SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Open-Service Transition

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Open-Service Transition

I was wondering if anybody out there might have advice on how an established Church of about 60 years, with it's well engrained traditions and order of service, might transition from that old way of doing service to a more open format (and we have members that have been there 30-50 years). My church is currently in the process of doing this. We are trying to be very sensitive about this matter. We realize that if we showed up to a service and just said, "have at it," a total disaster would probably occur. I am working with some of the elders to try and bring this vision that I believe God has birthed in us to pass, and we've had countless hours of discussion, as well as much prayer. Suggestions highly encouraged.

2005/8/3 6:51Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re: Open-Service Transition

Our church, if I remember correctly, is about 125 years old. I am not sure how our church organized it, but we just have seperate services. Traditional, praise, and now there is going to be a blended. The way ours turned out was surprising to me. I like the songs of the traditional service much more (Methodist Hymn Book), but the preaching is much better in the praise service.

I think the way we have been going is: if a minister is preaching, they stay in that service for its entirety, and if there are two services at the same time, the message covers the same Scripture or topic.

I thought going to the praise service would be a big deal, but it wasn't. We're all for the same Saviour.

2005/8/3 7:27Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

letsgetbusy,

I didn't have in mind the traditional style music vs more contemporary music. The only thing that is changing in such a scenario is the music... not the entire order of the worship service. When I mean open service, I mean a service where everybody, through the leading of the Spirit, is allowed to participate.

GOd bless

2005/8/3 11:33Profile

Re: KJ

Beloved, read the biography of George Fox. He broke the mold in his day, you can too. If you have any trouble finding his bio, go to www.quaker.org. You'll find it there. Please keep me abreast of your progress. I am keenly interested in this. I do believe God is too. If this is God, yeild to Him. Seek to serve, worship, and please only Him.
This is kind of hard on pastors. They may think their value will deminish. But it does not have to be that way. It will actually free them from alot of responsibility that they should not be answering for anyway.
There was a man in India who was given a New Testament. He read it, believed it, and entered into a personal relationship with Jesus, without any prior experience in christianity.
He then began sharing his experience with others, and before you know it, he was pastoring a church. His only guide is the new testament. So when there is a difficulty, they go to the Word and see what it says. Whatever it says, they do. So I was just thinking, maybe this method might work for you and your church.

Do keep me up to date if you would please. God bless you real good tonight.

In the wonder of His love,

Lahry

2005/8/3 23:13
taco

Re: Open-Service Transition

I highly recommend the book "Brethren Hang Loose" by Robert C Girard. The story of Robert's search for "new testamnet church life" amongst the congregation that he was leading. This book tells of the pains and joys of their transition from "pulpit to pew" ministry to "one anothering" ministry.

It can be a very difficult process (I have some first hand experience). Meetings can go from a chaotic converstaion where everyhting and nothing is spoken about to a sort of no man's land where no one really speaks or does anything because they are not sure what they can do. We discoverd that this period need not be a bad thing. We all had ideals in our minds as to how we thought the meetng should look, but we decided to leave that aside for a while as it only brings frustraion. There may be a period of less than perfect order where people will just talk, share whats on thier hearts and maybe speak of their hopes and deisres for the church.

As we went on we found that we began to have to look to the Lord together for wisdom and guidance, it's at this point that peoples gifts and ministries begin to funcion. in oter words; as the needs arose, God supplied to meet that need.

2005/8/4 6:04Profile

Re: wow Taco

That's a great testimony. Praise God.

When I was in Jamaica some years ago, I went to some all night prayer meetings. They would start at 5 in the evening, and go to 5 in the morning. They were very well attended. Many ministers visited from other churches.

What happens is that up until about mid-night, most of what you get is man's good intentions. Then when man begins to fade, God begins to shine. The "quite times" lengthen, and you really begin to hear from God.

I know this is what the early church experienced as well. This is what George Fox was after whereever he went.

I've been in home meetings that functioned oh hearing from God. No, it was not carnality proof, but the ones that worked the best were the ones that had no set agenda or program. Just sit and wait on God. If there is a song in your heart, sing it. If there is a scripture verse or two there, read them. If there is a testimony, give it. If you need help from God, ask for it.

What matters most I think is being in one accord. Remember, the disciples had to get in one accord for the Holy Spirit to fall upon them. Oh that we might be like minded and come to such a rich place in Christ Jesus. We must decrease, and He must increase. Generally speaking, it's only when we come to the end of ourselves, that we began to experience God up close and personal.

James 4:8 tells us to draw near to God, and God will draw near to us. But then the question must be, how do we draw near, and how will we know He is drawing near us?

Shalom,

Lahry

2005/8/4 8:03

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy