SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Open Airing in a different culture

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Open Airing in a different culture

As my location sugests I live in South Africa. Where I live there are many indigenous folk of the Zulu tribe who speak, surprise, surprise Zulu. Does any of the open air guys have any suggestions about how to go about Preaching with a language barrier in between? I know its easy to just take an interpreter, but I don't know, it just feels different. I mean how on earth do heckle with a guy whose language you can't speak. Can you imagine doing that with an interpreter in between,:lol: the poor guy. Thats funny, if any of you have worked with an interpreter I'm sure you know what I mean.

I may just be making excuses, but does anyone have any advice?

2005/9/4 15:56Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re: Open Airing in a different culture

bump!

2005/9/5 0:56Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Open Airing in a different culture

Hi Zeke
I think there may be very definite advantages in preaching through an interpreter, if your interpreter is interpreting into his mother tongue. Unless your Zulu is perfect it will be a distraction to your Zulu hearers, or with a proud people might even be regarded as condescending.

If you use a brother in the interpretation it will have the effect of 'earthing/grounding' the message into their own culture from one of their own people. Consequently it will sound much less 'foreign'. The light will shine in the darkness, rather than into the darkness. (think about it before you ask me what I mean ;-) ) It will also have the advantage of 'teaching' your interpreter. There are few things so useful to the preacher as having to teach others. If your interpreter translates not just the words but the spirit of what you are saying, the message will have to pass through his own soul.

The partnership of 'white' and 'black' in friendly fellowship of the gospel is a very precious thing to see. Praise your interpreter, make sure that your hearers see him as a full partner in your message and not just a tool. This is a powerful testimony to gospel authenticity. Wherever possible make sure you have had a little fellowship with your interpreter and if possible pray together. I have come to regard preaching through interpreters as a thrilling aspect of fellowship in the gospel.

Remember too, if this is the regular interpreter for a group and every visiting speaker uses him the amounts of rubbish that may have to pass through him, and try not to add to the load! :-D

I have preached so much through interpreters that I have come to prefer it in teaching contexts! I think this works best if you are a real linguistic dummy like me! I HAVE to make myself understood to my interpreter. I have to break down my ideas sentence by sentence; every sentence must carry a complete thought. With a little practical experience the few seconds of 'Zulu' give enough time for the brain to order its next thought.

This reminds me to say 'be thoughtful' of your interpreter. He has no little mental pauses; he must give 100% attention when you are speaking and 100% attention when he is speaking. His mental/physical labours will take twice as much energy from him as from you.

If you are going to use a Bible verse let your interpreter hear it before you start and make sure his version doesn't take the thought process in a completetly different direction to yours. Make sure that the 'spider' in your Proverbs reference isn't a 'lizard' in his!

I've never been heckled in another language! However, I think I would enjoy it. Having to go through the interpreter will mean that we can't use those clever sound bites that silence the heckler. It will also slow the whole process, which is not a bad thing sometimes. It could give you an opportunity to make a real contact with the heckler rather than beating him to death with a neat Bible verse. It may mean you will have to 'talk' to him rather than 'preach' at him. ;-)

All in all, regard it as an enhancement rather than an obstacle to the preaching of the gospel.

2005/9/5 4:59Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy