SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Did You Know? (32 amazing facts about spurgeon)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re: Did You Know? (32 amazing facts about spurgeon)

Quote:
29. Spurgeon's wife, Susannah, called him Tirshatha (a title used of the Judean governor under the Persian empire), meaning "Your Excellency."

I need to show this one to my wife....

Krispy

2005/7/28 9:43

Re:

Spurgeon also enjoyed a good cigar every now and them. I admire that about him because it shows that he was not some "other world" type figure that many times leaders are perceived.

I share his enthusiasm for a good cigar (so long as it doesnt become an addiction), and I didnt know this about Spurgeon until recently.

I cant wait to meet him... what a neat man he was, and so used of God. His humility was amazing as well.

Krispy

2005/7/28 9:47
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I don´t remember who said and is it this for Spurgeon? - that whenever he preached about hell there were tears in his eyes.

Brother Kire, this is famously said of the great evangelist George Whitefield but I am sure it was partially true of C.H. Spurgeon. These men knew the reality of hell and preached with that conviction.

2005/7/28 11:57Profile
dann

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Re:

Quote:
KrispyKrittr wrote:
Spurgeon also enjoyed a good cigar every now and them.

We must note however, that at the time medical science was teaching that smoking a cigar every now and again was good for your lungs. I seriously doubt that Mr. Spurgeon would have ever taken up the habit had this not been the case.

It is told that when Moody was visiting from America he confronted Spurgeon about his smoking habit, poking at the cigar and quipping that "this is not honoring to God." to which Spurgeon retorted by poking Moody's rather large belly, and replying in kind, "this is not honoring to God." I don't have a reference for the exchange, but that is how I heard it.

Spurgeon quit smoking cigars however after, we are told that this is at least in part because tobacco manufacturers began to advertise "Smoke the tobacco brand that Charles Spurgeon smokes!"

I admire Spurgeon for quitting on the grounds that it might be a stumbling block for others. I can't say I admire him for smoking, or that this habit makes him more "down to earth" for me. Really, I am convinced that had Spurgeon been a preacher in our day he would never, ever have started smoking.

Dan
/\/
\/\

2005/7/28 12:10Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
I don´t remember who said and is it this for Spurgeon? - that whenever he preached about hell there were tears in his eyes.

No, I don't think it was. I think that was D L Moody.
Dr R W Dale.. told Campbell Morgan that he had known one man who, he felt, had perfect right to talk about Hell, and that man was D L Moody. He stated that the reason he so felt was that he never heard Moody refer to Hell without tears in his voice.

2005/7/28 13:46Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Spurgeon also enjoyed a good cigar every now and them. I admire that about him because it shows that he was not some "other world" type figure that many times leaders are perceived.

I share his enthusiasm for a good cigar (so long as it doesnt become an addiction), and I didnt know this about Spurgeon until recently.

Krispy
I think this is at least three times you have told us this. "Methinks, the lady doth protest too much"? ;-)

2005/7/28 13:51Profile

Re:

Quote:
We must note however, that at the time medical science was teaching that smoking a cigar every now and again was good for your lungs. I seriously doubt that Mr. Spurgeon would have ever taken up the habit had this not been the case.

It is told that when Moody was visiting from America he confronted Spurgeon about his smoking habit, poking at the cigar and quipping that "this is not honoring to God." to which Spurgeon retorted by poking Moody's rather large belly, and replying in kind, "this is not honoring to God." I don't have a reference for the exchange, but that is how I heard it.

Spurgeon quit smoking cigars however after, we are told that this is at least in part because tobacco manufacturers began to advertise "Smoke the tobacco brand that Charles Spurgeon smokes!"

I admire Spurgeon for quitting on the grounds that it might be a stumbling block for others. I can't say I admire him for smoking, or that this habit makes him more "down to earth" for me. Really, I am convinced that had Spurgeon been a preacher in our day he would never, ever have started smoking.

Dann... I would not encourage anyone to smoke. I do myself have about 10 cigars a year (usually while hunting or camping), and you are correct that they did not have the advantage of the medical knowledge we enjoy in this century.

However, you are making assumptions about Mr. Spurgeons partaking of cigars by calling it a "habit". It certainly was not, and there are several stories and letters written by Mr. Spurgeon himself available at www.spurgeon.org that seem to tell a different story than you.

Revising history is never a good thing. Fact is, he smoked cigars, however he did not allow it to have control over him as a habit. General "Stonewall" Jackson was a staunch Christian who never partook of alcohol after he gave his life to the Lord. One of his staff officers asked him once why he didnt drink whiskey... and Jackson's reply was "I find that I like it too much."

So we have two examples... Spurgeon, who was wise enough to control the thing, and Jackson who was wise enough to realize he couldnt.

I think that makes for a worthy discussion... instead of just trying to sweep it under the carpet.

Philologos mentions that I have mentioned it several times. He is right. I did. Know why? To start a thought provoking conversation about it. Perhaps it has finally happened! Yea!

By the way, as for damage done to lungs, if you inhale a cigar it certainly can cause damage. But if you smoke it properly, you dont inhale. However, it can cause mouth cancer and gum disease.

Anyway... here is a quip from www.spurgeon.org that I think will set the record straight.

[i]Because we get so many requests for information about Mr. Spurgeon's use of cigars, we provide the following vignettes from some early Spurgeon biographies. It is important to note that Mr. Spurgeon's love for cigars was not an addiction, and he deliberately kept it from becoming an addiction, as is clearly shown in the anecdotes related by William Williams (below).

Furthermore, we fully agree with Mr. Spurgeon that smoking cigars per se is not a sinful activity. Cigars, unlike cigarettes, are properly smoked without inhaling, minimizing the risk of lung damage. Nor does cigar smoking normally involve the kind of addictive behavior associated with cigarette use. By all accounts, Mr. Spurgeon's smoking was occasional, and never much more than a cigar a day or so—which, again, suggests that this was no addiction with him.

There are no doubt health risks associated with cigars, but this is also true of cream cheese, or coffee, or almost anything when consumed without moderation. There is no real evidence that cigars in any way hastened Mr. Spurgeon's death.

Mr. Spurgeon's smoking was a historical fact, and the cause of truth cannot be served by denying it or [b]inventing myths that suggest he finally "repented" of this activity. The fact is that he did not regard smoking cigars as a sinful activity, and he evidently held that opinion until the end of his life.[/b][/i]

Krispy

2005/7/28 14:22
DezCall

The Netherlands

Quote:
30. Spurgeon often worked 18 hours a day. Famous explorer and missionary David Livingstone once asked him, "How do you manage to do two men's work in a single day?" Spurgeon replied, "You have forgotten that there are two of us."

"...there are two of us." AMEN!

2005/8/6 16:16Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

23. The theme for Spurgeon's Sunday morning sermon was usually not chosen until Saturday night.

This is a great thread. Just listened to a message on prayer from Spurgeon earlier today...

Recall looking for the mentioned 'Lectures to My Students' awhile back, might have been Ron's suggestion then, but couldn't find an online copy, wondering if there is one somewhere out there.

www.ccel.org has quite a few volumes of Spurgeon's works for anyone interested.

2005/8/6 18:04Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

According to Ravenhill, Spurgeon never made an altar call, but invited inquirers, anxious about their soul, to come to his office on Monday.

2005/8/21 4:52Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy