SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Old Paths - Aggressive Christianity by Catherine Booth

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Old Paths - Aggressive Christianity by Catherine Booth

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/oldpaths_catherine1.gif[/img]

Go ye into all the world and preach the Gospel to every creature. --Mark 16:15

It seems to me that we come infinitely short of any right and rational idea of the aggressive spirit of the New Testament saints. Satan has got Christians to accept what I may call a namby-pamby, kid-glove kind of system of presenting the Gospel to people. Seek them out; run after them, wherever you can get at them. "Every creature "--wherever you find a creature that has a soul--there go and preach My Gospel to him. If I understand it, that is the meaning and the spirit of the commission.

Opposition! It is a bad sign for the Christianity of this day that it provokes so little opposition. If there were no other evidence of it being wrong, I should know it from that. When the Church and the world can jog along comfortably together, you may be sure there is something wrong. The world has not altered. Its spirit is exactly the same as it ever was, and if Christians were equally faithful and devoted to the Lord, and separated from the world, living so that their lives were a reproof to all ungodliness, the world would hate them as much as ever it did. It is the Church that has altered, not the world. You say, `We should be getting into endless turmoil.' Yes; "I came not to bring peace on the earth, but a sword." There would be uproar. Yes; and the Acts of the Apostles are full of stories of uproars. One uproar was so great that the Chief Captain had to get Paul over the shoulders of the people, lest he should have been torn in pieces. `What a commotion!' you say. Yes; and, bless God, if we had the like now we should have thousands of sinners saved.

Oh, precious Saviour! save us from maligning Thy Gospel and Thy name by clothing it with our paltry notions of earthly dignity, and forgetting the dignity which crowned Thy sacred brow as Thou didst hang upon the cross! Like the Apostles, let us be willing to push our limbs into a basket, and so be let down by the wall, if need be, or suffer shipwreck, hunger, peril, nakedness, fire, or sword, or even go to the block itself, if thereby we may extend His kingdom and win souls for whom He shed His blood. The Lord fill us with this love and baptize us with this fire, and then the Gospel will arise and become glorious in the earth, and men will believe in us, and in it. They will feel its power, and they will go down under it by thousands, and, by the grace of God, they SHALL.

---

Catherine Booth (1829-1890). The beginnings of what became the “Salvation Army” were wrought in the slums of London, where William and Catherine held tent meetings and marched through the streets to advertise the meetings. Mrs. Booth became an effective preacher and was offered to have her sermons published. Hundreds of people were converted under her speaking. When she died in 1890 it was a great loss. Her life had been a challenge to thousands who remembered her as an untiring soldier in God's Army.?

Download the whole issue here:
Old Paths Newsletter Issue 01

2005/9/10 17:54Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy