SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : A Thought for the Week Ahead by John Avant

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 A Thought for the Week Ahead by John Avant

What matters most to you in your church these days? Good preaching? Great worship? Close fellowship? I believe all of these are the wrong answer! All of these are important, but they’re not the most important thing in your church right now.
The most important thing in every church right now is to experience the revival movement that is happening, mostly among students in our day!

Student revival movements are notoriously short-lived. I came to understand that in 1995. In January revival began at our church in Brownwood Texas. In February it began at Howard Payne University. Four months later all the students went home for the summer! Many of the leaders of the movement graduated. God still worked the next year, but it wasn’t the same.
This is normal and natural. but hopefully 25% of your church doesn’t go away, never to return every year! The key to long lasting revival in this nation, and really the key to the future of our nation, is revival in the local church in America right now.

But to be honest, I am astonished at how little I hear from American Christian leaders about this right now. Do we think that everything is OK with the American church? Or do we think there’s another way for it to change? Maybe the right person will finally lead your denomination or maybe a new pastor will save the day for you? Is this what you believe? It sure seems to be what many American Christians believe. Just go online today. Pick your social media site. The topics will be the latest denominational conflict, the latest interpersonal wars, even the latest lawsuits among Christians, who apparently don’t believe the Scriptures anymore. (1 Cor. 6:1-11)
I really don’t mean to be negative. But our only hope is what God can do not what man can do.

“Repent therefore, and turn back, that your sins may be blotted out, that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord…” Acts‬ ‭3‬:‭19‬-‭20‬ ‭

This is truly a desperate moment of opportunity. If we miss this chance, why would God give us another? Aren’t we deserving of his final judgment in this country? And doesn’t judgement start with the house of God?

So over the next several weeks, I’m going to write about how revival can come to your church. And to your heart. At Life Action Ministries, we have pursued this for 52 years! We have identified six biblical responses to God that historically have been the precursors to revival. I’ll talk about these over the weeks ahead, and I will pray with all of my heart that many of you will become leaders in pursuing revival in your own church. that’s not just a thought for the week ahead. That is the singular desperate need for the week ahead and the years ahead.

2023/3/13 19:30Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re: A Thought for the Week Ahead by John Avant

Thank you for sharing 🙏🏻
He’s not wrong…
May the Word of God, the gospel of the Kingdom, find the good ground of our hearts, taking root, growing and bearing much fruit to the glory of God ✝️

2023/3/13 22:52Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy