SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : God did not create us to live by instructions.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Good point, twayneb.

The most important part of this is that we must be willing to surrender our lives (and our will/wants) for our Lord.

When I gave my life to Jesus, I did just that -- I gave my life to him. I poured out my heart to him (alone in a field) and told him that I would give up everything that I was and everything that I could ever be if I could only know him and be his friend. I arose from my knees dead to my old self and suddenly alive -- a new creation.

As Leonard Ravenhill often said, repentance isn't just feeling that you're sorry for your sins. It's not just saying a prayer asking for forgiveness. It's believing in Christ enough to give your entire life to him.

Once this happens, we feel that "freedom" in Christ where the law of God is written in our hearts. It's not freedom to sin but freedom to be alive to God in Christ Jesus (Romans 6:1-14).

In this current world, I sometimes wonder whether people misunderstand the "freedom" that comes through Christ. I've seen people who even make excuses for sin by invoking their "freedom" via the "grace of God." Some, I fear, are awfully close to insulting the spirit of grace (Hebrews 10:1-31).

In the Old Covenant Law, God knew that his chosen people would sin in this world. That was the purpose of sacrifices at the Tabernacle and Temple. Forgiveness of sin and atonement were obtained in that manner. However, we have been redeemed. Our bodies are now the Temple of the Holy Spirit. We live in such a way as to come to him daily. We live our lives for him daily. We live with a sense of wanting to please him and forsaking our own sinful desires. Sometimes, we fall short. Yet, we boldly approach his throne of grace.

Thanks for pointing this out. The tablets of God's law are still written on paper; but, their eternal basis and meaning is only realized by hearts given to him.

2022/11/21 13:06Profile
Platy

Re:

ccchhhrrriiisss wrote:

"When I gave my life to Jesus, I did just that -- I gave my life to him. I poured out my heart to him (alone in a field) and told him that I would give up everything that I was and everything that I could ever be if I could only know him and be his friend. I arose from my knees dead to my old self and suddenly alive -- a new creation."

and

"Thanks for pointing this out. The tablets of God's law are still written on paper; but, their eternal basis and meaning is only realized by hearts given to him."

The key is the new birth/regeneration. Without the new birth the bible is a dead book. With the new birth it becomes a living book. One of the evidences one has been born again is the desire/hunger for the written word.

This thread is focused on justification by faith I believe. What about sanctification and what is the role of the written word in regards to sanctification?

[1Pe 2:2 KJV] [2] As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:

[Jhn 17:17 KJV] [17] Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

2022/11/21 14:54Profile
Platy

Re:

twayneb wrote:

""Even those who have the Bible and study it are not governed by the Spirit of God if they are not walking in the Spirit. This is evidenced by the craziness that we see going on in the "church" world these days."

Does the craziness that we see happening in the church come from those who study the bible and know it? For example, LGBTQ (in the church) comes from people who reject the bible as being relevant for today. False gospels/cults come from people who twist the bible and then are believed by people who don't know their bibles to discern between the true and the false.

2022/11/21 15:00Profile
deogloria

Re:

vern
At the beginning you wrote: "The purpose of everything is that God our Father might have what He wants. And what God wants above all is a Body, a visible form, through which He can be Himself inside of His creation..."
I can't find this in Scripture. "want" means "to be needy or destitute" . God doesn't need or lack anything.

You also wrote: "Jesus belongs to me..."
Paul wrote: "You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore glorify God with your body..." 1 Corinthians 6:19–20
In Romans 1:1 he wrote: "Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus..."
A servant (doulos) works for his Master.
Jesus will always be Supreme, King of Kings and Lord of Lords

You are mixing truth and error.
It is dangerous if you get your ideas just of some internet sites.

2022/11/23 4:08Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

deogloria

I have not closely read all the posts in this thread so I am just responding strictly to this statement you made:

Quote:
You also wrote: "Jesus belongs to me..."

I assume you reject this statement.

Do you reject these statements if I say:

(1) “The Lord Jesus is mine and I am His”.

Song of Song 2:16 – My beloved is mine, and I am his………

(2) “I am the Lord Jesus’ and He is mine”.

Song of Songs 6:3 -- I am my beloved’s and my beloved is mine……

(3) “I am the Lord Jesus’ and His desire is for me”.

Song of Songs 7:10 – I am my beloved’s, And his desire is for me.

Comment:

The Lord Jesus’ desire is for us to be in Him, in His name.

John 17:24 –
“Father, I desire that they also, whom You have given Me, be with Me where I AM, so that they may see My glory which You have given Me, for You loved Me before the foundation of the world.

Note: Caps “I AM” mine,

John 15:5 –
I am the vine, you are the branches……
v. 4 –
Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me.

Comment:

The branch cannot be in the vine and cannot receive anything from the Vine if the branch does not belong to the Vine and the Vine does not belong to the branch. Of course, the Vine will forever be the Master and Lord of the branch. The branch will forever be the servant/slave of the Vine and will forever have nothing, just the Master Himself.

Now and forever, the Lord Jesus is all I have and want.

Ps. 73:25 –
Whom have I in heaven but You?
And besides You, I desire nothing on earth.

John 1:16 –
For of His fullness we have all received, and grace upon grace.

2022/11/24 0:22Profile
deogloria

Re:

Thanks Jade
It dependes which definitions we apply and how we interpret some verses
"Jesus belongs to me..."
belong to (someone) : to be the property of (someone) : to be owned by (someone) (source:Britannica )
Jesus is not my property

Ps. 73:25 –Whom have I in heaven but You?
Pulpit Commentary
Who is there in all the host of heaven on whom I can place any reliance, excepting thee?

"Of course, the Vine will forever be the Master and Lord of the branch. The branch will forever be the servant/slave of the Vine..."
That is a good and easy to understand summery.
We are the branch, we will not become as the vine
And yet, we should still become more and more like Jesus.
This process of becoming more Christ-like is “sanctification.” To be sanctified is to become more dedicated to God and separated from sin It’s to live out the deep principles of salvation. In sanctification, believers become more like their Savior.

Thank you all, blessings

Markus

2022/11/24 10:10Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Markus,

Quote:
Pulpit Commentary
Who is there in all the host of heaven on whom I can place any reliance, excepting thee?

That is not what Ps. 73:25 says. Ps. 73:25 is self-explanatory.

Quote:
We are the branch, we will not become as the vine

Agree. The branch can never become the Vine. But the branch has the same life and nature as the Vine because it is the Vine’s own life and nature that fills the branch. That is Christ in me.

Quote:
To be sanctified is to become more dedicated to God and separated from sin It’s to live out the deep principles of salvation. In sanctification, believers become more like their Savior.

And how, in your view, is that achieved?

Blessings

2022/11/24 10:33Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy