SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival
20 Years SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Christmas - The attribuites of God and attribuites of man(The Hypostatic Union)

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Christmas - The attribuites of God and attribuites of man(The Hypostatic Union)

When we think of Gods attribuites

God’s Infinitude
God’s Immensity
God’s Goodness
God’s Justice
God’s Mercy
God’s Grace
God’s Omnipresence
God’s Immanence
God’s Holiness
God’s Perfection
God’s Self-Existence
God’s Transcendence
God’s Eternalness
God’s Omnipotence
God’s Immutability
God’s Omniscience
God’s Wisdom
God’s Sovereignty
God’s Faithfulness
God’s Love

and then the fact that the God that created the universe and how the God of the universe took on a human nature
One who is eternal and transcendence to come down.

To me theologically it is a hard concept to grasp. How the immortal can take on mortality and die for our sin. That in the hypostatic union he is both fully god and fully man.

I also am sad at christmas that christ is normally left out of christmas. He is greatest gift.

Even thou the nativity scene is wrong as the wise men would be there along time after the shepards and the archaology at bethlehem is interesting.

Then you have the calculating of the birth of jesus which can be calculated if you know that john the baptist was born six months before jesus and that zechiriah was part of the course of abijah so you can do the maths from there

I have always wondered what it is like how the God who created the universe as the whole of theology is to understand the nature of God

How the immortal can took on mortal form. How the god who is omnipresent can be in one place. How God who is in every place to be in one place.

I always find it lacking when christmas services do not have the content.

as the intrigue of the wise men or the magi, I think the best sermon I heard on this was john macarthur

2022/12/19 17:04Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Christmas - The attribuites of God and attribuites of man(The Hypostatic Union)

Jesus emptied himself of many of those attributes (Phil. 2).

I have always been intrigued by the magi and the exact nature of the “star.”

Granted they weren’t there with the shepherds so there is some conflating of the story which I am willing to overlook. The nativity scene just isn’t right without camels and magi.

2022/12/20 9:50Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

Jesus emptied himself of many of those attributes (Phil. 2).

this is a common misconception , as Jesus is both fully god and fully man, in phil 2 verse 5-6
That he is equal with God, The deity of Jesus Christ is very important as a christian. The Gnosis is that jesus took on a human nature.

Philippians 2
New King James Version
Unity Through Humility

2 Therefore if there is any [a]consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and mercy, 2 fulfill my joy by being like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. 3 Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. 4 Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.
The Humbled and Exalted Christ

5 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, being in the form of God, did not consider it [b]robbery to be equal with God,

John 1
New King James Version
The Eternal Word

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not [a]comprehend it.

John 20:28

New King James Version
And Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!”

The reason that the wise men (magi) are later

Matthew 2:16

New King James Version
Massacre of the Innocents
Then Herod, when he saw that he was deceived by the wise men, was exceedingly angry; and he sent forth and put to death all the male children who were in Bethlehem and in all its districts, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had determined from the wise men.

They are not around at the nativity scene is because herod kills children who are 2 years old and younger.

The nativity scene if accurate wouldnt have the wise men as they came alot later.

John Macarthurs sermon on the wise men is a very good sermon

2022/12/20 15:40Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

This is NOT a misconception. Jesus did in fact empty himself of certain attributes. This in no way implies that he was not fully God and fully man. But it is without question that certain elements of his deity were veiled.

I agree the wise men were later. It just doesn’t bother me that they are shown in nativity scenes.

2022/12/20 16:00Profile

©2002-2023 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy