SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Is the Christ life in harmony with our nature?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Is the Christ life in harmony with our nature?

Below is a short piece, captured from the Random Articles facility.

(Sorry I missed the author's name at the time.)

I wonder if anyone else agrees there are difficulties, doctrinally, in accepting the author's theses?

If so, using scripture, how would you frame either your objection(s) or a more correct way of presenting truth to the enquirer?

'I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live

The Christ life is in harmony with our nature. The other day I was asked by a thoughtful, intelligent woman - one not a Christian, but who had the deepest hunger for that which is right - "How can Christ enter us and we not lose our individuality? This experience will destroy our personality; it violates our responsibility as individuals." My response was, "Your personality is incomplete without Christ. Christ was made for you, and you were made for Christ, and until you meet Him you are not complete. He needs you as you need Him. "Suppose," I continued, "that gas jet should say, 'If I take this fire in, the gas coursing through me will lose its individuality.' Oh, no; it is only when the fire comes in that the gas fulfills its purpose for being. "Suppose the snowflake should say, 'What shall I do? If I drop on the ground I shall lose my individuality.' But it falls and is absorbed by the soil, and with the coming spring the snowflakes are seen in the primroses and daisies." Let us lose ourselves and rise to a new life in Christ.'

2005/9/2 21:04

Re: Is the Christ life in harmony with our nature?

Coloassians 1

"Everything was made for Him and by Him" Since when is it that Christ was made for us? It is the other way around...

There are unbelievably contradictory implications with the assumptions that can be deduced from the thesis... FLAT OUT UNBIBLICAL!

2005/9/2 22:41

Quote:
There are unbelievably contradictory implications with the assumptions that can be deduced from the thesis... FLAT OUT UNBIBLICAL!

Could you explain a little more deeply from scripture, what you mean, please?

2005/9/4 8:55

first of all, brother read it with a grain of salt since, even though i grew up in a christian home, i don't believe i was ever in the process of being saved until a few years ago. so, this to say that some of what i say, bounce it off others.

First and foremost, Christ was never made for us. Christ is sufficent by Himself, whether humans existed or not, or the World did or not. He still is part of that God-Head- that ever was, is and be. John 6 i think it is, makes clear of that matter. That passage from Colossians does not necessiate that the World be created for Christ's existence, or his coming into this world as a sacrifical Lamb for human kind. There are some mysteries here that I doubt we will ever know, may be not even in heaven. The mystery of salvation,- that Christ was designated for the slaying from before the foundation of the World- that mystery is what it is for me- a mystery.

Let me take the issue from a different vantage point. What makes us human is that the Breath of the Living God is upon each human being. That by itself designates us as properties of the Living God for without breath we don't have consiciousness to know of ourselves that we do exist in THIS WORLD- now that is not to say we won't be able to have consiciousness in another- that i still have sorting through. This breath i believe was not just given to us for breathing as we know it today. I believe it was also the Spirit of God dwelling in fulness in its full glory within us. And once sin entered the Human heart, the glory departed which I believe rendered us dead - that is dead in consciousness to the knowledge and experience of the fulness of God within ourselves.

- i can't emphasize how much of the property of God we are(property- really for a lack of a better word). I believe we could say we are not property of God- if God didn't demand of all Human beings and for that matter all Creation- that all submit and behold His glory- that God actually demands worship out of everything that He ever created,will create and has created.

I believe you are right in stating that we will never be complete without Christ because we have lost essentially the most important component that makes us human- the Spirit of God that dwelled in Adam before the Fall. Christ by His blood enables that relationship to resurect again- hence, the verse you mentioned- It is no longer that I live, but Christ. i.e, Christ is the one who resurrects the Spirit of humans back to become in touch with God.

PLEASE READ THE WHOLE PARAGRAPH NOT JUST THE FIRST LINE.I need Christ first and foremost- not so that my sins are forgiven - NO, it is SO THAT I MAY KNOW THE ONLY TRUE GOD, AND JESUS CHRIST THE SON. I only say that because, hypothetically speaking- if Sin did not render the relationship between God and every other being related to God dead- we would not need a Savior. But we do, and that Savior is not there foremost to give a cleansing- for the sake of Cleansing- he is there to restore what belongs to the Father back to Him. Otherwise, I don't need to be a follower of Christ- since I can start to believe Buddhism or Hinduism and go through the life-cycles until I reach nirvana.
Dude, i said too much. I wait eaegerly to be corrected because i am sure there might be questionable things written. We will see.
Listen to messages by Richard Owen Roberts. Of all messages i have heard from this site, he has the clearest and deepest explanation of salvation and other fundamental biblical doctrines. He is a revival preacher but well gifted and godly in his approach of doctrinal matters.

2005/9/5 8:10

Brother sb1175

Quote:
Dude, i said too much. I wait eaegerly to be corrected because i am sure there might be questionable things written. We will see.

I don't think so. You brought forward some very good points, which I will highlight. Just for your info, I'm a sis (Acts 9:36) and I appreciate the time you took to make such a big reply.

Also, I didn't write the piece above. On the front page of SI, there is on the right, a new article is available every time the home page is called up. This was one of them and I chose to bring it up for discussion, precisely because I didn't agree with the basic premise that the Christ life is in harmony with our [u]nature[/u].

However, I can see there is a different way of looking at 'our nature' which would make it more like Christ (than less like Christ), namely remembering that when we were made in God's image, and Christ was born of woman as well as God, He was identifying with our nature. What He was not doing at the point of His [i]birth[/i] was identifying with our [u]sin[/u] - He did that at His death. The question remains though, whether the invitation given in the article, which does not [i]mention[/i] sin, (although the scripture given is 'I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live') is a fair repost? How can a person accept to be identified with the crucifixion of Christ, and at the same time the following be true?
Quote:
"Your personality is incomplete without Christ. Christ was made for you, and you were made for Christ, and until you meet Him you are not complete.

Will not the person who receives such a thought, struggle with embracing the cross?

It is clear from the analogy of the gas burning and the snowflake nurturing new life, that the speaker understands the principle, but I keep returning to the question of whether the last quote is compatible with the truth?

You said
Quote:
First and foremost, Christ was never made for us. Christ is sufficent by Himself, whether humans existed or not, or the World did or not. He still is part of that God-Head- that ever was, is and be. John 6 i think it is, makes clear of that matter. That passage from Colossians does not necessiate that the World be created for Christ's existence,

...i can't emphasize how much of the property of God we are(property- really for a lack of a better word). I believe we could say we are not property of God- if God didn't demand of all Human beings and for that matter all Creation- that all submit and behold His glory- that God actually demands worship out of everything that He ever created,will create and has created.

...I need Christ first and foremost- not so that my sins are forgiven - NO, it is SO THAT I MAY KNOW THE ONLY TRUE GOD, AND JESUS CHRIST THE SON. I only say that because, hypothetically speaking- if Sin did not render the relationship between God and every other being related to God dead- we would not need a Savior. But we do, and that Savior is not there foremost to give a cleansing- for the sake of Cleansing- [b]he is there to restore what belongs to the Father back to Him[/b].

Amen to all these points you made, particularly the establishment of God's order. I like the feeling of security this gives to the whole plan of salvation... that God will have His heart's desire and people can choose to be part of it or not. Tragically - or not.

2005/9/13 18:53
Graftedbranc

Re: Christ compatable with our "nature"

We have to distinguish between our being as created human beings and our nature being our fallen human independant soulish nature.

In our original creation we are created by God in His image and Likeness as a glove is created in the image and likeness of a hand. We were created as vessels to recevie and to contain God that we might be His expression in the earth. This was God's purpose in HIs creation of Man according to the Bible. And man's fulfillment is dependant on HIs fulfillment of God's eternal Purpose for him.

But as fallen creatures our nature is corrupted by the poisen of the Serpant and fallen and is contrary to God and to Christ. NOt only that but our spirit is dead and we are separated from the Life of God.

True satisfaction is realized only by our redemption and restoration and by partaking of the Tree of Life for which we were created. Our fallen natural life resists this and that is why we must take the cross and deny our "soul life". It is fallen and restless. It must be denied by the application of the cross by the indwelling Spirit.

But as we undergo the process of the application of the cross and the resurrection Life of Christ, our natural capacities and our "soul" (not our soul life) is renewed and sanctified and brought into to resurrection by the indwelling LIfe of Christ. This brings our being into intigration and brings us the satisfaction which can come only by drinking of the Water of the Spirit which Christ gives and is in fact Christ Himself as the Spirit of Life. If we drink of this water we will be satisifed continually.

Our fallen flesh and our corrupted human nature will never find satisfaction in Christ. That is why Christ terminated the Old creation on the Cross. Only by the application of the cross by the Spirit to "put to death the deeds of the body" can we experience the overcomming and satisfying Life of Christ and only as the Spirit renews us and sanctifies us do we experience something of the rest and satisfaction for which we were created and redeemed.

As Christians our flesh does not change. And it will be present with us until the "redemption of our body". Our relationship to our fallen natural life is one of "putting to death" and "denying our soul LIfe". But in doing so we experience His resurrection Life and we enjoy the riches of Christ infused into our being and we learn to live by faith in the Son of God who loved us and gave Himself for us.

graftedbranch

2005/11/12 17:56Profile

Quote:
Only by the application of the cross by the Spirit to "put to death the deeds of the body" can we experience the overcomming and satisfying Life of Christ and only as the Spirit renews us and sanctifies us do we experience something of the rest and satisfaction for which we were created and redeemed.

Amen. I would back this up with Rom 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead [b]shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you[/b], which leads on to your reference to 'deeds of the body'.

Quote:
As Christians our flesh does not change.

I don't agree with this on two counts - although it is a popular doctrine - because if one has been baptised into His death, then His death [b]is effective[/b] in putting to death the deeds of the flesh - and this I have experienced. Also, the physical body is renewed, literally, every seven years, and this contributes considerably to victory over sin, in that it enables God to restore our flesh to its default settings, if not to alter some of them entirely at a very deep bio-chemical level.

People who are still battling with the [i]same[/i] problems in the flesh after many years of claiming faith in Christ, may be genuine in their faith at a level from the neck up - maybe even from the heart up - but, they have never really brought their [u]body[/u] to Christ for the ministry it needs, to be delivered from the troubles they continue to experience.

Further (a third reason) - if we have received the nature of Christ, through the gift of the Holy Spirit, [u]He was the Word made Flesh[/u], then there [i][b]is[/i][/b] a compatibility between the life of flesh and God's nature [b][i]because[/b][/i] we have been made in His image physcially (originally) and it is only SIN which spoiled things.

What I'm trying to say is, the life of God through the Spirit, [b][i]should[/i][/b] be able to find a home in our [u]physical body[/u], once sin is identified and dealt with.

What I didn't like in the article with which I started the thread, is the implication that one can receive Christ without [u]dealing with[/u] sin.

2005/11/21 3:17
Graftedbranc

Re:

Quote:
I don't agree with this on two counts - although it is a popular doctrine - because if one has been baptised into His death, then His death is effective in putting to death the deeds of the flesh

What we find is that even though we have been baptised into His death and in Him we died to sin and the authority of the flesh, This reality is only known to us and experienced by us as we walk by and in the Spirit.

Romans 6:11 says: Knowing this, that our old man has been crucified with Him in order that the body of sin might be annulled (rendered powerless), That we should no longer serve sin.

IN this verse, we see two things. The Old man and the body of sin (or the flesh KJV). This verse does not say our flesh was crucified with Christ, but our Old man. The Old man was a slave to the flesh and a servant of sin in the flesh.

But we have been crucified in Christ and the flesh no longer has authority over us in Christ. We are not under obligation to sin in the flesh. But the flesh of sin is still there. It has not changed, Our relationship to it has changed. We are free from it's dominion.

The Christian's flesh has not changed. And until the redemption of our body (Romans 8:11) when we are transfigured in rapture or resurrection at our Lord's comming, our flesh remaines the same.

However, because we are in Christ and in Christ our "old man" was crucified who was enslaved to the flesh, and we are joined to Another, We can by living by the Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus live the overcomming victorious Life of Christ.

When we believe into Christ we are put into Christ and He is put into us. WE died in Christ to sin. We did not die in ourselves to sin. And only by the application by the Spirit in our spirit of this reality can we know in experience the liberation from our fallen flesh. It is not automatic. It is not something that happens once for all by some "work of grace". But rather it is the daily application of the cross to our flesh as we walk in the spirit and live by the law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus.

We have to "put to death the deeds of the Body by the Spirit..." If there were not still the "deeds of the body" we would not have to "put it to death by the Spirit. If the flesh were not still there, and if the flesh were different and not the "flesh of sin" we would have no need to "by the Spirit put to death the deeds of the body.

The very fact that we havt to deal with the flesh by the Spirit to put it to death is proof that it still is there and still the same. And it matters not how many years you have walked with the Lord. If you neglect prayer, and time spent with the Lord and the exercise of your spirit in feeding on Christ in the Word, The flesh will assert itself. If you are not strong in spirit and actively abiding in Christ, your flesh will assert itself and you will find yourself living according to the flesh. If we are not walking in and by the Spirit we will be in our flesh.

Graftedbranch

2005/11/23 4:30Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Quote:

sb1175 wrote:
Coloassians 1

"Everything was made for Him and by Him" Since when is it that Christ was made for us? It is the other way around...

I think that this comment is a clear indicator of being a little bit "precious". Sometimes we have to accept that the gospel is meant to be a volitile, and the God is perfectly capable of sticking up for Himself.

I believe that Gal 2:20, presents a slightly circular senario, which reveals something of God's submission to His creation (please put you "stones" down and let me explain). As Norman Grubb put it, this verse show three type of self:

[b]Wrong self[/b] - the one that is "crucified with Christ"
[b]No self[/b] - the one that "neverless lives"
[b]Right self[/b] - the one that says that "Christ Jesus lives in me"

Consider Jesus who "made himself a servant". The eternal God, who submitted himself to the limitations of being a child, and son of Joseph. God has "fixed" Himself with a decision to live a life with the limitation of "inability to lie" and to be defined by "love". Therefore He has submitted Himself to work for the overall benefit of mankind, over His own preference (consider Jesus payer in Gethsemane).

Jesus is the pattern Son. He is the expression of man as man was intended to be. This is how Adam would have been prior to the fall, only with an intricate knowledge of the consequences of the fall.

Essentially, the chain of command goes like this:
God is the head of man
Man is the head of the wife
Wife is the head of the children
The children have command over God (only because God has willingly expressed a desire to submit Himself to the childlike) - Note: This God's integrity demands submission, or otherwise He would be selfish.

Don't forget also, the legalists worst nightmare verse, John 3:16 - which clearly says that Jesus was sent to the world in response to His love for it (ie. Christ for the world, which takes nothing away from the world for Christ).

As far as the original question, I once heard a really good explaination of the [b]filling[/b] of the Holy Spirit, as opposed to being [b]full[/b] of the Holy Spirit. David Pawson said that we should "think of it more about addition". In otherwords, Gal 2:20 says clearly that [b]we[/b] are still there, but [b]He[/b] now presides in our nature.

I hope this brings some clarity.

2005/11/23 5:21Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re: Re: Is the Christ life in harmony with our nature?

In answer to the opening question, yes. Christ life is in harmony with our nature, in as much as our sin nature is not harmonious to our true nature, producing death (James 1). We are not built for selfishness, and that is why it is so [b]self[/b]-destructive to us. We are made in the image of God, but unfortunately, we have fallen, which requires our salvation.

the unltimate question is, could we truly know union with God, without this fall. I personally believe that the answer is "No", but that will be one of the the first questions that I ask Him, when I stand "face to face" with Him.

2005/11/23 6:54Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy