SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Cathrine Booth - "What is hatred?"

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
coops

Cathrine Booth - "What is hatred?"

Hey I'm looking for a quote i read by Cathrine Booth, in effect it said that for a Christian, hatred was simply not sharing your faith to a non-believer

does anyone know what i'm talking about?

2005/8/18 4:15Profile

Re: Cathrine Booth - "What is hatred?"

There's some zip files for her here ...

http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/gutbook/lookup?num=7125

But I don't know if that specific quote would be in there.

I could see her saying that though. She was a spit-fire for her times.

Hope you're doing well.
:-D

2005/8/18 6:36

Re:

"Many do not recognize the fact as they ought, that Satan has got men fast asleep in sin and that it is his great device to keep them so. He does not care what we do if he can do that. We may sing songs about the sweet by and by, preach sermons and say prayers until doomsday, and he will never concern himself about us, if we don't wake anybody up. But if we awake the sleeping sinner he will gnash on us with his teeth. This is our work - to wake people up." - Catherine Booth

http://www.watchword.org/fire_from_the_altar_of_prayer.htm

Close - but not a perfect match. :-(

Good web page though.

2005/8/18 6:55
Nellie

Re: What is hatred

This is a great quote by Catherine Booth.
Thanks Annie.
Have a wonderful day, in our Lord, ALL.
In His Service
Nellie :-)

2005/8/18 15:33Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

I can't source the Catherine Booth quotation, although she is a great favourite of mine. Love and hate are not quite such opposites in the scripture as we regard them in ordinary life. Did you ever notice this little sequence...?
“And he went in also unto Rachel, and [u]he loved also Rachel more than Leah[/u], and served with him yet seven other years. And [u]when the LORD saw that Leah was hated[/u], he opened her womb: but Rachel was barren.” (Gen. 29:30-31, KJVS)
The NKJV offers a solution...“Then Jacob also went in to Rachel, and [u]he also loved Rachel more than Leah[/u]. And he served with Laban still another seven years.
When [u]the LORD saw that Leah was unloved[/u], He opened her womb; but Rachel was barren.”(Gen. 29:30-31, NKJV) Adam Clarke comments on this verseThe Lord saw that Leah was hated] From this and the preceding verse we get the genuine meaning of the word "sane", to hate, in certain disputed places in the Scriptures. The word simply signifies a less degree of love; so it is said, Ge 29:30: "Jacob loved Rachel more than Leah," i.e., he loved Leah less than Rachel; and this is called hating in Ge 29:31: It is an interesting insight perhaps into the 'absolutes' of God when to 'love less' can signify 'hate'.

Applying this to this thread, could we say that if I regard my personal comfort or choices more than the eternal welfare of the unconverted, and so 'love them less', it would be 'biblical' to say that we 'hated' them? What do you think?

2005/8/18 16:35Profile
coops

Re:

Thanks guys! Grannie, I had a search through but couldn't find the one I was after, but the one you pulled out was pretty good... It looks like that quote is going to escape us but that, and what philologos pulled out look great. Now to decide what... :-)

2005/8/18 18:02Profile

Re:

Hey coops, Actually you helped me, cuz doing the search for that I had found that link above that I found pretty good too. The homepage for it is
http://www.watchword.org/index.html .

Never saw that one before. Thanks coops ;-)

His Blessings.

Annie

2005/8/18 18:32

Re:

Coops brother,

I foolishly did not check SI first ~ duh !

Under articles - then under 'A' through (?) at the bottom of the Articles page, you'll find a bit from Catherine Booth.

Sorry, I'm still learning my way around and getting acquainted as fast as this slow brain will go. :-( :-D

2005/8/21 22:51

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy