SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival
20 Years SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Uproar in the church Derek Prince (Holy laughter) part 1

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
brothagary

Uproar in the church Derek Prince (Holy laughter) part 1

That is how I was saved

more than 50 years ago

——————————–

Reports have been coming in from Christian groups in widely separated locations of what appears to be a strange new phenomenon. Believers of different ages and widely different social backgrounds are being overcome by prolonged outbursts of laughter which have no obvious cause. Sometimes they may also act as if they are drunk.

Often this laughter appears to be contagious. Those who have experienced it apparently ‘transmit’ it to others. Large groups may be seized by it simultaneously.

Both ministers and lay people from a wide range of denominations have been affected in this way. Some testify that it has had a stimulating effect on their faith and has brought them closer to the Lord. On the other hand, there are those who are sceptical and view this kind of experience as a deception of the enemy.

As a result of all this, I am frequently being asked whether I believe that the Holy Spirit at times produces in people prolonged, exuberant and apparently causeless laughter. ‘I have to believe it,’ I reply, ‘because that is how I was saved more than 50 years ago.’

In the summer of 1941, I was part of a medical unit of the British Army billeted in a hotel on the North Bay of Scarborough in Yorkshire. The hotel had been gutted of all its furniture and fittings. Our ‘beds’ were simply straw mattresses on the floor.

While in Scarborough I had some brief contacts with Pentecostal Christians, who confronted me for the first time with my need to receive Christ as my personal Saviour. At that point in my life I was a nominal Anglican, who never voluntarily attended church. I had never before heard of Pentecostals, and I had no idea what they believed or what kind of people they were.

About nine months previously, however, I had started to read the Bible through from beginning to end. I had no religious motive. I regarded the Bible merely as a work of philosophy. As a professional philosopher, I felt it was my academic duty to find out what the Bible had to say. At that point I had come as far as the book of Job – but it had been a dreary task!

Confronted in this way with the claims of Christ, however, I decided about 11 o’clock one night to pray ‘until something happened’. I had no idea what I might expect to happen. For about an hour I struggled in vain to form some kind of coherent prayer. Then about midnight I became aware of a presence and I found myself saying to some unknown person what Jacob had said when wrestling with the angel at Peniel: ‘Unless you bless me, I will not let you go’ (Genesis 32:26).

I repeated these words several times with increasing emphasis: ‘I will not let you go, I will not let you go …’ Then I began to say to the same unknown person, ‘Make me love you more and more’. When I got to these last words, I began to repeat them: ‘more and more and more …’

At this point an invisible power came down over me and I found myself on my back on the floor, with my arms in the air, still saying, ‘more and more and more …’

After a while my words changed to deep sobbing which rose up from my belly through my lips, shaking my whole body convulsively. The sobs did not proceed out of anything in my conscious mind. I had no special sense of being sinful.

After about half an hour, without any act of my volition, the sobbing changed to laughter. I had no more conscious reason for laughing than I had had for sobbing. The laughter, like the sobbing, flowed from my belly. At first, it was quite gentle, but it gradually became louder and louder. I had the impression that I was being immersed in a sea of laughter that reverberated around the room.

At this point the soldier who shared the room with me woke up to find me on my back on the floor clothed only in my underwear, with my arms in the air, laughing uproariously. Rising from his mattress, he walked around me rather helplessly two or three times, keeping at a safe distance. Finally he said, ‘I don’t know what to do with you. I suppose it’s no good pouring water over you.’ An inaudible voice within me responded, ‘Even water wouldn’t put this out!’

However, I remembered dimly having heard years earlier in church that we should not blaspheme the Holy Spirit. Contrary to all my natural reasoning, I knew that what was in me was the Holy Spirit. In order not to offend my friend, I rolled over onto my face and laboriously crawled to my mattress. Pulling the blanket over my head, I eventually fell asleep, still laughing – quietly. Renewal Journal 5: Signs and Wonders –

2023/1/22 4:58Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re: Uproar in the church Derek Prince (Holy laughter) part 1

I want to ask you question. Do you believe that this young lady who is trembling and shaking in a church service at the Brownsville Revival is under the influence of an evil spirit or the Spirit of God?

https://youtu.be/4aix9SlcLrE

2023/1/22 16:19Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

brother,

As much as we can not "like" what is happening or think its extreme the fact is the things shared are genuine and its rare to see a deep burden for souls in anyone in the Church. This is a gift from God to weep over the lost and share Gods intense love and grief for mankind which has left and sinned against Him.

Her constitution might be frail to hold the burden of the Lord in her. Different people react in different ways. In the end it would be very hard to attribute this to another else then the work of the Lord. Again we can disagree about a lot of things but in the end when have we wept for the lost, or been grieved like that for people away from God. When have we prayed and prevailed with God for souls for hours. Are we living completely "hot" for Jesus, all sin and compromise gone. Are we in a complete "first love" with Him?

May God corporately send revival even if we don't understand or feel its fitting our boxes, theologically or our concept of God. In the end God has always broken the boxes of people who tried to fully explain Him or think we know how He should always act.

2023/1/22 16:47Profile
brothagary

Re:

I used to struggle with believing that was the holy spirit on her but I've come to believe its definitely not a demon after watching hundreds of people being delivered from demons and the different types of manifestations you get in deliverance ministry, she's clearly experiencing a burden of the lord, for the last 2 years I've experienced a burden in prayer and at times it would get so strong I would be buckled over groaning with my diaphragm crunching under the experience of that burden, and weeping until my headache . I respect John Kilpatrick too much to think that he wouldn't have the gift of discerning of spirits. Also believe it's not true when we say theres hardly any burden in the church, there's thousands of people travailing and fasting for long periods of time having prayer meetings that go 3-4 hours and the spirit completely takes them into the deep places of intercession this is happening all over America and around the world. But you can guarantee it's not happening in certain denominations and so very rare to see that in certain denominations that are not either charismatic or Pentecostal denominations, churches that have never experienced much of revival in the last 30 of 40 years would have none of that happening corporately. At this very moment, God has intercessors all around the world in deep groaning with a very heavy burden not just for the lost but for the church and these people are being used by the Holy spirit to produce the great outpouring of the Holy Spirit before Christ returns to perfect the bride.

2023/1/22 17:50Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote: Do you believe that this young lady who is trembling and shaking in a church service at the Brownsville Revival is under the influence of an evil spirit or the Spirit of God?

Probably both - I don't think that the girl should have been taken up the front to testify. She very clearly needs further deliverance.

Now don't get me wrong I have trembled and shook; this one time it was just prior to deliverance God had knocked me over in the middle of meeting.

When those around me picked me up I stood there trembling shaking, not from fear but because I was about to be delivered. It was a demon manifesting and it's time was up.

I was soon surrounded by people praying for me and I don't how long I was on the floor my I do remember the Pastor saying "that's it, it's coming out" Then the vile taste in my mouth like a thousand bad breaths - praise God I was set free.

When I was free the shaking stopped.

Now that was the result on God working on me for a few months I had been through many things up until that point.

I would say your witnessing an ongoing deliverance of a sister.

God will never cause you to lose control.

The spirits of prophets are subject to prophets. For God is not a God of disorder, but of peace as in all the churches of the saints. 1 Cor 14 32-33

You can see it in the church at the end - confusion - a what are we to do moment - what was happening at the pulpit was only bringing - confusion.

2023/1/23 7:28Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

Brother, I didn’t see any confusion at all as this young woman was giving her testimony. The Spirit of repentance fell on the church. Steve Hill said that he was not preaching that night, because the message had already been given by the Holy Spirit through this young lady. As I watched this testimony I wept and felt the burden of the Lord for souls.

2023/1/23 9:05Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

In my opinion she may have become overcome and emotional due to the HS but the continuing distracting seizure type movements were not directly of the Lord. She should have been able to stop that. I agree that she should have been taken aside and not paraded.

ADD: I wanted to add that I don’t have a problem, as a whole, with Brownsville as many do. Some of the most powerful messages (particularly from Mike Brown and Bob Gladstone) I have ever heard came out of Brownsville.

2023/1/23 11:14Profile
deogloria

Re:

Question: "Do you believe that this young lady who is trembling and shaking in a church service at the Brownsville Revival is under the influence of an evil spirit or the Spirit of God?"
My answer: an evil spirit.

Quote:"May God corporately send revival even if we don't understand or feel its fitting our boxes..."
But it has to fit within the guidelines of Scripture.

I would like to know what happened to this young lady afterwards ?
Where is she now ?
That would give us a few more clues.

2023/1/23 12:10Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

The true test of any revival or move of God is the fruit that it bears, it is not the manifestations, but it is the fruit. I don’t know what happened to this young lady, but I do know what happened to many believers that have been affected by revival, whether it be Brownsville Revival, whether it be the charismatic movement in the 70s in which I was saved. Good fruit came forth from the Brownsville revival. I know men that were called into the ministry and served God faithfully for many years that were impacted by that revival. ..

2023/1/23 13:27Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re: Uproar in the church Derek Prince (Holy laughter) part 1

I believe their are strange manifestations of satanic sources even in genuine revivals. Demons manifest or mock and distract from the true working of the Holy Spirit during meeting. The proof is in the fruit.

2023/1/23 13:34Profile

©2002-2023 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy