SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Deception a Bible word Study and self deception

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Deception a Bible word Study and self deception

Matthew 2:16
Massacre of the Innocents
Then Herod, when he saw that he was deceived by the wise men, was exceedingly angry; and he sent forth and put to death all the male children who were in Bethlehem and in all its districts, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had determined from the wise men.

Matthew 24:4
And Jesus answered and said to them: “Take heed that no one deceives you.

Matthew 24:5
For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many.

Matthew 24:11
Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many.

Matthew 24:24
For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.

Matthew 27:63
saying, “Sir, we remember, while He was still alive, how that deceiver said, ‘After three days I will rise.’

Mark 13:5
And Jesus, answering them, began to say: “Take heed that no one deceives you.

Mark 13:6
For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am He,’ and will deceive many.

Mark 13:22
For false christs and false prophets will rise and show signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.

Luke 21:8
And He said: “Take heed that you not be deceived. For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am He,’ and, ‘The time has drawn near.’ Therefore do not go after them.

John 7:12
And there was much complaining among the people concerning Him. Some said, “He is good”; others said, “No, on the contrary, He deceives the people.”

John 7:47
Then the Pharisees answered them, “Are you also deceived?

Romans 7:11
For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it killed me.

Romans 16:18
For those who are such do not serve our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly, and by smooth words and flattering speech deceive the hearts of the simple.

1 Corinthians 3:18
Avoid Worldly Wisdom
Let no one deceive himself. If anyone among you seems to be wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise.

1 Corinthians 6:9
Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites,

1 Corinthians 15:33
Do not be deceived: “Evil company corrupts good habits.”

2 Corinthians 6:8
by honor and dishonor, by evil report and good report; as deceivers, and yet true;

2 Corinthians 11:3
But I fear, lest somehow, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, so your minds may be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

Galatians 6:3
For if anyone thinks himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself.

Galatians 6:7
Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

Ephesians 5:6
Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.

Colossians 2:4
Now this I say lest anyone should deceive you with persuasive words.

2 Thessalonians 2:3
Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition,

1 Timothy 2:14
And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression.

2 Timothy 3:13
But evil men and impostors will grow worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived.

Titus 1:10
The Elders’ Task
For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision,

Titus 3:3
For we ourselves were also once foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving various lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful and hating one another.

James 1:16
Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren.

James 1:26
If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one’s religion is useless.

1 John 1:8
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

1 John 2:26
These things I have written to you concerning those who try to deceive you.

1 John 3:7
Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous.

2 John 1:7
Beware of Antichrist Deceivers
For many deceivers have gone out into the world who do not confess Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.

Revelation 12:9
So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

Revelation 13:14
And he deceives those who dwell on the earth by those signs which he was granted to do in the sight of the beast, telling those who dwell on the earth to make an image to the beast who was wounded by the sword and lived.

Revelation 18:23
The light of a lamp shall not shine in you anymore, and the voice of bridegroom and bride shall not be heard in you anymore. For your merchants were the great men of the earth, for by your sorcery all the nations were deceived.

Revelation 19:20
Then the beast was captured, and with him the false prophet who worked signs in his presence, by which he deceived those who received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped his image. These two were cast alive into the lake of fire burning with brimstone.

Revelation 20:3
and he cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal on him, so that he should deceive the nations no more till the thousand years were finished. But after these things he must be released for a little while.

Revelation 20:8
and will go out to deceive the nations which are in the four corners of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle, whose number is as the sand of the sea.

Revelation 20:10
The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

Deception
What I find so interesting is that so many people do not see the obvious when looking at verses.

I have been thinking when whether god is covering their eyes or that they can't see it.

I think the greatest deception is self-deception and I am probably deceived the most as like paul I can say I am the greatest of sinners and I need a saviour.

That's why there is grace and truth because if we see our true sinful condition we are all deceived to some degree as sin blinds our eyes.

It is amazing that God can show

2022/3/5 16:59Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Deception a Bible word Study and self deception

Deltadom,

I find your conclusion confusing.

Scripture warns people against being deceived. To suggest that "if we see our true sinful condition we are all deceived to some degree as sin blinds our eyes" is contradictory.

I see your conclusion confusing.

Deception occurs when people deliberately abandon TRUTH and choose something else more to their likening thus denying reality. Do this often enough will result in deception because a new norm will have replaced TRUTH.

My thoughts.

Sandra

2022/3/29 18:45Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

2Th 2:10
and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

What do you make of this Scripture? What does it mean by "they did not receive the love of the truth"?

2022/4/5 8:48Profile
AJM_REV2220

USA Great Lakes...

Re:

Brother & Sisters, when reading 2 THESS 2:10, I understand the following:

1) the lawless one seeks to deceive in every manner

2) yet people have a choice to believe a lie (deception) or truth

3) those who believe the lie of the great deceiver will perish (a consequence consistent with other scripture)

4) those who "receive the love of the truth" are those who are making a choice to believe the truth. IMO, I think "love of the truth" could be translated as "strongly embrace the truth". Agape (Greek for love) is used throughout the NT in a manner of emphasis especially in relationship to Jesus (John 15:9-10 is one that comes to mind). Therefore, I perceive this statement as "those who strongly cling to the truth (Jesus, God, His commandments, His truth) then you will not be deceived and perish". The "receive the love" could be infer the influence of the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 1:13) when discerning the truth.

Paul writes this to exhort the Thessalonica church to be watchful and grounded in truth because of the ongoing hostilities and falsehoods (verses 1-3). He would know as having been run out of that town (ie. the power of the gospel is truth which always threatens the powers, principalities, spiritual wickedness in high places which respond in such a manner).

Hope and pray this is edifying. If not, please respond or reprove.

2022/4/5 12:22Profile
passerby

Re:

Deception involves the deceiver and his agents, the falsehood or misrepresentation, and the target of deception. It is a real spiritual battle and a real battle against our own self.

Susceptibility to prophetically marked deceptions could have happened to us long ago because of our own obstinacy and vanities.

The bible told us to meditate on the precepts of God day and night. To render our lives submissively and humbly before Him. Trusting for His care, protection, and supplication.

2022/4/5 14:48Profile
AJM_REV2220

USA Great Lakes...

Re:

Zac Poonen teaches on 2 THESS 2 "love the truth"

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/myvideo/photo.php?lid=3334

2022/4/5 14:51Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re: rookie

What do you make of this Scripture? What does it mean by "they did not receive the love of the truth"?

not “receiving” bespeaks it was offered to them yet receiving is itself a choice and an action.
(for me) the reading of this passage suggests the option or ability to receive is native to us all and as such we are accountable as to wether we chose to receive a love of the truth when it was offered.

It (for me) has the same feel as Hebrews 4:16 where we seek to “obtain” mercy... that word isn’t the same but is often translated as receive as well, the point being in both cases we find an active participle which again requires us to choose and act.
In John 17, Jesus prays (vs26b) asking “that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.”
Jesus did this so that we may know the “one true God “ vs 3

the “love of the truth” is, if not the same, a precursor to the “love of God” found here in Romans 5:8
And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us

So we have Jesus’s prayer in John 17 where He asked that the love wherewith God loves His son, would be in us-
The means by which God the Father answered that prayer in Romans 5 and the consequence of not having “received” this love in 2 Thess 2
Where in Hebrews 4 we see how to maintain or abide in this love/communion, namely by obtaining mercy on behalf of others which is the fruit of the “love of truth/God” 🙏🏻

2022/4/5 16:44Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Thanks for the Zac Poonen sermon. His words were edifying. He spoke of many different experiences that he has had as he walked the path of faith. So it must be with all who profess Christ.

He spoke of liberty at one point, this is part of what I have experienced over the process of time.

2022/4/5 23:16Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re: JFW

"And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us..."

I am poorly equipped concerning the knowledge of language structure. I appreciate your knowledge in discerning the content of Scripture. Zac Poonen mentioned the noble Bereans and that we should seek to be like the Bereans.

You quoted the Scripture above and I agree this speaks to what I have experienced in my own life concerning "receiving the love of the truth." For me, the word "hope" is the evidence of God's grace, the fruit created by God's workmanship in our lives. This fruit creates in us "hope." For we know that faith is the substance of what is hoped for, evidence of what is not seen.

So then, "substance" creates hope. How do you understand "substance"?

2022/4/5 23:21Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re: rookie

So then, "substance" creates hope. How do you understand "substance"?

Substance, in this case, is that which is real, actual... something that is founded. Yet this founding is not in itself done by us but by our forerunner-

(In my understanding), Jesus demonstrated what/how the substance of faith towards God lives and in doing so, laid the foundation and function of faith for all whom will follow after Him.

The substance or confidence that is produced by faith is the “hope” or action whereby we persist in our faith, itself being demonstrated or evidenced by joy 😇

again (for me) this substance is the evidence that the “love” was received, finding good ground, took root and produced fruit unto God. Which is to say that the faith that comes from having received the “love” will produce hope and this hope produces joy, all of which occurs by grace.

Peter comes to mind, when he stepped out of the boat on faith, his faith was indeed an actual substance capable of supporting him, until which time he lost focus on the object of his faith and answered the door where doubt/fear were knocking, at which point the “substance” lost its “ stance”
Whereas later, after Peters faith had been refined and tested, we see this “stance” was restored, being evidenced by hope and producing joy 🙏🏻

Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.
7 And he took him by the right hand, and lifted him up: and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength.
8 And he leaping up stood, and walked, and entered with them into the temple, walking, and leaping, and praising God.
9 And all the people saw him walking and praising God:
10 And they knew that it was he which sat for alms at the Beautiful gate of the temple: and they were filled with wonder and amazement at that which had happened unto him.
11 And as the lame man which was healed held Peter and John, all the people ran together unto them in the porch that is called Solomon's, greatly wondering.
12 And when Peter saw it, he answered unto the people, Ye men of Israel, why marvel ye at this? or why look ye so earnestly on us, as though by our own power or holiness we had made this man to walk?
13 The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let him go.
14 But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you;
15 And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses.
16 And his name through faith in his name hath made this man strong, whom ye see and know: yea, the faith which is by him hath given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all. ✝️

2022/4/6 8:10Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy