SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How do we lead in the church

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Has anyone had any contact or experience of the George Patterson Spontaneous Multiplication of churches programme?

I just received my full copy of this and am very impressed with what I am reading. I think, Zeke, this would be the kind of provocative concept that you would enjoy. Here is an excerpt: So, as you read this chapters, if you objectively and prayerfully examine your traditions you may find that some run counter to what Jesus and His apostles clearly require us to do. These may include:organization structures, especially to harmonize gift-based ministries
evangelistic technique and follow-up procedure
Christian education methods, especially for dealing with families
worship practices, especially for small groups
church spending priorities and attitudes towards wealth
leadership training philosophy
formation and activities of home groups
missionary placement programmes
mission agency management as it deals with gifting
task group formation
inter-church polity for mutual cooperation
disciplinary correction policiesI am looking forward to seeing how they deal with these topics. ;-)

2005/8/1 14:31Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re:

Quote:

philologos wrote:
I am looking forward to seeing how they deal with these topics.

So am I. :-D

2005/8/1 15:42Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Ron,

Perhaps I missed it, but is this article just a small section from a book? If so, what is the full name of the book?

God bless

2005/8/1 16:24Profile
disciplejosh

Southern California

Re: Spontaneous Multiplication of Churches

Hey Ron,

I just printed out and read That section "The Spontaneous Multiplication of Churches" by George Patterson and really enjoyed it. This is something that I am/have been praying about for quite some time.

I have about 8-10 men that I am going to begin discipling here in Escondido, California in September. Some are from established church life and others are ones that the Lord has saved and is using today. But I know that is where the Lord is taking the ministry He has given me in preaching here in a park here in Escondido. Thank you, brother, for putting that link up here.

I would also be interested in how the rest of that book is...

"Spontaneous reproduction of churches means the Holy Spirit moves a church to reproduce daughter churches on it's own, without outsiders pushing it (Acts 13:1-3)."

Acts 13:1-2 have been foundational in the Lord leading/prepping me to do this very thing. That is my desire...not that I would push anything, but that the Holy Spirit would speak and say, "Seperate unto Me..."

Blessings.

2005/8/1 18:42Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re: How do we lead in the church

ZekeO,

There is no substitute for the original. Read the book of Acts, and do what they did. A great sermon on this is by Curtis Hutson entitled, "New Testament Pattern for Church Building," available here under the heading, "Church Building":

http://www.wilderness-cry.net/realpreaching.html

Excerpt:

"Years ago I read the story of a city that was built around a spring. The spring had good water. People heard about it, and they would drive for miles to get a jug of that water just to have drinking water. Some even thought the water had medicinal value to it, others bathed in it, thought it would cure aches and pains. But the fame of the water spread abroad and people drove from far and wide, and some drove for many miles."

"One man decided, 'Why drive here every few days to get fresh water. Why don't I just build a house near this spring, then I'll not have to drive.' The idea caught on and several others built a house around the spring, and then others built. After a while there was a small town, and then by and by a larger town, and then a large city."

"Years later a man heard about that story, and thought he'd like to visit the city and see the spring. And so he visited. Walking down the street of the city he stopped a young man and said, 'Where is the spring.' And the young fellow said, 'What spring?' He knew nothing about the story of the spring. And I think sometimes in religious circles, and in fundamental circles included, that if we're not careful we'll forget the spring, where it all began."

"I think we're probably guilty of making copies of copies."

2005/8/1 20:30Profile
HakkaMin

Taiwan

Re:

Thank you guys for the thread … this is something near and dear to my heart. About 16 years ago, I attended a church planting seminar in Thailand where George Patterson taught on spontaneous multiplication of churches. (I remember George as a mild, gentle man … until, that is, he started speaking about the “wolves” that would try to come in and destroy young church plants. Then, we saw some fire. :-) )

I was just arrived on the field (Taiwan), and in the very initial stages of trying to begin a church planting work. George’s teaching helped to establish some foundations to work from … principles of what church is and how it should operate that are part of our ministry DNA to this day. That said, we didn’t just adopt his model of church planting in a wholesale manner. Over the years, we’ve borrowed principles and strategies from several different models – all in trying to develop what’s right for this people, in this culture, at this time. I don’t think that “one size fits all” where church planting is concerned. (I believe that George’s model was based out of his ministry in the British Honduras.)

One of the greatest issues that George (and others) challenged us with is how to plant a church that would result in a movement instead of just a single church. I’ve found that if the structure is not laid at the beginning for this to happen – and the seeds of multiplication are not planted early on – then chances are not good for successful “spontaneity” to occur. It’s a bit ironic that this spontaneity comes from proactive structure, planning, and discipline. Our job as church planters is to establish a foundation in the church that can actually result in “multipliability”, and to get rid of every thing that will hinder such a movement. (And release the Spirit to do His work in the church.) This is not so easy as it seems, primarily because we church planters tend to bring our own backgrounds and traditions into the church structure that we are trying to plant. This is where the proactive structure, planning, and discipline come in. To think through the models that will work, and then focus hard on implementing them so WE don’t get in the way.

I realize that some people might be opposed to the ideas of “strategy” and “structure” where church planting is concerned, but I don’t believe these things must necessarily be anti-Spirit. I am amazed by the brilliant strategies and structure that Paul employed in his church planting efforts. Most of Acts and Paul’s letters – set squarely in the context of planting churches – reveal some pretty wise planning. (And what wasn’t wise –whether from timing or other reasons – the Spirit intervened to change. Think Acts 16:6-7.)

Well, sorry to bore! I just tend to get excited where church planting is concerned. :-)

By the way, you might also want to check out the “Church Planting Movements” booklet by David Garrison on behalf of the Southern Baptist IMB. It’s THE guide book these days for how to start multiplying churches.

Bless you guys!

2005/8/1 23:07Profile
disciplejosh

Southern California

Re:

HakkaMin,

No 'boring' apologies needed. This is exactly where I am right now. The Lord is leading me in my ministry to do this very thing. I would apprecite all of your prayers and input as I seek His face to step out and move forward in this direction.

2005/8/2 2:47Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Hi Jimmy
The portion a linked to was a chapter (87?),I suspect it was from a journal or book of 'church multiplication' themes. But I also have a book [url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0878084479/qid=1122970602/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-8876923-5963921?v=glance&s=books&n=507846]Church Multiplication Guide[/url] by Patterson and Scoggins.

Those who know my contributions to this theme will know how suspicious I am of techniques and methodologies, but I like the 'mood' of what I am reading. It is high cost it terms of the commitment required but low-tech in everything else. One of the features of this 'philosophy' is what the book describes as 'learning the New Testament way: "hear and do, hear and do, hear and do". NOT "hear, hear, hear and maybe sometime later do".

The theme of spiritual DNA in a group or church is also of interest to me. assembly DNA is a fascinating topic. Like produces like; is the basic reproductive fact of life. I also like the fact that this whole concept is not 'Church Growth' (who needs a fat church? ) but Church Multiplication.

The Acts was never intended to be a manual for church multiplication or growth and I would be reluctant to use it as 'the blueprint' but there are principles which we do well to identify and which as we seek God for personal/local application could be very profitable for the Master.

HakkaMin
Thank you for your input. I was interested to hear of someone who had experienced the concept first hand. Would you have any stories to tell us of these things?

2005/8/2 4:29Profile
Nellie

Re:

No one is allowed to lead in our Church, but the Pastor.
Personally, I feel like he has too much control.
We have Elders, but they don't have much say so.
Our Pastor just got in the pulpit recently, and called up this man and woman, and said they were the Associate Pastors.
The couple was our Youth leaders.

God Bless one and all.
Nellie
:-) :-)

2005/8/2 11:16Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Ok, I'm guilty, I felt provoked to buy the book out of much curiosity, and a deepening sense of doing missions one day. Any other recommended reading in missions would be more than welcomed.

2005/8/2 12:08Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy