SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What about the New American Standard Bible (NASB)?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

I absolutely 100% agree with letsgetbusy's last post. Amen brother.

And this all begs another question to be asked: Since the modern versions all claim to make the Bible more understandable, why is ignorance of the scripture at an all time high in the church today? Seems to me that if the 100+ modern versions (with a new one coming out every 2 months average) made the Bible more clear and understandable, we would have churches chuck full of theologians. The opposite is true.

Krispy

2005/9/14 13:38
freedbyjc

Jacksonville. Florida

Re:

To address "KK's" new question ...I hope to God not!

The disciplines of theology have their place ... but 90% of the churches in America are not ready for the cut of that meat ... they are still enjoying the glut of milk and will not be weaned unless we 'slow the flow' and make them hungry for more substantial fare.

If in any churches today the emphasis is on making more theologians, IMHO we're headed in the wrong direction [been there, done that, moved on]... We need living, breathing disciples of Christ who have a REAL relationship with Him through His Word.

Two theologians arguing the merits of different translations are not winning their souls to Christ. You cannot discuss theology with the lost-it's like shaving a cat [no pun intended] or describing love to a 1 year old. You CAN talk of the rule of law, sin, death and then of repentance, confession, profession, grace, mercy and love.

The new translations are to get the Word of God and the Words of Christ to those that need it most... The 'illiterate' of the world who cannot read anything deeper than a comic book or who buy 'bestsellers' by the pound and devour them in days to fulfill their loneliness for human interaction. They are 'ignorant' due to a lack of training to identify the needs of their souls and of the discipline to actively seek and read what nourishes the heart and soul.

Our worship services have become the new "American Idol" and are noting but showcases of congregational prosperity. They'd rather pay to have someone else create an awesome performance than to get down on their knees and worship God with their personal and public lives.

"Chuck" full is an accurate perception "K", most could not stand the heat of holiness and are the 'up' spew that has departed that body of Christ and has collected in the lower places.

It is not enough to say that you know of God and Christ through the Word ... you must have a right relationship with them. You must know the heart of God buy spending time with him daily not just reading and praying but listening and seeking His discernment in your life ... you must know the mind of Christ by allowing Him to live through you minute-by-minute and using His power to work His Father's miracles here on earth ... and you must know the voice of the Holy Spirit as intimately as you know the heart and mind of your lover-so much that you finish each others sentences and can know their thoughts, perceptions, needs and desires in a glance or in the inflection in their voice.

Whoa … way more than I planned to post but hey, what are these things for but to share what’s on our hearts ?

Back to the original question, what’s the best version of the bible? The one that you will devoutly read the Word, study its precepts, meditate on its meaning and discuss how you’ve applied its tenets to your life with others daily.

If your eyes and mind show you that you are missing something from the Word or your heart and your soul gives you the feeling that something is not right as you read the Word, as long as it is more than your heart and life being called into obedience…act on that discernment and make the next move to draw away from a worldly translation and closer to God by seeking a deeper place with Him so He can show you His heart.

2005/9/15 8:15Profile

Re:

I agree with your post... you are correct about the state of many churches today. My comment on theologians was merely a way of saying that more people would be of sound doctrine... and as demonstrated many times even on this website, sound doctrine is lacking.

Many are fond of saying that doctrine doesnt matter, but it sure mattered a whole lot to Paul when he wrote and instructed a young preacher named Timothy.

So let me rephrase what I was saying... if the 100 plus modern versions are meant to make the Bible more understandable, then it would seem to me that more Christians would hold to sound doctrine. However, this is not true.

Krispy

2005/9/15 8:26
jeremyhulsey

Re:

Hi Krispy,

Quote:
So let me rephrase what I was saying... if the 100 plus modern versions are meant to make the Bible more understandable, then it would seem to me that more Christians would hold to sound doctrine. However, this is not true.

I don't think that the lack of sound doctrine is the result of the multiple versions--and certainly there are a few versions that do damage to sound doctrine. Instead, the lack of sound doctrine is the result of the failure to [i]read[/i] any of those versions and seek to understand what is being read.

2005/9/15 10:36Profile
Manfred

Continental Europe

Re: NASB

Quote:
Most folks either are ignorant of the fact that there are two streams of very different Greek texts

Which ones?

2005/9/15 10:37Profile

Re:

Quote:
I don't think that the lack of sound doctrine is the result of the multiple versions--and certainly there are a few versions that do damage to sound doctrine. Instead, the lack of sound doctrine is the result of the failure to read any of those versions and seek to understand what is being read.

I didnt say reading modern versions causes unsound doctrine among believers... merely saying that we ave 100 plus modern versions since 1881, yet sound doctrine is lacking more today than ever before.

How many times do I have to clarify things that I say? Am I writing in tongues or something?

Krispy

2005/9/15 10:48
jeremyhulsey

Re:

Quote:
I didnt say reading modern versions causes unsound doctrine among believers... merely saying that we ave 100 plus modern versions since 1881, yet sound doctrine is lacking more today than ever before.

How many times do I have to clarify things that I say? Am I writing in tongues or something?

Perhaps you should make an attempt to be more clear. The context of your statements seemed to carry that implication. At least to me anyway.

2005/9/15 10:56Profile

Re:

Perhaps... and perhaps people read too much into what others are saying. I know I've done that myself.

Krispy

2005/9/15 11:31
tom74

Re: What about the New American Standard Bible (NASB)?

in my own opinion the reason why so many churches throughout christendom have adopted so many of these new translations, namely NASV, NIV,and so many others, it is to cover the heresies that they practise and young believers are. sucked into fantasies, and heresies like sabellianism and neo-montanism because the"Bible" says so. Brethren and Sisters we should always be mindful, these are dark days were Satan is indeed an angel of light, deceiving many using a cloak of religion. we do not need another version or should i say perVersion of God's holy word

2005/9/15 16:09Profile
5nva

Re:

Tom74:

Welcome to SI.

Could you please tell me what heresies the NASB covers or supports. I am just curious sense you made this statement and so I may have a better undertanding of where you are coming from.

Thanks and God bless.

Mike

2005/9/15 17:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy