SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Which version of the Bible is closest to exact translation?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:
In addition, if you would like to read a good book on the history of bible translation, check out "The Bible in Translation" by Bruce M. Metzger.

I would caution people to be careful about depending on Bruce Metzger as a source in learning about Bible translations. He is a theological liberal who believes most of the Old Testament is mythical, leans heavily in the direction of evolution, and in his auto-biography there is one thing that is never mentioned: he nevers mentions being saved. Yet he is the main person people run to when they want to learn about Bible versions. Seems to me that a reliable Bible scholar would mention [i]something[/i]... [i][b]anything[/b][/i]... about his salvation experience!

Krispy

2005/8/11 6:39

Re:

Quote:
From what I understand, however, the KJV is not the best translation to read, if not for any reason than this: it is written in another language. We speak modern English whose form has so deviated from original English that if you do not know Old English as a language, you will misinterpret the text.

Ummm... my kids read the KJV. I havent seen where they have misinterpretted any more than they would if they were reading the NIV. Harvard University did a study a couple years ago which showed that the KJV was written on a 9th grade reading level. This whole "The KJV is too hard to understand" is a myth which has been propogated by the publishing companies in order to sell more modern versions. Dont believe me? Wait until the next modern version comes out (a new one comes out about 6 months) and read the advertising.

Quote:
The next reason is that over 80% of the King James Translation comes from one translator, Tyndale

I have a Tyndale Bible. I've read a lot about Tyndale, and he's a hero of mine. I would take Tyndale's work over any translator alive today. And yes, 80% of the KJV is based on his translation. What's your point?

Krispy

2005/8/11 6:48
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
University did a study a couple years ago which showed that the KJV was written on a 9th grade reading level.

“Verily, verily, I say unto thee, When thou wast young, thou girdedst thyself, and walkedst whither thou wouldest: but when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and carry thee whither thou wouldest not.”
(John 21:18, KJVS)

Krispy, you know I love and use the KJV but most folk I know would struggle with the above, especially if they have false teeth. ;-)

2005/8/11 8:37Profile
Nasher

Watford, UK

Re:

Quote:
especially if they have false teeth.

Ha ha ha, I like it. :lol:

2005/8/11 8:43Profile

Re:

Quote:
especially if they have false teeth.

Then let them read silently... :-P

Krispy

2005/8/11 8:47
Joshua99

Austin Tx.

Re:

I Have been using primarily the New American standard version, for 25 years. The KJV is always within reach to double check all research in study. As I have understood it, the New American standard version, is a literal translation from the greek to english- word for word. I have always felt safe using this bible along with the KJV and sometimes the NIV. :-)

2005/8/11 8:57Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re: How about translations in other languages other than english!!

What is the most accurate bible say in chinese or turkish or russian i am just interested

Dom

2005/8/11 10:04Profile

Re:

Quote:
I Have been using primarily the New American standard version, for 25 years. The KJV is always within reach to double check all research in study. As I have understood it, the New American standard version, is a literal translation from the greek to english- word for word. I have always felt safe using this bible along with the KJV and sometimes the NIV.

The NASB is a literal translation, yes... but of a different stream of Greek text. A Greek text that is considered by some (myself included) to be very corrupted. It's not translating the same text as the KJV. So you're half right.

Krispy

2005/8/11 10:14
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

I feel if God has a message for you he can minister to you through a comic book, unless you limit him and put him in a box, as for as which Bible version the one that "you" personally understand the best, because no one I don't think is using the original inspired word that Paul and others wrote if so please send me a copy. Every version today is a translated version even KJ version, I personally use the NASB and I love it, I think the best way to teach anyone is out of a book they can understand, I know you have you hard core KJ folks I know of a few myself nothing wrong with that but me personally I just can't understand it very well, maybe that's because I am an old Country boy and lack the big city know how. :-P

2005/8/11 10:45Profile

Re:

Quote:
no one I don't think is using the original inspired word that Paul and others wrote if so please send me a copy

Bill... my friend, do you think God is capable of keeping His promise to preserve His Word unto every generation? Or is this one area that He failed in?

Krispy

2005/8/11 11:13

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy