SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : metaphysics

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Jhonny97or

metaphysics

Hello brothers, blessings, excuse my bad English, I'm using the translator. I have a question: What do you think about metaphysics? Do you consider that there is something "good" in metaphysics that as a Son of God you can read? I don't know for examples what the great men and women of God think about metaphysics, I don't know for example if Jonathan Edwards read and knew metaphysics? I would like to read quotes from men like this about what they think about metaphysics, I am talking about, for example, reading Thomas Aquinas, for example. Is there any profit in instructing me in natural theology? What do you think about it?

I am from South America and it seems that it is a very demonized subject. But I don't understand how metaphysics can be demonized, for example the metaphysics of Thomas Aquinas?

2022/9/26 14:01Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re: metaphysics

Interesting subject but be aware of the snare:

Definition of metaphysics.

1. (used with a sing. verb) Philosophy The branch of philosophy that examines the nature of reality, including the relationship between mind and matter, substance and attribute, possibility and actuality.

“See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception [pseudo-intellectual babble], according to the tradition [and musings] of mere men, following the elementary principles of this world, rather than following [the truth—the teachings of] Christ.”
( Colossians 2:8)

2022/9/26 14:37Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Johnny-

Do you mean “metaphysics” or “mystics?”

2022/9/26 16:38Profile
Jhonny97or

Re:

“metaphysics” Or what can also be known as natural theology, or philosophy of religion.

2022/9/26 16:46Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

Here is an excellent article that helps to understand this subject.

https://www.gotquestions.org/natural-theology.html

I hope it translates well!

2022/9/27 8:48Profile
Jhonny97or

Re:

Thank you, if you can translate it well.

2022/9/27 10:19Profile
Jhonny97or

I came across an excerpt from Tozer where he mentions something about metaphysics, I'm going to put it here.

IF I HAD BUT ONE YEAR TO LIVE by A.W. Tozer

Moses prayed, "Teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom."
Now, suppose that the first half of that prayer were to have literal fulfillment for me, and I were to learn positively that I had but one year to live—the number of my days were to be 365, no more, and at the end of that time my earthly life were to reach a sure and sudden termination in the shocking finality which is death. What could I do to bring the answer to the rest of that prayer? If I applied my heart, what would "wisdom" dictate that I should do with the precious days that remained to me?

The first thing that strikes me is that I should have to arrive at some plan of action in conformity with known facts. However much I might ignore them while the hope of long life lay before me, with that hope shrunk to a brief year, these facts would take on tremendous proportions. I mean the great cardinal facts of Bible doctrine. It is a significant thought that with death stalking me I should have no interest whatever in any controverted subjects; neither would the profundities of theology influence me, nor the abstruse refinements of Christian metaphysics.

This is the link to the full article: https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=39418&forum=34

2022/9/27 10:21Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

There is a lot of philosophy that is
merely the knowledge of men without God. It’s the same knowledge that God said was to be avoided when man ate the fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

There are many men that go into seminaries to gain knowledge so they can be a minister, and they have a head knowledge of the Bible but very little revelation knowledge. So the knowledge they do have can often be working to their detriment and the detriment of those that they are Ministering to. The knowledge that believers should be seeking is the knowledge of Christ by the revelation of the Holy Spirit.

2022/9/27 10:37Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

What language do you need?

2022/9/27 23:23Profile
Jhonny97or

"No motorist would be excused if he neglected to consult his road map and tried instead to find his way across the country by looking for moss on logs, or by observing the flight of wild bees or watching the movements of the heavenly bodies. If there were no map a man might find his way by the stars; but for a traveler trying to get home the stars would be a poor substitute for a map. Without a map the Greeks did an admirable piece of navigating; but the Hebrews possessed the map and so had no need of human philosophy. As one not wholly unacquainted with Greek thought I state it is my belief that but one of Isaiah?s eloquent chapters or David?s inspired psalms contains more real help for mankind than all the output of the finest minds of Greece during the centuries of her glory." AW TOZER

2022/9/29 12:17Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy