SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival
20 Years SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons :  Uproar in the church Derek Prince (Holy laughter) part 2

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
brothagary

Uproar in the church Derek Prince (Holy laughter) part 2

A totally different person

Next morning I awoke to an amazing, but objective fact: I was a totally different person. No longer did vile language flow out of my mouth. Prayer was no longer an effort, it was as natural as breathing. I could not even drink a glass of water without pausing to thank God for it.

At six o’clock, as was my usual custom, I went to the pub for a drink. But when I got to the door, my legs ‘locked’. They would not carry me inside the pub. I stood there having an argument with my legs. Then, to my surprise, I realised I was no longer interested in what the pub had to offer. I turned round and walked back to my billet.

Back in my billet once again, I opened my Bible to continue reading. At this point, however, I discovered the most amazing change of all. Overnight the Bible had become a completely new book. It was as if there were only two persons in the universe – God and me. The Bible was God speaking directly and personally to me. This has never changed, and it is equally true of the Old Testament and the New.

I opened by chance at Psalm 126:1-2: ‘When the Lord turned again the captivity of Zion, we were like them that dream. Then our mouth was filled with laughter…’

At that point I paused. ‘That’s exactly what happened to me,’ I thought. ‘It wasn’t I who was laughing. My mouth was being filled with laughter from some other source!’ Upon further reflection, I saw that this strange, supernatural laughter was the way that God’s people expressed their joy and excitement at being delivered from captivity. …

One evening about ten days after my first encounter with the Lord, I was lying on my back on my mattress in the billet and I began to speak an unfamiliar language that sounded to me like Chinese. Once again, I dimly recalled something I had heard in church about ‘speaking with other tongues’. I knew it was connected somehow with the day of Pentecost. At first I spoke timidly and hesitantly, but as I relaxed, the flow of words became free and forceful.

Once again, the initiative did not come from me. I was responding to a powerful inner force that came very specifically – like my previous laughter – from my belly.

The following evening I again found myself speaking an unknown language, but it was obviously different from the language I had been speaking the previous evening. This time I noticed that the words had a very marked poetic rhythm.

After a few moments of silence, I began to speak in English, but the words were not of my choosing, and their content was on a level far above that of my own understanding. Also, they seemed to have a rhythm similar to that of the words that I had previously spoken in an unknown language. I concluded that my words in English were an interpretative rendering of what I had previously said in the unknown language.

One brief section of what I said in English remains indelibly impressed upon my memory. In vivid imagery, it outlined God’s plan for my life. Looking back over more than 50 years, I can see how God’s plan has been – and is still being – progressively worked out in my life.

In retrospect, too, I have gained a new understanding of my initial experience of supernatural laughter. Unconventional as it was, it proved to be the divinely appointed door through which I entered a lifelong walk of faith. It also had the effect of liberating me from many preconceptions of my background and culture which could have been a barrier to my further spiritual progress.

In Matthew 12:33 Jesus states the most decisive test that must be applied to all forms of spiritual experience: ‘a tree is known by its fruit.’ I have to ask myself therefore: What has been the fruit of my strange experience? Is it possible to give an objective answer?

Yes, the fruit of that experience has been a life converted from sin to righteousness, from agnostic dabbling in the occult to unshakeable faith in Jesus Christ as he is revealed in the Scriptures – life that has been bringing forth fruit in God’s Kingdom for well over 50 years. Certainly that was no transient product of autosuggestion or of some mere emotional extravagance.

From time to time, in the succeeding years, I have received a renewed experience of supernatural laughter. I have also seen other believers touched by God in a similar way, but this has never been a main emphasis of my teaching. Almost invariably I have found this kind of laughter has a double effect: it is both cleansing and exhilarating. At times it has been accompanied by miracles of physical healing or of deliverance from emotional conditions such as depression. … Renewal Journal 5: Signs and Wonders –

————————————————

2023/1/23 1:56Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re: Uproar in the church Derek Prince (Holy laughter) part 2

Thanks Gary. I watched much of Derek Princes teaching and I previously thought, all "Holy Laughter" was counterfeit, but now I believe there is genuine Holy Laughter as well as the false.

There are a couple of passages that state that disciples or converts were filled with exuberant joy, and I think that is more than just putting on a smiley face.

Acts 3:7 And he took him by the right hand and lifted him up, and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength. 8 So he, leaping up, stood and walked and entered the temple with them—walking, leaping, and praising God. 9

Acts 13:52
And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit.
In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations

1 Peter 1:8
Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy,

Acts 16:34
The jailer brought them into his house and set a meal before them; he was filled with joy because he had come to believe in God—he and his whole household.

2023/1/23 6:59Profile
brothagary

Re:

Amen Narrow path, iv personly experienced demonic mocking laughter from a spirit when I prayed over someone who was sick, and
very evil, her personality changed the person tried to stop me from praying for them and gave me a very evil glare voice changed, the laughter went on for a minute or two .

2023/1/23 17:56Profile
wildhorse86

Re:

I can feel joy but not laugh. Scriptures don't fit the claim?

2023/1/24 8:48Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Agreed- experiencing great joy does not mean uncontrolled laughing.

It’s the uncontrollable part that gives me pause.

2023/1/24 12:43Profile

©2002-2023 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy