SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Zechariah 3

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Zechariah 3

1 And he shewed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him.
2 And the LORD said unto Satan, The LORD rebuke thee, O Satan; even the LORD that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: is not this a brand plucked out of the fire?
3 Now Joshua was clothed with filthy garments, and stood before the angel.
4 And he answered and spake unto those that stood before him, saying, Take away the filthy garments from him. And unto him he said, Behold, I have caused thine iniquity to pass from thee, and I will clothe thee with change of raiment.
5 And I said, Let them set a fair mitre upon his head. So they set a fair mitre upon his head, and clothed him with garments. And the angel of the LORD stood by.
6 And the angel of the LORD protested unto Joshua, saying,
7 Thus saith the LORD of hosts; If thou wilt walk in my ways, and if thou wilt keep my charge, then thou shalt also judge my house, and shalt also keep my courts, and I will give thee places to walk among these that stand by.
8 Hear now, O Joshua the high priest, thou, and thy fellows that sit before thee: for they are men wondered at: for, behold, I will bring forth my servant the BRANCH.
9 For behold the stone that I have laid before Joshua; upon one stone shall be seven eyes: behold, I will engrave the graving thereof, saith the LORD of hosts, and I will remove the iniquity of that land in one day.
10 In that day, saith the LORD of hosts, shall ye call every man his neighbour under the vine and under the fig tree.

If Joshua the High Priest is a picture of Christ, and his filthy garments a picture of our sin, it is appalling to be made starkly aware that Satan is right there accusing Him, right up to the last.

We need not expect it to be easier for us.

2005/7/26 22:21
rookie

Savannah TN

Re: Zechariah 3

Hi Sis.

Joshua was selected by God to be the earthly priest over the people whom God chose as the remmant of Israel. This section of Scriptures gives us an illustration of salvation. Joshua was once under the dominion of Satan. And Christ rebukes Satan and determines that Joshua will no longer be under Satan's rule. Christ gives to Joshua a new white robe.

This is what happens to all who call on the name of our Lord continuously.

God Bless
Jeff

2005/7/28 14:19Profile

Re: Zechariah 3

Hi rookie,

Check out Haggai 1:1. There you'll see the Joshua seen by Zechariah, and he really was the High Priest at the time. (I had to look it up, too.)

This Joshua was an ordinary man, like the Joshua who led the Hebrews across Jordan into the Promised Land (Joshua 3), living in an extraordinary time. Yes, these men had fallen natures, but, Joshua (Jesus) our High Priest, never did, even though Satan was in-His-face continually tempting Him to sin.

In taking the picture of Joshua the High Priest in Zechariah and learning from it, I seem to see that Jesus (our High Priest) was being tempted and accused by Satan, (right up until He had accomplished His work on the cross), where [i]for us[/i] He became everything that separated Him from His Father.

This also ties in with the prophecy in Psalm 22, where His enemies are encircling Him while He is on the cross. Do you agree?

Here are some other verses which fit.

Isaiah 64:6 (NASB)
For all of us have become like one who is unclean,
And [u]all our righteous deeds are like a filthy garment[/u];
And all of us wither like a leaf,
And our iniquities, like the wind, take us away.

John 10 (KJV)
17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

Luke 15
But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him.
21 And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son.
22 But the father said to his servants,
[u]Bring forth the best robe[/u], and put [it] on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on [his] feet:

Revelation 12:10
And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven,
Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ:
for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

2005/7/29 8:13

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy