SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Mormons!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Mormons!

About two weeks ago I encountered a couple of Mormons at the market where I preach. I don't know too much about Mormonism except what I had heard, and from what I talked to these two guys about.

It's very sad... there is this one young boy, maybe 15, his name is "Elder Davis". His eyes have no color in them, and he was born into it.

These sort of groups always start by trying to convince you they believe the same thing you do, and little by little bring in their lies and deceit. I was wondering if anyone here knew anything about this group, the places you can catch them in their words, and anything about the evil that they do behind the scenes.

I'm not completely in the dark about this. I know basically what it's all about, Joseph Smith etc., but I'm asking for more stark and in your face stuff about the Mormons that they wouldn't like you to know.

My heart goes out to that young boy, they all need Jesus badly.

In Christ,
-Eli

2005/9/12 9:10Profile

Re: Mormons!

Eli,
You know i am glad you asked this question! I have just recently been in touch with my grandads (my mum's dad) side of the family who i had been looking for. What actually happened was a letter came from his nephew, my mums cousin and i've been in touch since.
He is a mormon and in his emails he talks about the Lord in such an intimate way! So i shared with him the gospel message but i think i need to know a little more about what he believes. :-(
I thought i would get him to see SI for a while. He's very sincere and a lovely person but very set in his belief in mormonism and so otherwise dicieved.
Any help would be appreciated to bringing this man into the light and in truth. :-)
In His Love, Geraldine

2005/9/12 9:20
PreachParsly

Arkansas

I am reading [url=http://www.alibris.com/search/search.cfm?S=R&qisbn=0842328602&qsort=p&siteID=5XyA0IB08qw-vPz5eXHOu.iKh.2RdNnCZw]Larson's New Book of Cults [/url] right now. Alibris has the book for about $3 (Used). I really enjoy it so far. It goes through a lot of cults.

2005/9/12 9:23Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Mormons belive Jesus was a creation of God... in other words not eternal. They also belive that Jesus, Michael the angel, and Satan were all brothers. I'm pretty sure that's what they belive if its not them its the JW's that belive that.. but I think its Mormon.

2005/9/12 9:25Profile

Re:

If they claim to be Christians, who are we to judge?

Just kidding...

Seriously tho, our next door neighbors are Mormons, and it is a strange religion. Very very deceitful.

I refer to our neighborhood as "Cult Hill"... we have 2 Roman Catholic families, 1 Mormon family, and 1 Seventh Day Adventist family. Everyone is wonderful, and we love our neighbors... but some are very deceived. But God has placed us right smack in the middle in order to reach out to them.

Krispy

2005/9/12 10:08
Kadmiel

Florida, U.S.A.

Brother Eli,

I reccomend this book highly and its in-expensive to. It's paperback.

"Mormons" - Answered Verse by Verse

by: David A. Reed and John R. Farkas

Publisher: Baker Book House

2005/9/12 11:40Profile
Kadmiel

Florida, U.S.A.

You can also get the same for Jehovah Witness

"Jehovah's Witnesses Answered" - Verse by Verse

by: David A. Reed

publisher: Baker Book House

2005/9/12 11:46Profile
roadsign

evaluating someone outside of ourselves

You might want to check over their site and see yourself what they say about themselves and their beliefs. When I read it, I found some good stuff. However, I could also see where some of their teaching came from their founder, and the people have just assumed it to be right.

I must admit that I often get uncomfortable taking on an outside group and evaluating them, because many times the roots of their flaws hit pretty close to home. For instance, Scripture makes it clear that we are not to put our trust in man. Dependence on man violates the work of the Spirit and opens us up to heresies. Yet, if we are honest, within our own evangelical wing there are many who follow after the word of a man and are slipping into heresies. It is happening, in spite of our good doctrinal position that claims that Christ is our highest authority. Our own heresies are more the concern to me, because I am in that environment. Christ has called us to take out the speck out of our own eyes before trying to take the speck out of others. But sometimes studying another religion helps us learn about ourselves. For we are all made of the same stuff, and have the same bent to stray. Like the Mormons, every religion has a bent to get legalistic – trusting in their own works rather than Christ.

I once knew a Mormon family that had gone through incredible trials in their lives. I remember the husband sharing, with tears in his eyes, how during those dark times the Word of God was his only comfort. He would spend hours reading and studying it. He never mentioned once about Joseph Smith being a comfort or guide to him. This man is now a leader in his congregation. (PTL – God will work anywhere where there are broken people seeking him)

The Mormons do not disclaim the authority of Scripture, and they have retained many of the traditional Christian hymns. If anyone within their religion really WANTS to seek God, God can be found. For the most part, like for any religion, the people prefer to float along blindly – never questioning anything.
Diane

2005/9/12 11:51Profile
disciplejosh

Southern California

Eli,

Here is a good site to check out with info on Mormons.
[url=http://www.mrm.org/]Mormonism Research Site[/url]

I pray that the Lord is blessing you as you continue to go out to the Market to preach.

2005/9/12 11:59Profile
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re:

Thanks everyone.

2005/9/12 14:25Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy