SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Challange, you Chicken?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
inotof

Morehead, KY

Challange, you Chicken?

I was reading on another post and someone mentioned the amout (or in many instances the lack of) time that we spend in the New Testament. (which is only about 1 1/2 thick! MAD PROPS TO GRANNIEANNIE FOR THE INSPIRATION!)

Jesus told the story of the woman with the lost coin. She searched dilligently (with pain staking effort) to find the coin. I understand the context of the story and what it symbolizes, but i think we can look at it in another. She searched so hard for something that was carnal and would perish. Do we put that much effort into our Bible study??? Do we search with that much effort for an answer from God? for the Lost?

************Here's the Challange**********
I DARE anyone that reads this to read 7 chapters for 7 dyas a week (that means Matt 1-7 for the 1st 7 days and so on)Do this for the rest of thru year. do it aside from your normal devotions and normal reading. (I confess that i started this year but slacked off when i got thu john), bt i am now back on track!
So there it is kiddies, i want to challange you. if you do accept the challange, then please PM me or let me know on this post so i can pray for you and ask you to pray for me also.

This is not a gimmick, but it will help you. the word of God is true and we need a daily does of truth to keep our heads straight. Mad love to all people! God Bless ~David Elijah

2005/7/28 17:03Profile
saved_matt

Lancashire, England

Re: Challange, you Chicken?

great idea david ill tell ye another good Bible reading scheme, which i do, read 1 chapter from the law (Gen - Deut) 1 chapter of history (Josh - Est), 1 page of Psalms, 1 chapter of wisdom (Prov - Song, including Job) 1 chapter from the Major prophets (Isa - Dan, include Rev) 1 Chapter of Minor prophets (Hos - Mal) 1 chapter of the gospels (Mat - Acts) and finally 1 chapter from the epistles (Rom - Jude)

phew ... it'll take about 1 hour to read all of them, but just think how well you'll get to know the Word and you'd be surpirise how quick you can get through the minor prophets again and again.

I admit I've only been doing this about 3 weeks but it gives the Lord such a opportunity to speak through His word i do reccommend it

be blessed
matt

2005/7/28 17:45Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re:

I am shooting for cover to cover reading in one year. Not including studying, referencing, casual reading, blindly pointing and reading one verse, memorizing, etc. Just reading. I find that the Scriptures speak to me more after heartfelt prayer, and when done early in the morning (which is rare to be honest), it sets the pace for the whole day.

It is amazing the verses that seems so beautiful that you don't even remember reading the previous time.

2005/7/28 23:37Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
...you'd be surpirise how quick you can get through the minor prophets again and again.

I have discovered that the more I read the scripture the slower I read the scripture. I have now reached the stage where I have to be able to 'hear' the voice of the writer. There is a serious point to this. The book of the Revelation includes a blessing for those that "read AND those that hear the words of this prophecy". This very likely a reference to the fact that many would need to hear because they could not read. The reference in Timothy to 'give attention to reading' almost certainly means the public reading of the scripture.

Our modern dilema is that the congregation is likely to be using 6 different translations and so 'following' the reading has become difficult. The scripture was made to be heard. The KJV translators were acutely conscious of this and built a grandeur into their translation which will never be bettered. As a young preacher an older man told me "when you read publically, if you're not reading too slowly you are reading too quickly". He meant, of course, that it has to sound 'too' slow to the reader to be fully comrehendible to the hearer. It was good advice and I follow it to this day.

The Bible is not like other books. It is to be 'tasted' in the mouth and well as swallowed for nutrition.

2005/7/29 4:14Profile

Re:

It has literallly taken me like 2 years to read the new testament! Trouble is though I am not sure that it is because I am reading it slowly more like I read a bit and I haven't really concentrated on what I have read so I have to read it again and then I pick it up the next night and I have forgotten what I have read the previous night so I have to read it again and it goes on.. :-)

I guess other people must have this problem (I hope!) but I just don't seem to be able to retain anything. I don't really get it because if you read any other book you can remember really well after the whole story and how everything happened but I could have just read a book of the bible and have no recollection even immeadiately after of what I have just read! :-(

2005/7/29 4:53
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re:

Clueless,

I have, to my frustration, had the same problem. To the point where I just felt spiritually dizzied. Then, after study of many Scriptures that I could remember almost nothing of (Chronicles, Kings, etc), God began to open up to me things that were not taught to me by any person. I could make a list.

So while I think that Scripture may be like eating vegetables, when mixed with heartfelt prayer, and a seeking after God in humility, and obeying what you read (important), I think God will honor the reader's efforts, in accordance to the amount of these that have been put in.

In other words, much praying, reading, seeking, and humbling, and obeying, equals blessings in due time. Just like the increase of a seed. I am still learning that God is not going to make me an overnight John Wesley. Keep steady, and obediant, and God will surely bless you, as this is His Word.

Psalm 23: 3-5: "Who shall ascend into the hill of the LORD? or who shall stand in his holy place? He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully. He shall receive the blessing from the LORD, and righteousness from the God of his salvation."

2005/7/29 20:08Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy