SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What happens at death?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: startrek and the timelines

Our conversations on this thread had mentioned the different perspectives of time and eternity and of the odd things that happen when eternity touches time in the scriptures.

I saw some snippets of a StarTrek, Next Generation, episode on UK TV the other day. It featured Picard, Guinan, Mark Twain and complicated time travel. I missed most of the plot but apparently Picard had gone back in time to have his first meeting with Guinan who he had just left on the enterprise. Are you following so far? :-D

Picard is about to return to his own time in the 24th century and to leave behind the original Guinan in the 19th. I don't think I would have taken much more notice if we hadn't had this discussion here in the forum but the farewell scene goes something like this.

Picard, about to return to the 24th century, speaks to Guinan who is staying in the 19th Century. Picard knows he will meet the other Guinan shortly on the Enterprise. The dialogue went something like this.

Guinan "I'll see you in about 500 years"
Picard "I'll see you in about 5 minutes"

Of course, its just a silly piece of SciFi but just occasionally you hear something that makes you think.

2003/11/3 18:48Profile
almondBranch

Tralee, Ireland

Re:

Quote:
Of course, its just a silly piece of SciFi but just occasionally you hear something that makes you think.

Do you remember "the lion the witch and the wardrobe"? after years in narnia no time had passed in England. Again fiction, but its not so far fetched as we may first assume, its known now that at very high speeds time passes more slowly than it does at our speed, hard to fathom isn't it?

Once again I'll say that one of the things I wish to highlight is the prominence given to ressurection in the New Testament, which of course can't be seperated from the One who is the Ressurection. our journey out of death begins long before the event known as the ressurection. But yet I do believe there is an event called the ressurection of the dead and I do believe it is more than just the ressurection of the dead bodies.

By the way, Ron, I have just listened to your talk on repentance from Rora 2003, it was excellent, thanks. You mentioned that up 50% of the what evangelicals say is tradition passed on from generation to generation and from preacher to preacher (I am paraphrasing a bit). I quite agree, and even when we are quoting scripture directly it can still be difficult because we read our tradition into the verse we are quoting but never think about it because "it's scriptural" For example when we read "to the church in Corinth" what do we think? probably conjours up different images and ideas to different people depending on where you are coming from. Anyway, i digress...
Stuart.

2003/11/3 20:15Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
its known now that at very high speeds time passes more slowly than it does at our speed, hard to fathom isn't it?

On the lighter side, did you hear of the man who thought that the theory of relativity implied that time actually goes more slowly when you are with your relatives! :-D

2003/11/4 4:36Profile
Nasher

Watford, UK

Re:

Quote:
This is largely children remembering things from previous lives in other cultures and then proving that the remembered details are accurate. Kids could not just make these stories up.

Jake, I have a three questions for you:

1. How long have demons been on the earth?

2. How far have they travelled?

3. Can a demon enter a man / boy?

2003/11/4 6:04Profile
Nasher

Watford, UK

Re:

Hi Philologos, I saw that episode as well (I am a bit of a 'trekie') and you reminded me of an answer that an elder at my church (Brian Evans) gave to the question "who made God?", he replied "how can someone who has been around for eternity have been created?" :-o

2003/11/4 11:24Profile

Re:

Demons? You mean the ones who make kids heads twist around in a complete circle without coming off? Or the ones that cause diseases? Yeh, right. I think we burned them all at the stake.

2003/11/4 14:29
Nasher

Watford, UK

Re:

I mean like the two thousand Jesus cast out of the demon-possessed man into the swine.

2003/11/5 4:37Profile

Re:

In the days of Jesus people believed that diseases like epilepsy were caused by demons. The example you cite should be seen in this historical light. Jesus cured the man of epilepsy or a similar neurological disease.

2003/11/6 13:38
Nasher

Watford, UK

Re:

Whatever 'people' thought in the days of Jesus doesn't matter, what matters is that Jesus told the demons to "go" and they did.

Jesus corrected people's wrong beliefs such as when they asked him:

"Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?"

to which He answered:

"Neither this man nor his parents sinned, but that the works of God should be revealed in him."

2003/11/7 5:09Profile
almondBranch

Tralee, Ireland

Re:

Quote:
In the days of Jesus people believed that diseases like epilepsy were caused by demons. The example you cite should be seen in this historical light. Jesus cured the man of epilepsy or a similar neurological disease

What then are we to make of the demons who were cast out of a man and went into a herd of swine?

2003/11/7 6:02Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy