SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Movies Today

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread

The Apostle

figured very heavily in my subsequent salvation. very very much so. The actor at the end your referencing is Walter Coggins, who according to Duval recommitted his life to Christ that night.

and it's so so evident if you really watch that scene, the brother was undergoing some intense Holy Ghost conviction.

I wrote a letter to Mr. Duval thanking him for making that film and testifying to him about my salvation.....

Five stars.

2005/8/30 22:02

for my bro Krispy

Beloved Steve, I was just listening to a comp that the Lord gave me over at www.fireonthealtar.com called "Passion" . It was (kinda) my answer to the movie, the Passion of the Christ.

look under the "3/10/2005" offerings and you will see it "Passion" with another comp of mine "Hosanna". I was listening and I thought of you, because of your objections to the stations. Just now I was very happy the Lord gave me that comp...it made me weep so sweet when I thought of what our dear Lord Jesus went thru for us. Oh bless His Name!!

so listen to it, and my prayer is that it bless you. I asked our beloved sister Dorcas to have a listen to.

Know what? I'm gonna pray to God to give me a couple of new comps....I love to make those!! cheaper than making movies!! lol

God bless you my brother!!

Go Angels! both heavenly and Anaheim.

2005/8/30 22:07

Another favorite: Lord of the Rings

to me, is one of the most Godly movies made, without an OVERT Gospel message....me and my boy love this film and it makes our hearts leap....any other opinions?

2005/8/30 22:15
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re: Another favorite: Lord of the Rings

Thanx for the info about "The Apostle," guys. Now I want to watch it again.

Neil,

I will say with you that I am glad that a movie like the "Passion" is being made rather than others...

"What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice."

I was just answering posts concerning the doctrine of the movie. Mel most likely did it with the best intentions, but honestly this must be asked:

Is Mel headed to the same place that all those saints killed by the Roman Church are? That is harsh, but it is the truth. I know that kind of talk is not acceptable to many, but what is acceptable to Him?

Someone could be saved by the movie, but the film is not guiding them into ALL truth. I just like truth. Satan has mixed truth with lie from the Genesis 3. I just want people to know the truth.

How about this? What do you think Ravenhill would say about the film? The man who this site basically got started on. I have heard little of Brother Len, but enough to know what he would have said about the "Passion."

2005/8/31 0:35Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Passionate about criticizing the Passion...

Hi letsgetbusy...!

I find it odd that some people on this website criticize [i]The Passion of the Christ[/i] so tenaciously, yet they are willing to watch (and sometimes personally endorse) [i]Veggie Tales[/i] or movies like [i]The Apostle[/i] or even [i]The Lord of the Rings[/i] trilogy.

I am not going to comment on whether or not someone [i]should[/i] or [i]should not[/i] watch movies, television, etc... Such an issue could be (and probably has been) discussed in another thread. And I am definitely [u]not[/u] going to judge those that do (or those that do not).

However, it just seems so strange to attack a film that had an underlying message of introducing the sacrifice of Christ to the world (even with a few subtle "catholic" references). The film was seen by tens of millions in a short period of time, and ended ranked in the top 10 films of all times. The depiction of the crucifixion in this film is probably much more medically accurate than any other film in history. I attended a screening at a large, sold-out theatre, and there were loud sobs heard throughout the film. Yet the film is criticized often because of some apparent "catholic" references, as well as some artistic discretion. Yet some of these same believers boast about watching [i]The Lord of the Rings[/i], a film filled with sorcery and witchcraft -- and with a story that Tolkien himself (a very devout Catholic) repeatedly insisted was [u]not[/u] a Christian allegory.

I believe that it is good (and quite appropriate) to point out the discrepencies between the film and the Word of God (you could tell people that the "book is much better!"). But it is disheartening to see believers spend so much time and effort criticizing a film that is much more "[i]scriptural[/i]" than films like [i]The Apostle[/i], [i]Lord of the Rings[/i], etc...

As a side note, I do know that Leonard Ravenhill [u]did[/u] have a television in his house. Of course, I imagine that he was quite selective on what he watched.

:-)

2005/8/31 1:15Profile
Compton

Re: Passionate about criticizing the Passion...

The Passion of the Christ isn't the only bible movie out there with quality production! ;-)

Christian based movies can only withstand so much rigorous scutiny. Afterall they are intended to be only a couple hours of dramatic art. Still there are plenty of quality bible efforts out there that I wouldn't hesitate recommending. While these movies aren't always perfect bible they do show respect for the major themes in an edifying way.

Two films that I enjoy watching from time to time are Jesus of Nazareth (The made for television masterpiece) and the newer "Gospel According to John".

If you guys haven't seen the latter, I really reccommend it. Obviously any film portraying the Lord is latent with controversy...The Lord means to much to any one of us for a single artist to claim the definitive potrait. Each film made is woefully short...but perhaps complimenting one another. Just like paintings of Christ continue to speak to us through the centuries without obscuring scripture. I am glad that quality films with a respect for the bible are continuing to be made. The Gospel According to John is one of those films.

Also to be recommended for a home collection are the Turner Bible series. While they have compressed some scripture events for the sake of movie pacing...the quality is really up there. The series includes Abraham, Jacob, Joseph (my favorite), Samason, David, Solomon, Jeremiah,(My other favorite)and Esther.

MC

2005/8/31 1:42Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re: Passionate about criticizing the Passion...

chris,

I respect your opinion. I hope I can say this to make my point clearer instead of stirring up trouble among us.

You brought up TV, but TV wasn't my point. I don't think that people who watch TV are evil. Honestly, I am just bored by it. There's just nothing there. I have also heard Ravenhill describe the baby giraffe being born on TV, so I know he had one. My point was that Ravenhill said we should have no graven image of God. He refused to have pictures of Christ around, because they paint a picture that is not accurate. If you disagree, so be it. We should all be fully convinced in our own mind.

I am sorry that some take my comments on the Passion as rude, maybe I am missing something. I'm not into Lord of the Rings, and the Apostle was a movie devoid of sex, murder, and lewdness, and ended up with a young man getting saved.

The reason I can't swallow the Passion is that it intentionally mixes in untrue events with the truth.

My goal is not to judge those who watch whatever, I am stating my opinion on the film. I am willing to put everything I do through God's siphon, and ask Him if it is acceptable. I had to do this with XBox Live, as it got to the point that I would spend hours day and night playing video games, and ended up losing out on devotional time to Him. So I'm not judging anyone, I am just willing to examine the film, the way that I examine myself. To the uttermost detail.

2005/8/31 7:30Profile
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re:

I took the advice of Tears_of_joy and went out and got the movie [b]Sheffey[/b]. It is an absolutely wonderful movie and it goes right along with the vision of Sermonindex, Greg, you would love it. If you're interested in vintage preachers, old-time revivals, all in a wholesome film that lifts up the Lord Jesus Christ, get this movie.

Blessings,
-Eli

2005/8/31 9:53Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi letsgetbusy...!

I apologize if my remarks seemed pointed directly at you. That wasn't my intent, and I apologize if it seemed that way. I definitely do not hold any monopoly on the Truth concerning television and movies (or music, etc...). It's just that I have seen quite a few sanctimonious remarks by fellow believers on this, and a wide array of topics.

Over the last year and a half, there have been quite a few critical remarks about [i]The Passion[/i], with very little justification for such remarks (other than the obvious catholic references). Yet many of those who have made such remarks have almost endorsed other movies, songs or books that are much more questionable in nature. A couple of believers endorsed the film, [i]Jesus of Nazareth[/i] and [i]King of Kings[/i], which took much more artistic discretion in the creation of the film (thus, more inaccuracies). Critical analysis of any "Biblical" film should always be applauded -- including pointing out the inaccurate parts of the film.

You mentioned that Brother Ravenhill said "we should have no graven image of God." I do happen to disagree (so be it).
I believe that the reference in Exodus 20:4-6 concerns the [i]creation of idols[/i]. Other versions phrase it in this way, and many KJV Bible dictionaries reference it as such. Otherwise, if all images of "[i]heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath[/i]" are forbidden, then the Ark of the Covenant could not have been built with depictions of angels.

It is my personal belief (mine, not the Lord) that such a film offers a much more "accurate" picture of Christ's suffering. I speak about the crucifixion, not the person who portrayed Christ. Yes, there are some inaccurate Catholic references in the film -- and these should be pointed out. But the overall effect (and hatred for the film by the media) is because of the depiction of our Saviour's torture and suffering. That is what brought many people to tears. It depicts the event in such a way that causes a realization of Christ's incredible gift to many unsaved and "unchurched" people.

I know of two guys at my University who gave their hearts to the Lord shortly after having watched the film. One of them, a coach on our football team, said that he could not sleep for two weeks after having watched the film (because he kept dreaming about the crucifixion). I gave him a Bible, and he asked me to pray with him several times. This experience opened the door for me to explain the truth of the matter. This coach recently transferred (just before the summer), but he now faithfully attends Church and is wholeheartedly seeking the Lord.

As a teen, I would often go and testify at the malls, shopping centers, and even on the streets at night in my hometown. One Friday night, I had a friend who asked if he could join me on the streets. We preached, passed out Bibles, and had a great time telling people about the Lord. I did most of the speaking, but he would also share. Just before we left, we began talking with a particular woman. This woman told us that she was also a Christian, and that she was glad that "you're doing what you're doing." My friend was skeptical about her claim of knowing Christ. While she was speaking, she told us that she was beginning to think about the things of God, and liked watching a particular preacher on television. My friend immediately jumped in, "You mean you have a TV -- and watch so-and-so on television??? You're not a christian, lady!" I couldn't believe it! This lady immediately closed to what we were saying and became angry. She asked us to leave, which we did. As we were leaving, my friend stated, "Well, I knew we were going to be persecuted for the sake of righteousness!"

That is the attitude that many Christians display. They sometimes seem to "strain a gnat and swallow a camel." The funny thing was that my friend was quite addicted to certain video games at the time. When we returned to his house, he immediately began playing this particular game that is filled with blood and violence. Oddly, my friend was willing to tell a woman that she was not a "real" christian because she currently listened to a certain preacher, yet he went home to do what some believers might think was worse.

Anyway, I have probably said [i]too much[/i]. I do believe that we should be patient with those who have differing opinions. All too often, there are believers that participate on this website who boldy and obstinately share what [i]they believe[/i] to be truth. Any person that disagrees with them is sometimes viewed as an "immature believer" or just plain [i]wrong[/i]. The range of topics by which we can disagree (from music -- to eternal security -- to Bible versions) is about as vast as nearly every topic on this board. Everything that we say should be spoken with patience and love, knowing that we will be judged for all of our words.

On a side note, I have spoken with many believers who came out of a Catholic background. I have asked many of them when they became believers. Often, many of them say they came to the Lord [i]while still attending[/i] the Catholic Church. But as they continued to seek and grow in the Lord, they realized the fallacy of the Church, and left. Perhaps that could happen with Mel Gibson. Perhaps he is quite sincere, but just misinformed. It is possible that he too will one day abandon the practices of the Catholic Church as well.

2005/8/31 11:52Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re:

chris,

Excellent post.

2005/9/1 8:34Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy