SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : More Than Conquerors!

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

More Than Conquerors!

Brothers and sisters,

I believe it would be a wonderful thread if we all shared the things each other have gone through, tactics the devil has used against us and how we overcame through Jesus Christ! Maybe it will encourage someone who is going through the same thing or prepare others for what might come. I'll admit, I'm longing to hear of your victories, and also, I received this idea from a book I was reading by John Bunyan. He recalled the battles he went through and how he overcame... and now he regards them as 'Goliath heads' that he carries around as trophies by which he will always remember and rejoice in Christ.

Well, who would like to post their stories of battle and victory?

[u][i]"Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us."[/i][/u]

2005/8/22 13:43Profile

Re: More Than Conquerors!

Hi Brother Eli,

Yours was the First Post that I signed onto, on this Forum, 'because' of what you wrote in it, "drew me in" (or on) :-)

I respect you for that post & more.

I like your idea and my husband and I LOVE Bunyan.
In fact he was just explaining to me last nite, how Bunyan used the name/title, "Profess-ORS".

It was funny, yet sad at the same time.
Sort of how Paul spoke in Gal 2:6.
Seems they had a similar experience, or sense of humor or source of grief.

Well, your idea for this thread sounds great.
It should bring Glory to a Living God alright !

God Bless.

Annie

2005/8/22 13:54

Quote:
'..tactics the devil has used against us and how we overcame through Jesus Christ! Maybe it will encourage someone who is going through the same thing or prepare others for what might come..'

Choose the one most appropriate strategy to the problem.

You may not want to share with someone else, especially if you see the opportunity to grow in the Lord by going it alone with Him.

On the other hand, sharing may be just what you need to do, to admit defeat, and let God rescue you.

1. Share with someone else, get their perspective, pray together for anything the Lord brings to your attention.

2. If you understand that God is dealing with a stronghold in your life, work [i]with[/i] Him by giving Him permission to do whatever necessary to bring it under His control. I've prayed (many times) that He will [u]undermine[/u] an 'edifice' which is a monument to former days (of sin), so that it will crumble more easily. This works well.

3. Similarly, I've asked Him to back me into a corner, so the only 'way out' remaining, is Him.

4. ALWAYS praise and thank the Lord for difficulties and have an attitude of intending to profit from doing what you know is right.

5. The basic principle here, is to trust your connection with God, regardless of how it feels or is, or is not, operating (as it used to) and [i]depend[/i] on your relationship with Him.

6. Under no circumstances believe any thought that you'll manage without His help. It's a no-brainer.

7. REMEMBER, [u]God is not the author of confusion[/u].

2005/8/22 15:13

Re: More than Conquerors!

Two things have occurred to me since I posted above.

I did not mention the Lord's Name (which some may find strange) but that's because I wasn't thinking about 'how' actually to pray - I was thinking of 'what' to pray. Of course, I pray in the Name of Jesus, and in the Spirit and to the Father. This is THE basic platform from which to overcome in Him.

I would also offer the following which had been posted in ccchhhrrriiisss's thread 'Things I have learned'.

Sing what the Holy Spirit brings to you

Chains fall off during times of worship

Trust that the Lord knows your circumstances in more detail than you do, and thank Him for them

Praise the Lord unreservedly for He is worthy

Praising the Lord shows God and the enemy whose side you're on and nurtures your faith by default; it can break open otherwise impenetrable situations, but, this spiritual effect, derived from the grace of God, is controlled by Him not us. (You have to praise Him [i]anyway[/i].)

Lastly, A great deal of what comes into our minds can be disposed of in various ways, depending on its origin and character, but probably someone else can share about that.

You wouldn't thank me to explain the above in any more detail.

(Believe me! :-P )

2005/8/22 18:54
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

I had to first realize I was still being beaten up by sin, both before conversion and after. I had to take sin head on. I realized that just stopping sin wasn't the key, but replacing it with something else. Jeff Owens said to fill your mind with an abundance of good, and when you randomly pick something out it will be good.

I have had a two cases of girls coming on to me at very odd moments. One time I was talking to my wife about how I overcame lust, and a girl called my cell phone that I didn't know and starting coming on to me.

One thing that helps with all temptation is understanding that God is allowing it. He tries us in order to refine and perfect us for His glory. Every major step in my Christian walk has accompanied great mental or spritual anguish and/or trial. This isn't great news, but it is the truth. Look what happened to Paul.

Just read what Jesus said after being filled with the Holy Ghost and then being tempted by Satan after being led into the wilderness, and know that this is your best defence:

"Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God."

2005/8/23 5:32Profile
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re:

Quote:
One thing that helps with all temptation is understanding that God is allowing it. He tries us in order to refine and perfect us for His glory. Every major step in my Christian walk has accompanied great mental or spritual anguish and/or trial. This isn't great news, but it is the truth. Look what happened to Paul.

This is so true, brother. It seems for me that the more steps I take towards the Lord and His will, the devil is on the doorstep with immediate retribution. This seems to be the way God trains us and builds us up for the next level of our lives.

2005/8/23 8:29Profile
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re:

Also, I believe this thread ties in perfectly with the last featured sermon: [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=367]Soldiers of Christ Arise[/url].

We are definitly in a war, and I like how Tozer put it... that wartime is not a time for comfort and easiness, but a time of difficulty, struggle and challenge. Brothers and sisters, this is how I am feeling right now! I seem to be thrust in a battle of difficulty and struggle! The devil has attacked me with doubt and fear, but I know I will conquer, I will have the victory through Him who loved me and gave Himself up for me!

I don't want this thread to be about me though, let's hear some accounts of victory against our enemy.

2005/8/23 8:34Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy