SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Matthew 25:27 & Luke 19:23

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
_Disciple_

The Netherlands

Matthew 25:27 & Luke 19:23

Hi sermonindexians! (love that word :-P)

[b]Matthew 25:27[/b][i]
"Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury."[/i]

[b]Luke 19:23[/b][i]
"Wherefore then gavest not thou my money into the bank, that at my coming I might have required mine own with usury?"[/i]

here is the question

"what did Jesus mean when He talked about give it to the bank"

I mean we do know what Jesus ment with "well done good and faithful servant"

But what about store that money into the bank, instead of buring it in the ground?

please share your thought, i am curiows about it, because i never heard anything about this.

in His Love

William

2005/8/23 15:31Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Matthew 25:27 & Luke 19:23

William
This is just a quick and general answer. Others may want to flesh out the specifics in your question. Parables really only have one point to make. They are not like allegories where every detail has specific significance. There may well be other truth, incidentally, in a parable but a parable has a 'mission statement'; if only we can identify it.

Luke 18 has a parable about a heartless judge and a persistent widow. The judge eventually relented and gave her justice. Some folks have developed complex theories of prayer from this passage with a reluctant God finally paying us some attention! But the 'mission statement' of this parable is clearly stated right at the beginning "that men ought always to pray and not to faint". That is the real message of this parable; the rest is local colour.

Your Luke 19 parable has a 'mission statement' too. “And as they heard these things, he added and spake a parable, because he was nigh to Jerusalem, and because they thought that the kingdom of God should immediately appear.” (Luke 19:11, KJVS) This is the 'purpose' of the parable; the rest is 'local colour'.

2005/8/26 5:56Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy