SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Holy Laughter and Other Phenomena in Evangelical and Holiness Revival Movements

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
ChrisA

Re:

I regard the Pensacola and Toronto Blessing revivals as utterly false. One of the key differences between these experiences and *genuine* moves of God, like the Jamaica revival of 1860-61, the Lewis revival in the Western Isles of Scotland in 1949-52, the Zulu revival of 1966 into the 1970s in South Africa, the 1970 revival at Asbury University in Wilmore, Kentucky, USA, and so many others, is this: there was an acute awareness of the holiness of God and the wages of sin (death). Sinners were awakened to the fact that they were, to quote Jonathan Edwards, "walking over hell on a rotten carpet." They cried out to Jesus in terror of eternal damnation. They had a sudden, acute awareness of the goodness and severity of God.

In stark contrast, film footage from Toronto, Pensacola, and other such meetings look like a drunken party. There is laughter, giddiness, and chaotic hilarity. These can be readily viewed on YouTube.

Remember, "if possible, even the very elect will be deceived."

2023/1/26 6:31Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

“I regard the Pensacola and Toronto Blessing revivals as utterly false.”

O Brother, Did you ever attend any of the meetings at the Brownsville Revival? I was there and am very familiar with the godly and mature leaders that were there. If you are judging this revival by certain demonic or fleshly manifestations which were in the minority, you are judging it on the wrong basis. I am judging it by the thousands of souls that were saved. (True repentance took place), countless backsliders returned to the Lord and were restored back to fellowship with God. Many ministers and saints in attendance were deeply affected by the presence and anointing of God and took the fire back to their churches. I took the fire into the prisons, and praise God for the men that were impacted, and the fruit that came forth during those days.

2023/1/26 8:39Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Rodney Howard Brown

I quit watching Rodney Howard-Brown in the 90's. i got tired of watching him come out with his Bible but NEVER open it up.

Jesus explicitly says to "Feed my sheep." I do believe in signs and wonders but signs and wonders do NOT feed the sheep.

And Paul said in 1 Tim 3:14-15 Although I hope to come to you soon, I am writing you these things in case I am delayed, so that you will know HOW EACH ONE MUST CONDUCT THEMSELVES in God’s household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.

God bless,
Lisa

2023/1/26 9:01Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

“I quit watching Rodney Howard-Brown in the 90's. i got tired of watching him come out with his Bible but NEVER open it up. “

Rodney Howard Brown did not minister or participate in the Brownsville Revival. John Wimber attempted to bring correction to the Toronto Blessing, but the leadership did not receive his counsel, so the Vineyard Church in Toronto was reprimanded and excluded from the Vineyard churches.

2023/1/26 9:47Profile
deogloria

Re:

"I regard the Pensacola and Toronto Blessing revivals as utterly false."
"...meetings look like a drunken party. There is laughter, giddiness, and chaotic hilarity..."

I fully agree Chris.
This had nothing to do with the glorious Gospel of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
There was no fear of the Lord.

Beware of false prophets...and let's get ready for God's judgement.
He will judge in righteousness.

2023/1/26 11:41Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

“I fully agree Chris.
This had nothing to do with the glorious Gospel of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
There was no fear of the Lord.”

No other gospel, but the gospel of Jesus Christ was preached in the Brownsville revival, the gospel of the kingdom, repentance. The same gospel that David Wilkerson and Leonard Ravenhill preached.

It was the conviction of the Holy Spirit and the fear of the Lord that resulted in the salvation and deliverance of thousands of people.

2023/1/26 13:30Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

Michael Brown Comments on Brownsville Revival

https://youtu.be/z3v5jVbJhVI

2023/1/26 14:16Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
Rodney Howard Brown did not minister or participate in the Brownsville Revival. John Wimber attempted to bring correction to the Toronto Blessing, but the leadership did not receive his counsel, so the Vineyard Church in Toronto was reprimanded and excluded from the Vineyard churches.

That is good to know. I do remember that all that barking stuff started after Toronto. This one church I went to sent some people to Toronto and they came back barking, I kid you not. It was like a virus they caught.

thanks Mike!!

2023/1/26 14:40Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

Michael Brown Comments on Brownsville Revival

https://youtu.be/z3v5jVbJhVI

2023/1/26 15:17Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re:

As far as Toronto goes, I agree, this was false. It came into our church and wrecked havoc. At last our congregation of 300 imploded to a handful.

As for Pensecola, have you been there or do you just reiterate what others say, who have not been there?

2023/1/26 15:37Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy