Discussion Forum : General Topics : God’s Will

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
BranchinVINE

Australia

God’s Will

Friedrick/Joshua posted on “Great Quotes 23” today:

Quote:
"Bring a full heart of pure love, a love that is not seeking anything for itself. Bring a heart that is seeking nothing from the Lord, but desires only to please Him and to do His will" - Jeanne Guyon

My Question:

What is God’s will?

Also,

Quote:
"You must utterly believe that the circumstances of your life, that is, every minute of your life, as well as the whole course of your life - everything, yes, everything that happens - have all come to you by His will and by His permission. You must utterly believe that everything that has happened to you is from God and is exactly what you need." - Jeanne Guyon

My Question:

Is God’s permission = God’s will?

2022/6/25 1:16Profile
deogloria

Re: God’s Will

Quote: "Bring a heart that is seeking nothing from the Lord, but desires only to please Him and to do His will

In Psalm 139:23-24 we read: Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my concerns. See if there is any offensive way in me; lead me in the everlasting way.

Quote: " You must utterly believe that everything that has happened to you is from God and is exactly what you need." - Jeanne Guyon
King David's sins with Bathsheba was not from God and not exactly what anyone involved needed.

Here is the real problem:
“The school of mysticism that Guyon adhered to, sometimes called Quietism, was an extreme form of Roman Catholic mysticism that emphasized the cleansing of one’s inner life and included the belief that one could see Christ visibly..."(THE MINDLESS MYSTICISM OF MADAME GUYON, G. Richard Fisher)

2022/6/25 12:17Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

//Here is the real problem:
“The school of mysticism that Guyon adhered to, sometimes called Quietism, was an extreme form of Roman Catholic mysticism…/

Yet AW Tozer spoke very favorably of her. Any person he gave credence to and was influenced by should not be dismissed so flippantly.

Maybe what Fisher calls an “extreme form of Roman Catholicism” was actually a total devotion to Christ which is practically unheard of today.

Do not fear the mystics.

2022/6/25 14:08Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re:

I once started to read her book, but could not go on, as alarm bells inside me started to ring. I had came out of new age and I saw many similarities to it. The fact that Tozer, Ravenhill and others speak favourably of her is a matter of fact. That does not lead me to question my assessment of her book, neither do I draw conclusions as to question the judgement of these men of God in spiritual things. One day we will know...

2022/6/25 14:36Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Markus,

Quote:
Here is the real problem:
“The school of mysticism that Guyon adhered to, sometimes called Quietism, was an extreme form of Roman Catholic mysticism that emphasized the cleansing of one’s inner life and included the belief that one could see Christ visibly..."(THE MINDLESS MYSTICISM OF MADAME GUYON, G. Richard Fisher)

I read Jeanne Guyon’s book “Experiencing the Depths of Jesus Christ” many years ago. No alarm bells rang for me. I cannot recall her writing anything about seeing Christ visibly in this book that is a cause for concern.

Anyway, this is what Scripture says about seeing Jesus:

John 6:40 –
For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day.

2 Cor. 3:18 –
But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit.

Quote:
In Psalm 139:23-24 we read: Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my concerns. See if there is any offensive way in me; lead me in the everlasting way.

2 Cor. 13:5 –
Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Eph. 3:17 –
that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith;

The heart that pleases God is the heart in which Christ dwells.

Quote:
King David's sins with Bathsheba was not from God and not exactly what anyone involved needed.

Agree. It was not from God and not God’s will and is bad for all concerned, but God permitted it.

2022/6/26 12:02Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re: God’s Will

I read this scripture only a few minutes before reading these posts on the will of God:

“In Him also we have received an inheritance [a destiny—we were claimed by God as His own], having been predestined (chosen, appointed beforehand) according to the purpose of Him who works everything in agreement with the counsel and design of His will,” ?Ephesians 1.-11)

2022/6/26 17:42Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Thank you, Mike, for giving this scripture which reveals the amazing and wonderful will of God and our great salvation in the Lord Jesus Christ.

I am busy at the moment. Write again soon.

2022/6/28 2:22Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Posted in error

2022/6/28 13:23Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy