Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Jesus Baptism and Genealogy

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Samuel7

Jesus Baptism and Genealogy

Why is Jesus’ Genealogy important?

Why do you think Jesus was baptized?

In order to fulfill all Righteousness, What does this exactly mean?

If we say consecration into service, priesthood, Why?

2005/9/15 15:56Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re: Jesus Baptism and Genealogy

"Why is Jesus’ Genealogy important?"

It shows He was real from a historic perspective. Brings to mind the fact that Jesus is as real as you and I, and tangible.

There are many reflections of other things in the geneology, as well:

1) David is a direct reflection of Christ (son of Jesse).
2) The first ten names of the geneology translated into English basically say "Man, Appointed, Mortal, Sorrow, The Blessed God, Shall Come Down, Preaching (that), His Death Shall Bring, (the) Despairing, Rest."
3) Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob are a reflection of the trinity. FATHER Abraham, Isaac, the sacrificed Son, Isaac, was broken, and then blessed many nations in God's service (Holy Ghost)

The list you could make would be endless with enough study and devotion.

"Why do you think Jesus was baptized?"

John Baptist was a forerunner of Christ. Notice the fact that John begins the ministy in the New Testament. Then came Christ preaching. Then at His baptism, the dove lit on Him.

Think of John as a reflection of the Father, then we have Jesus, then the dove is the Holy Ghost. It is one of many reflections of the trinity, in this case all three converging together at His baptism.

This is where many may depart from my teaching, but I think this was also a case of Jesus showing the importance of being filled, or baptized with the Holy Ghost, (not in order to have a spritual gift, but to be anointed to serve) and how it is obediance to God that brings the experience:

Acts 5:32 "And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him."

I believe that this is one reason that the church is lacking today, is a lacking of our being filled and led by the Holy Ghost. Notice people rejected the Father in OT, though they still sought a form of godliness. Then people rejected Christ who claimed a close knit tie with the Father (though they had none). Today, people claim a close knit relationship with the Father and the Son, and reject the Holy Ghost and His ability for today. The Holy Ghost is God. Not a reflection of God, it is God. It seems most don't have a grip on that.

My opinion, no one taught me this, take it with a grain of salt: the three converged at His baptism to show 1) the diety of the all three persons of the trinity, to include the deity of the Holy Ghost, 2) and to show us to be filled with the Holy Ghost, just as Jesus was, as well as many, many other Bible figures:

Judges 6:34 "But the Spirit of the LORD came upon Gideon"

2 Chr 24:20 "And the Spirit of God came upon Zechariah"

Isaiah 61:1 "The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me"

Ephesians 5:18 "be filled with the Spirit"

2005/9/16 1:55Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy