SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Governor: Everyone Must Leave New Orleans

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Governor: Everyone Must Leave New Orleans

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/forum/2004/may/featured_news.gif[/img]

NEW ORLEANS - The governor of Louisiana says everyone needs to leave New Orleans due to flooding from Hurricane Katrina. "We've sent buses in. We will be either loading them by boat, helicopter, anything that is necessary," Gov. Kathleen Blanco said. Army engineers struggled without success to plug New Orleans' breached levees with giant sandbags, and the governor said Wednesday the situation was worsening and there was no choice but to abandon the flooded city.
"The challenge is an engineering nightmare," Gov. Kathleen Blanco said on ABC's "Good Morning America." "The National Guard has been dropping sandbags into it, but it's like dropping it into a black hole."

As the waters continued to rise in New Orleans, four Navy ships raced toward the Gulf Coast with drinking water and other emergency supplies, and Red Cross workers from across the country converged on the devastated region. The Red Cross reported it had about 40,000 people in 200 shelters across the area in one of the biggest urban disasters the nation has ever seen.

2005/8/31 12:02Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re: Governor: Everyone Must Leave New Orleans

This is the first time an entire American city has been evcacuated since the American Civil War.

2005/8/31 12:04Profile
moreofHim

Re: new orleans

As of now they are planning on moving the 23,000 people in the Super Dome to the Houston Dome in Texas. That's a 300 or so mile drive. The buses are lining up to transport them but they must also get the people out of the dome, across the water to the buses. They are also thinking of using boats to transport the people.

At least 80% of New Orleans is under water. The risk for disease is very high and only getting higher. The people who are already sickly or injured are at a very high risk now because they are running low on their medicines and things like insulin. There is no power for things like oxygen that older people need.

The lack of communication is also a concern. People are confused and do not know what is going on and how extensive the damage is.

I do pray that the Lord will comfort those that mourn, those that are suffering. I pray for encouragers and that the Lord's light and love will shine through those who are christians down there.

In Him, Chanin

2005/8/31 13:15Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: Governor: Everyone Must Leave New Orleans

With such a disaster as this, in a city full of such wickedness, do you believe this could be the judgment of God?

2005/8/31 15:45Profile

Re: Governor orders evacuation of New Orleans

Quote:
This is the first time an entire American city has been evcacuated since the American Civil War.

Quote:
As of now they are planning on moving the 23,000 people in the Super Dome to the Houston Dome in Texas. That's a 300 or so mile drive. The buses are lining up to transport them but they must also get the people out of the dome, across the water to the buses. They are also thinking of using boats to transport the people.

When I read this thread originally, I had no idea that those 23,000 included a large number of people who would have left if they could - and the Governor's instruction to evacuate did not include provision for those who could not evacuate themselves.

Is this something you guys understood at the time it was happening, or, are you like me, slightly bewildered that so many were not assisted?

I don't ask with a critical thought in mind, simply trying to take in the cultural difference which may account for my confusion.

2005/9/3 6:43

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy