SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : World stunned as US struggles with Katrina

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 World stunned as US struggles with Katrina

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/forum/2004/may/featured_news.gif[/img]

LONDON (Reuters) - The world has watched amazed as the planet's only superpower struggles with the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, with some saying the chaos has exposed flaws and deep divisions in American society.
World leaders and ordinary citizens have expressed sympathy with the people of the southern United States whose lives were devastated by the hurricane and the flooding that followed.

But many have also been shocked by the images of disorder beamed around the world -- looters roaming the debris-strewn streets and thousands of people gathered in New Orleans waiting for the authorities to provide food, water and other aid.

"Anarchy in the USA" declared Britain's best-selling newspaper The Sun.

"Apocalypse Now" headlined Germany's Handelsblatt daily.

The pictures of the catastrophe -- which has killed hundreds and possibly thousands -- have evoked memories of crises in the world's poorest nations such as last year's tsunami in Asia, which left more than 230,000 people dead or missing.

But some view the response to those disasters more favorably than the lawless aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

"I am absolutely disgusted. After the tsunami our people, even the ones who lost everything, wanted to help the others who were suffering," said Sajeewa Chinthaka, 36, as he watched a cricket match in Colombo, Sri Lanka.

"Not a single tourist caught in the tsunami was mugged. Now with all this happening in the U.S. we can easily see where the civilized part of the world's population is."

2005/9/2 14:55Profile
Christisking

Los Angeles, California

Re: World stunned as US struggles with Katrina

The worst part is that America claims to be a Christian nation "In God We Trust" - boasting 80% of the population claiming Christianity as their religion. Talk about putting Christ to open shame in front of the whole world. This is truly disgusting.

2005/9/2 15:05Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

I just read a story about President Bush walking down a street with two ladies crying saying they had nothing and him consoling them and walking with them with his arms around them. It almost brought me to tears. Brothers and Sisters we need to pray for Mr. Bush and those involved with this. How utterly devestating this is for many lives. May they find the comforter of souls, Jesus.

2005/9/2 15:07Profile

Re:

What I hate about all this is the politicizing of it. This is not a Democrat or Republican problem... this is an American problem. We have to deal with this TOGETHER.

I was so sick of the media pointing out that Bush was on vacation when the hurricane hit... as if he was just cooking on the BBQ.

Between this disaster and 9/11 I'd say that if any man deserves a vacation it's George W. Bush.

Krispy

2005/9/2 15:11
Compton

Re:

The sad part is that these criminals in New Orleans attract television news anchors that are slobberingly slavish to anything that is sensational.

The thing that touched me today were the pictures of convoys of supply trucks, ambulances, and aid workers that were pouring into the city as fast as the highways can allow. I have friends here that have emptied their meager savings accounts to send money into this area. Let's face it...good behavior is boring. The news would much rather package and market rape and racism...that's their best selling product.

I wonder how many rapes there were in other major cities around the world last night? Without a thousand television cameras I guess we'll never know.

Brothers, when it comes to our televisions, we need better perception, not reception!

MC

2005/9/2 15:18Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Something a lots of folks don't understand in this nation, "George Bush is not God", but I personally believe that right now at this very moment, God is working through our President to help these people.

New Orleans has known for a long time that this would happen and they have made it public knowledge. A survey prior to the storm asked, if there was a mandatory evacuation order issued, would you leave? 1/3 of the population said no. I cry for the children and the elderly and I am not without compassion, but I am becoming hardened and angry at the insistence of these people that it is the governments responsibility to take care of them.

These people ignored a mandatory evacuation order and have been left to fend for themselves. These people really believed that if they did not leave, and it gets bad enough, the government will send in nice air conditioned coaches to transport us to hotels where they will foot the bill until they can rebuild our house (Welfare mentality). They bark about where is the help, but officials new they could not rescue the masses if the city flooded and told them to leave. The poor neighborhoods are ravaged with crack houses, drug dealers, and gangs. The gangs, drug dealers, and thugs have become looters, shooting at rescuers.

I just heard part of an interview with the "Rev. Jackson", and you'll never guess what he said, "The Government doesn't invest enough money into the poor, we have no healthcare, no jobs," and on and on...same old song. Someone please tell Jesse, (and all the other Bush Bashers) George W. Bush can't run for President again...

I wonder why the reporter didn't ask Jesse to speak out to the "brothers" and the lunatics that are slowing down, and in some cases stopping the rescue efforts of their own people?

Jesse, It takes very little brain power to repeat the same old lines for 40 years...and being a Baptist, why did you buy your sons a 14 million dollar Budweiser Distributorship? Thought the Baptists didn't approve of drinking'?

Waiting to hear the same song from Al.....and Louie.....and of course...Quanel.....

I still don't understand WHY DID THEY BUILD A MAJOR CITY BELOW SEA LEVEL on the coast....that still boggles my mind.

I still think politician slinging bull causes global warming. They need to stop this its your fault crap and get with the program. Its called a natural disaster not a republican or democrat disaster.....seems some people are only happy when they can whimper about how its everyone else's fault.

2005/9/2 15:21Profile

another fine example Mr BillPro

this is another fine example of a poster reguritating onto the forum their carnality without first committing the matter to prayer;

you wrote:

Quote:
These people ignored a mandatory evacuation order and have been left to fend for themselves. These people really believed that if they did not leave, and it gets bad enough, the government will send in nice air conditioned coaches to transport us to hotels where they will foot the bill until they can rebuild our house (Welfare mentality).

I will let that comment stand their in full view of its innate depravity and ungodly badmindness.

what if somebody didnt have the gas money or a car to leave?

you're getting angry?

I love this forum because it's showing me the hypocrisy and just fleshly lousiness of those who claim to "belong to God"

Calling the south the "Bible Belt" is a cruel joke, sanctimonious, self-righteousness hiding a hateful ugly heart.

You should repent.

2005/9/2 16:08
MrBillPro

Texas

Re: another fine example Mr BillPro

Quote:

Neilgin1 wrote:
I love this forum because it's showing me the hypocrisy and just fleshly lousiness of those who claim to "belong to God"

When a man he serves the Lord, it makes his life worthwhile.It don't matter about his position, don't matter about his lifestyle.
Talk about perfection, I ain't never seen none
And there ain't no man righteous, no not one.
and your name calling is a perfect example
no man righteous, no not one. By the way they had 3 days to get out looting is in their blood why not call a cab and get out and just not pay? :-(

Calling the south the "Bible Belt" is a cruel joke, sanctimonious, self-righteousness hiding a hateful ugly heart.

So I guess California would be closer to the Bible belt? :-(

2005/9/2 16:24Profile

Re:

Quote:
By the way they had 3 days to get out looting is in their blood why not call a cab and get out and just not pay?

nice repentance Bill.

"looting is in their blood"

who are you refering to Bill?

Half my kin are black and the other half are Jews, I would say I'm a hostile audience to that kind of rhetoric.

2005/9/2 16:29
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

There you go reading to much into what someone says, but I will clarify what I meant for you, there looting there now more than groceries! jewelry,guns,etc. more than the necessities to live
now if someone has that kind of mentality or it's in their blood to do that, my question is why did they not call a cab and just not pay, they would not be stranded and innocent peoples lively hood would not have been robbed blind hope that helps a little.

2005/9/2 16:42Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy