SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Access over 100,000+ Sermons from Ancient to Modern
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Why is it pastors focus on books such as Romans , Ephesians and not on the minor books

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Why is it pastors focus on books such as Romans , Ephesians and not on the minor books

As being a Christian along time
Finding a biblical church is hard but when you do pastors tend to focus on Romans , gospels, Ephesians, 1 Thess, Gal or the pastoral letters but not books such as Obadiah, Ezekiel or numbers
I know this as when I worked in the Christian bookshop you would find massive amounts of commentaries on Romans but the other books there wouldn't be as much information

Why is it preachers just tend to preach on subjects that they know and not do there homework as a touch of a button I can bring up commentaries on any book of the bible , I can find out what the early church fathers think or bring up the original languages just by one app.

We are in an age where there is no excuse. There has been more finds archaeology regarding every book of the bible

People as obscure as Balaam and even Gideon have archaeological evidence for them

People into prophecy tend to know Daniel , isaigh and revelation and maybe Zechariah but not any of the other minor prophets

I know we live in an age where people don't like to even go through the bible book by book

The bible tends to be the most unread book in the church

I know we have the bible in a year programs but the problem that I find with those it does not place things in context as you may read Ephesians and maybe 1 Psalm but most of the letters where taken as a whole

As if you get a letter in the post you do not divide it into chapters and then read parts of it each week as you do not do that with emails

The problem that I find is that you can sometimes miss the context by doing the bible in a year

Preachers also tend to miss out verses that don't get along with there theology or use different translations to make it say what they want to

I have heard so many bible series on the book of Romans , Paul's letters and other things but not maybe on books like Deuteronomy even thou it is quoted by jesus more than any other book

With Christians there is the tendancy to go through genesis then get stuck in something like numbers or Leviticus and then stop or if they are good

Most Christians then can get through something like numbers then struggle with books like ezekial or Jeremiah

It is embarrassing when speaking to atheists or non Christians who are not even saved who have actually read the scriptures more than Christians or even Muslims

I know there are people from all ages in the church who haven't and if you haven't there is always things such as audible bibles which you can access from everything from smart speakers to apps on your mobile phone

Why can't preachers take risks and preach through more harder books

2022/7/25 9:12Profile
Jeremy221

Re: Why is it pastors focus on books such as Romans , Ephesians and not on the minor

I think it has a lot to do with “meeting the needs” of the people. If you’ve been given perspective by the Lord, you can see the importance of every book. However, I have run into many who, despite receiving a calling from the Lord, either had no background in these areas or were trained in places with a very rigid theology and curriculum that did not cover these books. These schools ingrain their students with the idea that they must perfectly teach what they have studied. The pastors are prisoners to the expectations of their schools, denomination and local church congregation. Sometimes you get to witness them drawn by the Spirit to the other books and their bonds being broken. It’s often quite messy as their categories are broken and rebuilt by the Lord Himself. The senior pastor at brother’s church seems to be going through this.you can see the Spirit working in him and revealing new things yet he still falls back on his previous training.

When you visit a fellowship, you can often judge their maturity by the songs they sing. The one above had several very scriptural songs that almost verbatim repeated the truths of the Word. Yet they also sang one that stated in no uncertain terms that they did not experience an intimate relationship with the Lord.

I’ve had the opportunity to be in churches where they made it a purpose to work through the whole Bible, even the lesser known books in a systematic manner. The group ran into the problem of everything being hearsay. It was “this systematic theology says this” and “that systematic theology says that” but there was no authority or understanding. Ultimately everything boiled down to their overly simplistic theology they had had before. From what I gathered, they didn’t read those passages outside of studying for the related sermons nor did the other brethren in the congregation. So if you bring it up in discussion they would be completely offset and unable to discuss.

2022/7/27 13:36Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Dom if you have read Nahum and Obadiah etc you know why. Not very exciting and I don’t think God minds me saying it. Not saying there is not some meat in Haggai but you can’t compare it to Romans or the gospels.

2022/7/27 15:03Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

Dom if you have read Nahum and Obadiah etc you know why. Not very exciting and I don’t think God minds me saying it. Not saying there is not some meat in Haggai but you can’t compare it to Romans or the gospels.

the minor prophets are extremely exiting It is just nobody focuses on them

--------------

Jeremy is it good that you even touched them
it is embarrassing when I went up speakers corner and some Muslims or atheists tend to know the bible better than some Christians

2022/7/27 15:25Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I read through the Bible every year, and I am not afraid to state that there are some parts I have to slog through. The minor prophets aren’t so bad because they are short. But parts of Chronicles, Ezekiel, Leviticus etc are pretty rough going.

Not saying they aren’t important because they obviously are.

But the original question is why they aren’t “preached” more- like Romans and Corinthians.

It’s kind of like asking why WW1 and WW2 get more attention than the Crimean War. There’s just a ton more to talk about.

2022/7/28 10:07Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy