SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Obese Christians?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
Compton

Re:Food and economics

Quote:
Are they looking to food or exercise to replace a God-shaped hole in their heart?

I don't know why but I suddenly have a craving for donuts! :-P

Seriously, the distinction between gluttony and obesity is a keen one. Still, it is unmistakable the positive effect of simply eating better grade food.

A friend of mine is convinced that the challenge of eating healthy is greater for people in poverty. He makes the case that it costs more money to eat healthy...cheaper food contains fat, sugars, and carbs. Poorer people can sometimes be heavier because they have less time and money to take care of themselves.

While I'm not asking if anyone agrees completely...does anyone here have any sympathy for this idea?

Just asking,

MC

2005/8/7 2:50Profile

Re: Donuts (o: }

How'd I wind up back here ?

Anyhow, I liked so much what Chris had said, especially about the "tears of a Pastor".

If there's no "weeping before the whipping", or however Chris put it, then they are not a Shepherd, but just a Puffed-up hireling.

Compton, you've got a great point, since you asked... :-)

When I met my husband, his Mom raised he and his siblings on junk food. She still lives on it.

I've got him on cereal or whatever for breakfast, all fruit for lunch, and tons of it, then a healthy dinner, with not as much of the meat that he used to consume (as in a 1 LB steak per sitting :).

Now, when he's at work with the guys, he sees what they eat "on the run", and he grieves inside for them.
Most working people, 'are' on the run, and you are very right, that 'eating right' can get expensive ... but it can be weighed out in other ways ... but I think the 'time' factor for most part is a real issue.

I worry more about people's health than their size.

But, sometimes it also goes to the issue of depression with some people. They feel alone, not good enough for anybody, etc. etc. etc., and maybe if we just "fill that hole" that was brought up, and look deeper inside these folks, maybe we'd find out "WHY" they may be overweight, rather than painting them all with such a wide brush.

People are Hurting inside, and each tends to that hurt, in different ways.

It takes 'time' for God to come in and heal us from the inside out. Then we can feel worthy enough to "take care of ourselves".

In America, we're told we 'have to' eat 3 times a day, plus snacks.
Missionaries can go on one meal a day.

I'll take that donut now MC :-D

2005/8/7 3:23
CHRISTian722

TAMUK

Re:

Quote:
A friend of mine is convinced that the challenge of eating healthy is greater for people in poverty. He makes the case that it costs more money to eat healthy...cheaper food contains fat, sugars, and carbs. Poorer people can sometimes be heavier because they have less time and money to take care of themselves.

this is partially true but only becas modern society makes it much easier for us to be less active. If u are poor (as i was growing up) you may not have money to eat the commericalized stuff..but u can afford to eat healthy for the most part..um..also..u tend to eat less....

But nowadays people are much MUCH less active than in times past. It is much easier to remain obese nowadays and it is not neccesarily anyone's fault...it is hard to walk places with the traffic and such..unless u live in NY ..lol

2005/8/7 3:36Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
If there's no "weeping before the whipping", or however Chris put it, then they are not a Shepherd, but just a Puffed-up hireling....People are Hurting inside, and each tends to that hurt, in different ways.

This comment reminded me of a little episode with the friend I was talking about. One Sunday were at church in a prayer circle before worship when someone asked where a certain missing musician was. Because this absent fellow was quite overwieght, a few of the guys made some callous jokes about him probably being at McDonalds. At this point, my friend rebuked the whole lot of us. Having to fight to keep his own wieght off, he said with tears in his own eyes, "How touching that you are concerned about his wieght! Which one of you will be a brother and encourage him to lose wieght? Which one of you will get up early with him to help him stick to an exercise program?" He walked off the stage and left everyone feeling rightfully ashamed of their insensitivity.
Quote:
I'll take that donut now MC

This reminds me of a childrens song by the "Donut Man." "Life without Jesus is like a donut." Knowing my kids, they would ask what kind...jelly or custard?

2005/8/7 4:01Profile
Compton

Re:

CHRISTian722,

As a nutritionist I thought you might find this Interesting.

A friend from Hong Kong once complained to me about the invasion of American fast food in Asia. He told me that for the first time in thousands of years, obesity in China, especially among the youth, is on the rise.

We discussed this at one of his favorite resturaunts over there...KFC.

MC

2005/8/7 4:05Profile
CHRISTian722

TAMUK

Re:

lol!..yes!! becas the food has so much more calories here due to frying and additives and preservatives and all that jazz.

Many foreigners say they gain weight when they come here even tho they eat the same portions. They are only able to lose the weight when they return to their native diets..lol..the Anerican diet- Fast Food!! :))

2005/8/7 4:13Profile
Compton

Re: Supersize Me

Quote:
Many foreigners say they gain weight when they come here even tho they eat the same portions.

Has anyone here seen the documentary on McDonalds called "Supersize Me?" The filmaker decided to live on nothing but three Mcdonald's meals a day for 30 days while being monitored by a small team of health experts...and record the whole thing on film. The film claims that the food is chemically addicting and that it took 6 months to lose the the weight gained during the "experiment."

2005/8/7 5:59Profile

Re:

I read the original post, but have not read thru all the responses... but here is my take on obese believers.

Barring any medical conditions that cause people to be overweight (i.e. out of their control) being over weight is generally cause by one thing: gluttony. And the root sin of gluttony is: selfishness.

[b]I[/b] want that donut. [b]I[/b] want [b]my[/b] fries supersized. [b]I[/b] hate working out.

Eating can also be an addiction. Many many people eat to escape. We feel some sort of emotional pain... what soothes it? Ben & Jerry's ice cream. This is called [i]idolatry[/i].

Now, having said this, we can not go around and look at people who struggle with weight and judge them. Why? Well, first off... how do you know they dont have a thyroid condition? And if they dont have one, we still should not sit in judgement on them if we see them getting in line for the 3rd time at the buffet because YOU may not have a problem controlling you eating... but you may have a problem controlling your TV. You may have a problem controlling your temper when you're driving. Etc.

We certainly can approach someone we know who has a problem controlling their eating... doing so in love, and offering to help them over come it. I'm sure a lot of guilt goes along with this particular problem. Especially if someone has lost weight, and then put it back on plus another 10.

Of all the issues in the church, this is probably one of the most wide spread problems... and the hardest to address without offending. God be with any pastor who attempts to deal with it in his fellowship.

Krispy

2005/8/7 6:36

Re: Is obesity a sin?

Quote:

There is plenty of research in the UK confirming the truth of your friend's theory. This is compounded by the cost of joining a gym, sports or leisure club, which is WAY beyond the pocket even of a non-smoking, non-drinking, honest Benefit claimant.

My experience of controlling my weight rests entirely on DECIDING to control my weight. After that, no problem. For anyone on drugs or hormones or a low income, they have their back to the wall unless they are also educated, motivated and have enough time to overcome these extra difficulties. I agree with previous posts which have outlined the many reasons not everyone who is obese, can be accused of 'sin'.

Just a word about nursing mothers... not only do women naturally carry a higher %fat than men, but successful nursing may depend on carrying extra weight too - although this is not a 'rule', as some people lose weight faster, because of nursing!

2005/8/7 7:42
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

I recall trying to help a Christian family who were struggling with the fact that their unmarried teenage daughter had become pregnant. It is very important to separate causes from effects in bringing a word from God to such settings. So I tried to spell it out like this;

It is not sin to be having a child when you are unmarried. It is a natural consequence of something earlier. The sin was the relationship outside marriage; the pregnancy was the consequence. The shame is human shame, not conviction. God convicts of the sin; men judge the consequences.

Obesity is not sin. The the cause of the obesity which probably took place in secret with no one to observe may well have been sin. Gluttony is a sin, but then gluttony is not the only cause of obesity. Men are very proficient at judging consequences; only the Spirit of God can convict the heart.

2005/8/7 8:27Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy