SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Christian counselling - is it biblical

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Christian counselling - is it biblical

I know a good number of Christian friends, who are clinically depressed and unable to work. Some long, some short term, some cannot do without medication.

The Christian counselling profession is a relatively new profession. There are people who call themselves certified counselling professionals who make a living out of other peoples probles and they lean heavily on secular psychology as well as some bible application. They focus mostly on the person and their problem. My Ego becomes big and God small. They may be of some help, but why do we allow a blend of psychology and christian theology to enter our minds?

Should not Christ and his word and power give us all we need? Is not the church a hospital to heal the broken hearted? Do we need to take something outside Christ to tackle things that trouble our soul?

I wonder if it has any biblical bearing. What approach do we see in the bible? I see it is actually quite simple.

We need to rightly discern the truth, because the truth set us free and free indeed! John 8:32

People were set free from demonic oppression through the presence of the Lord and the intense spritual atmosphere of love and devotion to Christ. Acts 8:7

We are called to confess their sins to each other James 5:16

Paul encouraged believers to destroy arguments and take opposing thoughts captive. 2 Corinthians 10:5 We need to learn to disciple our thought and discern where they come from.

We should take on the full armor of Christ and fight the good fight.

Sisters were repremanded to reconcile Philp 4:2

In 1 Corinthians we read a lot about mutual confort in affliction that we can give to each other.

We all should expect a certain degree of trouble just becaus e we are aliens and strangers in a fallen world and our righteous life troubles Satan. We need to get back to a biblical view of suffering and see the that it can also have a redemptive and sanctifiying purpose.

We need to discern the source of suffering by goodly wisdom, deep biblical understanding and by supernatural revelation.

We are commanded to rejoice and give thanks in all things.

We are told to pray and fast.

Philippians 4:7
And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

All these thing are supplied by Christ and should be administerd in the Body in the fellowships and by caring for each other.

Can we not comfort the mourning and weep and rejoice with each other?

If we only understood biblical manhood and womenhood, Christian family and our responsibility for others as leaders and servants.

I think if we would apply and teach these things in our fellowships, we would have a lot less troubled people in our midst.

2023/1/29 16:45Profile
docs

Re: Christian counselling - is it biblical

People need counsel. Pure, straight, and simple. It is just a fact in the body of Christ. Some people are trying but just can't get beyond besetting sins and left over so to speak life patterns and structures from before they knew Christ. Salvation has been presented too much as a once and done reality. There is still much to be done after salvation. Some are really trying to walk as a new creation and learn more how to put on the new man. It ain't always easy. Many saved are still wounded or have unresolved grief and a host of problems. They need help and a listening ear. Worldly psychology snd principles should not be used in my opinion by a Christian counselor. We have the WORD and most of all the CROSS. Christian counseling should start there.

Salvation is a once and done event. That is a major fallacy and misleading teaching in the church I believe. It hindered my walk for a long while. Cleansing of sin and reconciliation to God is only the beginning. There is much to be done and worked out. Lazarus came forth from the grave newly alive but had many grave clothes to shed. People need help and counsel doing this. Pastors and elders counsel usually but more lay counseling would be a good thing. We can all be more effective counselors through the WORD and the CROSS.

Blessings.

2023/1/30 6:50Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

NP.
It doesn’t seem to figure as heavily in scripture as it does in the modern church. Sure everyone needs an ear and some advice sometimes but we’ve turned it into a practice that isn’t found in the scriptures in the form it currently is found in our churches. Likewise what is found in scripture, discipleship, is often severely lacking in our modern churches. In my experience, if we took discipleship more serious the need for counseling would decrease as the disciples matured.

To be completely honest, which may seem harsh-
Mostly the need for counseling is the result of people not accepting they were born into a war (spiritual) and live in a fallen world…. This can be observed by “what” people in the church are being counseled for and more often than not it’s worldliness plain and simple 🤷🏽‍♂️
This isn’t our home, and we aren’t supposed to fit in here, get along here, or even seek to … yet many of the “issues” for which counsel is given, is not at all direction in seeking His Kingdom but instead is ultimately in the fact we are unsettled, disturbed and depressed in the flesh that was supposed to be reckoned dead … the hard truth is way too many in our assemblies do not want to be free from the world but be prosperous in it and all too often that desire is accommodated rather than cut off and plucked out 💯

This is not to say there isn’t a time and place for tenderness and godly counsel to be renewed in the spirit of our minds that we are seated with Christ in the heavenly’s. For we are ! And everything pertaining to life and godliness has already been given yet we are not Christ centric in our lives but are self-focused and as a result, full of self-pity (which is satanic).

If we are seeking first His kingdom and his ts righteousness, most tho not all of the issues plaguing the church will be consumed by the love of God in Christ Jesus. For example, if we are seeking opportunity to minister, encourage and promote the gospel then the Holy Spirit will not only lead us but also equip us to that end. Whereas when we desire the things of this world and seek to obtain them, we inevitably pierce ourselves through with many sorrows and in ignorance continue to do harm to the body and cause of Christ-
We have problems in our homes, primarily due to the fact we (men) have not accepted the responsibility of being the priests of our own homes, establishing a godly consistency of demonstrating boldly the joy of our salvation, regularly (constantly) praying and interpreting everything for our wives and children in light of eternity. Husbands are you washing your wives in the word daily? Fathers are you discipling your children, raising them in admonition of the Lord?
Is God the God of your house, is He worshipped and praised in your house? Or have we allowed the world to creep in and steal these precious gifts and promises… ?

2023/1/30 8:19Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

“ Likewise what is found in scripture, discipleship, is often severely lacking in our modern churches. In my experience, if we took discipleship more serious the need for counseling would decrease as the disciples matured. ”

The right kind of Christian counseling is known as Discipleship. Only immature believers need counseling, but whether it be the pastor or a mature believer giving the counseling, lt should lead to a greater dependence on Christ and His Word. No Christian should get counseling from someone that uses psychology or the methods of the world as counseling tools.”

2023/1/30 14:11Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Quote:
Should not Christ and his word and power give us all we need? Is not the church a hospital to heal the broken hearted? Do we need to take something outside Christ to tackle things that trouble our soul?

I wonder if it has any biblical bearing. What approach do we see in the bible? I see it is actually quite simple.

narrowpath,

It's not that black and white, troubles abound in the minds of men and God's people BECAUSE satan abounds with his lies and deceptions.

It's going to take all of us helping each other to get home, narrowpath. Jesus said feed my sheep and I believe the church is the most malnourished it's ever been. We cannot offer to others what we do not have ourselves.

We can place blame on something or someone else but what are WE (who are rooted and grounded in God's word) going to do about it?

The Lord has been showing me this verse the last few months and I will share it with you. This verse reveals a depth of prophesy that we have never experienced before but I am wanting (for the girls I minister to at the jail).
Quote:
24 But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or an uninformed person comes in, he is convinced by all, he is convicted by all. 25 And thus THE SECRETS OF HIS HEART ARE LAID BARE (reveals); and so, falling down on his face, he will worship God and report that God is truly among you. (1 Cor 14:25)

God asked Ezekiel, can these bones live? Yes they can live! The same with those in bondage in Egypt, spiritually. But it's going to take fasting, prayer and love to see souls set free. Not everyone is willing to seek God to help others.

The gifts of the Spirit are for the perfection of the church. And if the church isn't getting perfected, I believe that is on us! How many gifts do you have operating in your life to minister to others? I ask this to everyone reading this, not just you narrowpath. I ask this of myself also.

Jesus gave us everything we need to set the captives free!!
Lisa

2023/2/2 9:59Profile
EAGLEFLYING

Re:

Salvation is a once and done event. That is a major fallacy and misleading teaching in the church I believe. It hindered my walk for a long while. Cleansing of sin and reconciliation to God is only the beginning. There is much to be done and worked out. Lazarus came forth from the grave newly alive but had many grave clothes to shed. People need help and counsel doing this. Pastors and elders counsel usually but more lay counseling would be a good thing. We can all be more effective counselors through the WORD and the CROSS.

In response to all the answers.. I am a Christian counselor.. I was called and chosen into it.. I was given prophetic words by prophets and pastors that I would counsel and oversee many. I went to school and got my degree and God opened the doors for me. I worked with rehab, detox and outpatient prisoners.. Many prisoners are in the church.. Many are out of the church.. Isnt the good samaritan message for us all?? are we all not to stop for the person in the ditch. I do anytime I can.. Many have stopped for me..
Luke 10:25-37
25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”

27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’[a]; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b]”

28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”

29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”

30 In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii[c] and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’

36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”

37 The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”

Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”

I truly am blessed that some see the need for Christian Counselors. I am retired, but refired.. I was at a bible study a sister who asked me to help with suicidal tendencies approached me.. I stopped and stated im retired. She rebuked me.. I did try to help and pour in the oil and wine she did not want to get to the root of her pain. I am honored that God now uses me in the prisons with women. I volunteer.. God gives each of us gifts not everyone can see or will see past tatoos, ear rings nose rings. ect... I can because God called me.. I am putting myself out there and being vulnerable... Its ok because I was led of the Holy Spirit to come on here today.. I do not come on here much..
If I am led I do.. So this is what I see.. there are many who will not talk to a pastor or elder. Many who just walk around in the church like eye ore..

Jesus has I believe given us many gifts. When the Apostle Paul penned 1 cor 12, 13, 14 He put LOVE 1 cor 13 in the middle.

I see as an intercessor a lack of love for the downtrodden.. They are in every church. The abused woman, abused man, the divorcee due to no fault of their own.. So I hope someone reads this and hears my heart....

WE are to LOVE people where they are. UNCONDITIONALLY.... I am blessed that 39 yrs ago people did that to me. I can now love others where they are.. and see past their tatoos, ear nose rings and get to their pain..
Jesus died for us all ALL.. I pray that there are more counselors who are Chosen.. . Jesus said Many are called but few are Chosen. Matthew 22:14
I believe the Church all of us.. Need to wake up. I was told that if I take care of His business He will take care of mine and He does. The only one that matters is JESUS.. I/We are accountable to Him to be good stewards of the gifts He gives us. Im honored and Blessed to help anyone He puts in my path..
in HIm
Sister Frannie

2023/2/2 17:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy