SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Access over 100,000+ Sermons from Ancient to Modern
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Unity in the church family by George Muller

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
EAGLEFLYING

Unity in the church family by George Muller

By George Müller

What will help us who believe in Christ to be more united together? One might say: "Oh, we must give up our differences." Allow me affectionately and humbly to say: "I do not think so." According to my judgment, a closer union would not be brought about by our giving up our own views of what we consider to be taught us by God and the Scriptures. Not thus, but the great point is to let the foundation truths of our holy faith have their proper place.

We have not to say: "Now I will put away for the time being all that I hold distinctively from my brethren." No; nor do I expect this from other brethren. With great diligence and prayerfulness, and, if necessary, great sacrifice, ought we to "buy the truth"; but having obtained it, for no price whatever is it to be sold. This is one side of the truth.

Unite on the Great Foundations

The other side is this: The foundations of our holy faith are so great, so momentous, and so precious, so altogether superabounding in comparison with anything else, that if we lived more under their influence and more valued and enjoyed them, we should be constrained to love one another, to be knit together in love.

We have the one, self-same Savior; by faith in the Lord Jesus we are all introduced into the same family; through believing the gospel we become the children of God, and members of the same heavenly family.

Now, if this were present to our hearts, that we all have one Father in heaven; one Savior; are all bought by the same precious blood, and baptized by the Holy Ghost into one Body; are all walking the same road to heaven, and ere long shall all reach the same Home--if all this were present to our hearts, I say, this or that difference of opinion would not separate or alienate us. There is a blessedness and sweetness connected with really holding the membership of the Body, and loving our fellow-believers, though we differ from them, that brings unspeakable joy to the soul.

– From Life Indeed

2022/2/9 21:27Profile
Platy

Re: Unity in the church family by George Muller

Yesterday I marked down the following verses in my daily reading and wrote down the theme as unity:

Luke 9:49-50 - [49] ¶ And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us. [50] And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us.

I John 4:11 - Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.

I John 4:20-21 - [20] If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? [21] And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

I John 5:1-3 - [1] Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him. [2] By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. [3] For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

Ruth 2:1-16 - [1] And Naomi had a kinsman of her husband’s, a mighty man of wealth, of the family of Elimelech; and his name was Boaz. [2] And Ruth the Moabitess said unto Naomi, Let me now go to the field, and glean ears of corn after him in whose sight I shall find grace. And she said unto her, Go, my daughter. [3] And she went, and came, and gleaned in the field after the reapers: and her hap was to light on a part of the field belonging unto Boaz, who was of the kindred of Elimelech. [4] ¶ And, behold, Boaz came from Beth-lehem, and said unto the reapers, The LORD be with you. And they answered him, The LORD bless thee. [5] Then said Boaz unto his servant that was set over the reapers, Whose damsel is this? [6] And the servant that was set over the reapers answered and said, It is the Moabitish damsel that came back with Naomi out of the country of Moab: [7] And she said, I pray you, let me glean and gather after the reapers among the sheaves: so she came, and hath continued even from the morning until now, that she tarried a little in the house. [8] Then said Boaz unto Ruth, Hearest thou not, my daughter? Go not to glean in another field, neither go from hence, but abide here fast by my maidens: [9] Let thine eyes be on the field that they do reap, and go thou after them: have I not charged the young men that they shall not touch thee? and when thou art athirst, go unto the vessels, and drink of that which the young men have drawn. [10] Then she fell on her face, and bowed herself to the ground, and said unto him, Why have I found grace in thine eyes, that thou shouldest take knowledge of me, seeing I am a stranger? [11] And Boaz answered and said unto her, It hath fully been shewed me, all that thou hast done unto thy mother in law since the death of thine husband: and how thou hast left thy father and thy mother, and the land of thy nativity, and art come unto a people which thou knewest not heretofore. [12] The LORD recompense thy work, and a full reward be given thee of the LORD God of Israel, under whose wings thou art come to trust. [13] Then she said, Let me find favour in thy sight, my lord; for that thou hast comforted me, and for that thou hast spoken friendly unto thine handmaid, though I be not like unto one of thine handmaidens. [14] And Boaz said unto her, At mealtime come thou hither, and eat of the bread, and dip thy morsel in the vinegar. And she sat beside the reapers: and he reached her parched corn, and she did eat, and was sufficed, and left. [15] And when she was risen up to glean, Boaz commanded his young men, saying, Let her glean even among the sheaves, and reproach her not: [16] And let fall also some of the handfuls of purpose for her, and leave them, that she may glean them, and rebuke her not.

Boaz is a type of Christ. Ruth is a stranger/different from the others but invited and accepted. Boaz's field could be a type of church/ministry.

Also noticed yesterday's top trending sermon on sermonaudio was "The Priority of Unity (Ephesians 4:2-6)" by John Macarthur.

https://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=222240434774

Also saved this random article yesterday from sermonindex:

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=42059

Anyway thanks for the post.

2022/2/10 4:47Profile
EAGLEFLYING

Re:

Thank u Platy,
yes I believe Unity is a pre requesit for revival.
If we could only look at our own hearts we all have sinned and fallen short. Rom 3:23. I believe GOD loves us all the same and we must especially in this hour see commonalitites.
My online Pastor J Kilpatrick " the enemy divides and subtracts.. GOD adds and multiplies."
I pray for more unity among us all and we can see the commonalities and not the differences in Jesus name.
In Him
Sister Frannie

2022/2/13 15:59Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy