SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Sanhedrin

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Sanhedrin

Is is true that the members of the Sanhedrin had to be married? I heard something that they had to be to be able to rule over certain things....Does anyone know?

2005/8/17 17:33Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Sanhedrin

My understanding is that members of the [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanhedrin]Sanhedrin[/url] were required both to be married and to have children, but I can't document this at present.

I found this quotationAccording to a secondary source, a standard work on the
Sanhedrin by Selden (De Synedriis et Praefecturis Jurid.
Vet. Hebr.) states that one had to be married and the
father of children to be a member of the Sanhedrin, or in
any case, to be qualified to pronounce sentence on capital
crimes.
I do not know Selden's source, but his qualification of
the general rule indicates that it was not a universal
requirement.[url=http://www.oldpaths.org/Library/Comments/BC/gal-01b.html]here.[/url]

2005/8/18 2:30Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Was Paul part of the Sanhedrin?

EDIT: Maybe I should read the link that you provided first... :-)

2005/8/18 14:31Profile
filhodedeus

Brasil

Re:

Philo,

I have an interesting question about the Sanhedrin. I am somewhat new to the site and i noticed that you have made a couple of posts here and there.

I read a story earlier this year about some Jewish priests reforming the Sanhedrin and naming a man that was supposedly proven to be the direct lineage of David, just through the males. They want to reestablish the throne in Israel with this man as king. I was reading in the Word where it talks about measuring the temple but not the outer court because it would be trampled by Gentiles.

I find this to be interesting. The Dome of the Rock is a Muslim holy place. The original foundation of the Temple, minus the outer courts would almost touch the outside of the Dome of the Rock, as if the Gentiles could be the Muslims.

I found this to, oddly enough, be printed in an Israeli secular newspaper. Unfortunately I don't remember the name. I think the article was published in Jan. or Feb.

I am interested to hear if you have any knowledge, thoughts, or insight on this subject. I thought this would be the most appropriate thread to post this question.

Blessings in our loving Lord Jesus

2005/8/18 15:05Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Was Paul part of the Sanhedrin?

Paul is not specifically said to be part of the Sanhedrin. Some have thought he was, probably on the strength of “This I also did in Jerusalem, and many of the saints I shut up in prison, having received authority from the chief priests; and when they were put to death, I cast my vote against them.” (Acts 26:10, NKJV) The KJV's 'voice' here is actually a 'pebble' and most likely the means by which verdicts were shown.

I guess you are thinking about whether or not Paul was married? I don't think we can conclude this by speculating whether or not he was a member of the Sandhedrin, but the testimony “And I advanced in Judaism beyond many of my contemporaries in my own nation, being more exceedingly zealous for the traditions of my fathers.” (Gal. 1:14, NKJV) makes it very likely that he was regarded as a Rabbi particularly with his training under Gamaliel. Most rabbis would have been married.

2005/8/18 16:10Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
I am interested to hear if you have any knowledge, thoughts, or insight on this subject. I thought this would be the most appropriate thread to post this question.

this quotation is from the Sanhedrin link in the earlier post.The Jewish anticipation for the arrival of the Messiah includes the reconstitution of this body of sages. Maimonides and other medieval commentators suggested that, although the line of Semicha from Moses had been broken at the dissolution of the Sanhedrin, if the sages of the Land of Israel united in promoting a single candidate as Nasi (leader), that individual would have Semicha, and could then grant it to others — thus re-establishing the Sanhedrin.

Operating under these principles, a group of rabbis claiming to represent varied communities in Israel, purported to re-establish the Sanhedrin, in October, 2004 (Tishrei 5765). The ceremony took place in Tiberias, where the original Sanhedrin was disbanded. Although the new Sanhedrin selected well-known Jewish author Adin Steinsaltz as its Nasi, the authority of this body is not recognized by the Israeli government nor by the vast majority of Jews, regardless of their level of observance. Even in the Haredi world, most people do not accept the authority of this "reinstated Sanhedrin."

Refueling passions, this attempt at reconstitution of the Sanhedrin of old has prompted some evangelical Christians, among them Hal Lindsey, to assert that the "new" Sanhedrin does inherit a rightful legacy from the original Sanhedrin. The Christian historical account (above) is taken as fact. From this, they posit that this group is responsible for the death of Jesus, and declare that the end times are near.

Though the majority of the membership of the 71-member "new" Sanhedrin remain anonymous, three out of seven members who have been selected to represent the body are leaders of the Temple Mount Movement, an array of radical groups who advocate demolishing the Al-Aqsa Mosque to make way for a Third Temple in Jerusalem. Further, the "new" Sanhedrin has confirmed its place within the Temple Mount Movement by announcing its intention to take steps toward the rebuilding of the Temple. Subscribers to the Temple Mount Movement believe that, by rebuilding of the Temple, they can usher in a Messianic Era of eternal peace.

2005/8/18 16:12Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy