SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Disrespecting the Word of God

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Disrespecting the Word of God

On another thread I had asked the question about what kind of music is acceptable to God. At some point the discussion dealt with the band [b]STRYPER[/b]. I had actually defended the band and their music since they have recently gotten back together, and their first CD of new songs in 15 years was released this week.

However... they are doing something that really disturbs me. Using the Word of God to market their new CD. Check this out:

This is from their official website...

[i]If you pre-order STRYPER's first studio album in over a decade, "Reborn", the CD will be shipped to you on August 10 (making it possible that you will get yours before it hits the stores on August 16) along with an [b]autographed[/b] STRYPER pocket Bible (the same Bibles the band throw out at concerts, which has never before been offered to the public). Each Bible will be autographed by either Michael Sweet, Robert Sweet, or Oz Fox (The autograph you get will be randomly selected). However, if you order [b]TWO discs[/b] you will receive [b]two Bibles autographed by two DIFFERENT band members[/b]. Order [b]THREE discs and you'll receive three Bibles autographed by each member, giving you one of each[/b]. Be sure to specify whether you want an English or Spanish pocket Bible.[/i]

Now.. I have a real problem with people who autograph Bibles. Actually I have a real problem with autographs period because we are putting a man up on a pedastol where he does not belong.

But to autograph the Word of God?? And then use that as a means of selling more CD's? This seems to be a pretty smart marketing ploy in order to generate more sales so that they will reach the million-seller quicker, and then claim "Reborn" to be a gold record.

This is vey disturbing to me. How about anyone else?

I thought the music was pretty good... not sure why they feel they need gimmicks like these in order to sell it.

We've talked before on here about how corrupt the CCM industry has become since money became the objective, and not ministry. This is perhaps the best example!

And I defended these guys! That wont happen again.

Krispy

2005/8/19 13:37
Kadmiel

Florida, U.S.A.

Re: Disrespecting the Word of God

With all do respect i've never cared for rock gospel. I've always held that it's not only a compromise with the world and i'm sure i stand alone in that i believe its demonic as well.

2005/8/19 13:50Profile
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re:

:-)

2005/8/19 13:55Profile

Krispy, At least you noticed this and it bothered, with just cause.

Before we got saved, some nut in a bar said, "Get drunk and be Somebody".

(Never could figure out the logic behind that one)

But now since we've gotten saved, we say with sadness "the selling of Jesus" as Keith Green used to say, and now we add to their motive for using Christ .... "Get Christ and be Somebody".

You are right. To use Him, His Name, or His Word to promote "oneself" is the greatest sin on earth, if you really think it through.

WHO died on that Cross ~ Who is The Creator ?

So to use "HIM" to make a name for yourself, or make yourself "something" amongst people, is almost way beyond "Taking the Lord's Name in Vain".

Do you think so too ? It seems you do.

Glad you caught that.

Annie

2005/8/19 13:58
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

I cant remeber who said it but God is the most rejected person in this world!! His word a few people around the world read it!! and dont ask the author into their lives!!
If you read a book and disrepected the author would be upsey yet we and I am talking about me dont read it enough, we dont talk to him enough (pray!!!)
I dont anyway,

I can take the bible out of context sometimes without thinking about it knowing that we can and do it is a comfort!! God help us
Dom

2005/8/19 14:17Profile

Re:

Christian rock is not compromise with the world any more than Southern gospel, or whatever it was that they were listening to 100 years ago. It's not the style of music. There is as much pride and "look at me" attitudes in any type of Christian music... worship music, gospel music, etc.

Love of money is the root of all evil. And that root will corrupt anything. It corrupts preachers, mothers, marriages, churches, musicians, etc etc...

Krispy

2005/8/19 14:18
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re: A tree shall be known by its fruit!!

Mt 7:17 - Show Context
Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

Mt 7:18 - Show Context
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

2005/8/19 14:55Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

"We ought to obey God rather than men."

2005/8/19 18:01Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy