17Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi PTywama3...!

A few years ago, there was a five page pullout addition to the [i]Parade Magazine[/i] (found in many Sunday Newspapers in the United States) that attempted to attract tourists to Saudi Arabia (and a few other arab nations). The advertisement (that looked more like a newspaper article) tried to claim that "[i]Christians, Jews and Muslims all worship the same 'God' in different ways[/i]." In fact, one of my professors quoted that advertisement during one of my classes. Little did he know that some of us had already researched the origins of the pagan diety, "Allah" (the pagan moon god of the middle east).

Unfortunately, there are some christians that actually believe this myth.

I suggest that anyone that someone should publish a photograph of the inscription found at the two prominent mosques in Jerusalem: "[b]God has no son[/b]." This is taken from the Koran, "[i]Do not say that God has a son. God has no son. He does not need a partner. Worship only Him. There is no God but Allah[/i]." (Koran, Sura 17: 111)

There is only one God. And he came to earth under the name "Jesus." It is the name by which all nations will be judged. And it is the only Name by which mankind can be saved. [i]Oh, how I love [u]Jesus[/u][/i]!"

:-)

2005/11/6 12:40Profile
PTywama3

Tacoma, WA

Re:

Oh, I do agree that we don't worship the same god. I know that were were quite fond of using the word "Yallah," which was a transfixed word in Wolof. But I'm not sure of one common to the middle east.

I do know they take affront at our assertion that an English word is the only one they should use, just as we would.

I also don't believe the Koran to be inspired.

However, the origins of Islam are supposed to be historically tied to the children of Ishmael. And Mohammed had a Jewish base. One church leader I have conversed with suggested to me that the visions inspiring the Koran were demonic in nature.

I'm not saying that I would appraise Islam as being similar to, or even close to in line with Christianity. I'm just trying to point out that language isn't such an easy obstacle (hence possibly the tower of Babel?), and communaly castrating this cardinal (as it were) may not be the wisest course of action to take based on a cursory glance at his letter.

2005/11/6 12:54Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy